Towing abroad for the first time. Mirrors

May 13, 2005
Visit site
I am going to Germany this year and it will be my first time towing on the right. I am concerned about visibility when I want to overtake. I have mirror extentions but I dont think they give me a very good view on my near side. I drive a 51plate Renault Laguna. Any suggestions? Nigel

Mar 14, 2005
jondogoescaravanning.com
It's good that you are already aware of the danger, because it is a difficult manoeuvre, especially on single lane roads. Having a caravan on tow adds to the difficuly because of the slower acceleration and the additional length. So that the driver gets a better view down the side of the vehicle to be overtaken, it helps to stay well back.

May 4, 2005
Visit site
Nigel

Having spent 6 years stationed in Germany and having towed a cararvan for most of my leisure time there please be aware of a few different 'rules of the road' especially on some Autobahns. There are on many of them strict rules on what can and cannot overtake whilst on them, this applies to trucks, buses and caravans. You may find yourself stuck in the inside lane behind a truck and if you attempt to overtake believe me they will let you know! I made that mistake on the Autobahn heading down towards Switzerland - trucks, buses all flashing lights and horns - most embarrasing! With regard to A roads they tend to stick to the speed limits rigidly and the existence of the 'Boy Racer' element seems to be discouraged - they all head for the Autobahns. As the speed limit on A class roads is 100kph you should not find yourself being held up to much. It would also be a good idea to check the highway code for the continent as there are some very important differences with regards to 'Priority' roads and giving way at cycle crossings. Where are you going when you are there?

May 13, 2005
Visit site
Nigel

Having spent 6 years stationed in Germany and having towed a cararvan for most of my leisure time there please be aware of a few different 'rules of the road' especially on some Autobahns. There are on many of them strict rules on what can and cannot overtake whilst on them, this applies to trucks, buses and caravans. You may find yourself stuck in the inside lane behind a truck and if you attempt to overtake believe me they will let you know! I made that mistake on the Autobahn heading down towards Switzerland - trucks, buses all flashing lights and horns - most embarrasing! With regard to A roads they tend to stick to the speed limits rigidly and the existence of the 'Boy Racer' element seems to be discouraged - they all head for the Autobahns. As the speed limit on A class roads is 100kph you should not find yourself being held up to much. It would also be a good idea to check the highway code for the continent as there are some very important differences with regards to 'Priority' roads and giving way at cycle crossings. Where are you going when you are there?
Hi George, Im going to head towards Koblense I think, Im not too sure because I'm going with a friend. It was really the visibility problems that I was concerned about ,but if you can give me any advice I should be grateful. I was stationed in Germany in 1968 in Celle with the army air corps.

May 4, 2005
Visit site
Hi George, Im going to head towards Koblense I think, Im not too sure because I'm going with a friend. It was really the visibility problems that I was concerned about ,but if you can give me any advice I should be grateful. I was stationed in Germany in 1968 in Celle with the army air corps.
Nigel

If you are heading towards Koblenz there is a good site down by the 'Deutches Eck' (huge statue of Herman the German on a horse)where the Mosel and Rhine meet. We toured both the Rhine and Mosel valleys (Not to far from Bruggen or Laarbruch) and liked the sites at Boppard, Cochem and Bernkastel mind you I loved touring both valleys, especially during 'Wine Fests' Wish I was coming with you! We are planning a trip 2007 - less kids!

Apr 2, 2005
Visit site
Nigel

Speed limit towing a caravan in Germany is 50mph (80kph) on Autobahns. Some German outfits can now do 100kph but have to comply to very strict conditions and display 100 stickers on rear of van and front windscreen of car. Foreign (i.e. U.K.) vehicles can not comply. Beware very long range speed cameras on bridges and banks as there is now a scheme for recovering penalties in the U.K This may be the reason the previous writer was being flashed.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Nigel

I live about 60 miles from Koblenz, so if you need any more information, drop me a line: lschel@aol.com

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts