Towing 2wd when should have been 4wd

Jun 16, 2008
Visit site
Oops! Further to the previous posting can anyone advise what damage can be done when towing the Shogun in 2wd instead of 4wd as recommended by Mitsubishi

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Sophie according to my manual it can over heat the oil to the diffs, mine is an Auto, l did have a1998 manual Shogun up to last week which l towed in 2wheel drive with no ill effects but obviously the new type shoguns are advised to tow in 4 wheel drive.

I asked the dealer last Friday about towing and they were still saying on tarmac 2 wheel drive was o/k but l shall do what Mitsubishi hand book states and tow in 4H.

I am sure someone on this forum will have the correct answer.

If their was no immediate problems i.e. noises coming from gear box or differentials l think you should be o/k, if you are still apprehensive then have mechanic take a look or a dealer.

NigelH

Dec 23, 2006
Visit site
Sophie as NGH says you must always tow in 4 wheel drive with a Shogun to stop the oil in the diff overheating.

The difference in M.P.G. is negligable.

HAMER

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Can anyone tell me where in the handbook it states use four wheel drive when towing? Just read mine three times and cant find it any where.Not disputing the info already written on here but would just like to clarify it.

As mine is the Shogun Sport 2002 would it be the same as the normal Shogun.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Gagakev, mine is a 3.2 DD on an 07 plate Auto, in my handbook its under towing trailers and states 4H must be selected to tow trailers.

I had the 2.8 Turbo Shogun 1998 model until last weekend and must admit towed in 2H with know problems, however this model was manual, l think your Shogun sport is a 2.5 with manual gearbox so l don't know if it will be the same as the new model Shoguns.

When l asked the question at the dealers when l picked up the new one last weekend they said tow on tarmac in 2H off road 4H, but having listened to Hammer on this forum l will do what the manual says and tow in 4H.

Hope this helps

NigelH

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
NigelH,Sorry should have said the Sport is 3.0 litre and Auto.

Have looked in H/book under towing trailers and there is no ref about which gears to use when actually towing. yes it says 2H on paved/highway etc and explains when to use 4H/4L but no mention at all about towing.Perhaps I should just stick to 2H,and hope for the best.

Gagakev

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
GagaKev your decision mine actually states 4H when towing, mine's diesel so their could be a difference for petrol versions.

Good luck

NigelH

PS l am surprised they wont tow in 2H, after all not much weight being towed against the weight and power of the car.

Jul 26, 2005
Visit site
The Shogun Sport/Challenger is a different car to the post 2000 Shogun 3.2/3.5 and uses the transmission and chassis set up of the older series 11 and 111 Shogun/Pajero.

It's axles are stronger and towing a trailer in 2WD will do no harm - there is therefore no warning in the handbook for this model.

The post 2000 GDI/DTI should have a warning label on the drivers door as well as an instruction in the handbook telling about towing only in 4WD.

Mitsubishi and the owners club advise that transmission damage could occur if the advice is ignored so that was good enough for me!

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Dave w, thanks for putting this one to bed, l had a 2.8 shogun pre 2000 and always towed in 2H, in 1 hours time the wife and l are on our way to Broadway in the Cotswolds and will be towing in 4H, only had this shogun 2 weeks will be interesting to see how she tows and what she returns in 4H, once again thanks for the info.

NigelH

Jul 26, 2005
Visit site
Dave w, thanks for putting this one to bed, l had a 2.8 shogun pre 2000 and always towed in 2H, in 1 hours time the wife and l are on our way to Broadway in the Cotswolds and will be towing in 4H, only had this shogun 2 weeks will be interesting to see how she tows and what she returns in 4H, once again thanks for the info.

NigelH
Hope you had a great time away NGH - the Cotswolds is one of my favourite places in UK.

By now you should have experienced towing in 4WD - doesn't feel any different really does it and I could never see much difference in the fuel consumption, maybe a mile per gallon less.

I used my shoggie mainly for towing so MPG was academic, I did forget to put it back in 2H a couple of times though and it did steer more crisply solo in 4H and felt more "planted" on the road.

I envy you as I had to sell mine - best towcar ever I found and I had a few!!

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Davidw

Thanks for the info,and was wondering if you could answer just one more question as you seemed to be well clued up,as I have stated earlier, I have up to now towed in 2H but the question is would I get better response/torque if I went in 4H as she does seem to struggle a bit on the steeper incline's? or is this to be expected as she is an auto, she can on occasion's take a while to drop down a gear and I have been known to manually change gear to get her back up to speed.

many thanks for any info

Gagakev

Jun 25, 2006
Visit site
I have read that the revs/torgue characteristics of diesel engines are not ideal matched to auto. gearboxes. I certainly found this when I had one, I often had to change down manually, so don't worry about doing it.

Jul 26, 2005
Visit site
Davidw

Thanks for the info,and was wondering if you could answer just one more question as you seemed to be well clued up,as I have stated earlier, I have up to now towed in 2H but the question is would I get better response/torque if I went in 4H as she does seem to struggle a bit on the steeper incline's? or is this to be expected as she is an auto, she can on occasion's take a while to drop down a gear and I have been known to manually change gear to get her back up to speed.

many thanks for any info

Gagakev
I had the 3.0 Auto in my 97 Shogun and found that flicking it out of overdrive before the revs dropped off was quite benificial, specially on motorway hills. The 3.0 motor liked it's revs to be over 2000 when towing and would often need second gear on hilly sections, it was good practice to anticipate and get in a lower gear early, to avoid labouring the engine and going too slowly.

You wouldn't gain anything powerwise by being in 4WD, the reverse actually as it would sap a bit of power by driving both axles instead of one.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Davidw

many thanks for any info

Gagakev
David W thanks for the info, will start to anticipate a bit earlier in the future. Thank again. Gagakev

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
All just got back from my first tow with the new Shogun 3.2 DD Auto, towed in 4H returned 21.5 MPG according to the computor, which looked about right has l had only used 3rd a tank for12o miles 50 of those miles on a roads the rest on the M6 and M5 well pleased with the car the auto box responded well,l have the facility to use it has a manual if so whished but didn't need it.

NigelH

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts