Towing in old age

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
The trouble is Beachball that it's usually a case of use it or lose it.
Mobility issues can be very dispiriting, not to mention painful at times, but what happens if you give up trying, adapting and living your life?
Never give up, never give in!
Hi Parksy Felt better after a good night sleep been to a shop had buy a few things we forgot to bring now relaxing having a coffee :)

Reactions: JezzerB and Parksy
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I am forever saying that phrase use it or loose it to my wife and brother in law, both are useless when using the tv remote control
We are the same three remotes plus home phone all are black and I often loose one as if one of the dogs are on my chair i will use another seat and take a remote with me. Then it gets covered by a jacket, or newspaper or parcel. Which then requires my wife to hunt around for it. I’m forever being asked to put them back on the coffee table by her seat. Water off as they say.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We are the same three remotes plus home phone all are black and I often loose one as if one of the dogs are on my chair i will use another seat and take a remote with me. Then it gets covered by a jacket, or newspaper or parcel. Which then requires my wife to hunt around for it. I’m forever being asked to put them back on the coffee table by her seat. Water off as they say.
I think that happens to all of us and can be annoying especially if the TV is not capable of being used manually until you find the remote. :ROFLMAO:

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Well i am younger then Hutch and today i have felt my years could not move from the car when we have arrived and beginning to wonder if it worth it :)
Sorry to hear that. We are all different and need to give up at different times, so have to just give in gracefully when our body tells us it has had anough. Just hope to keep going a few years more, but who knows what fate has in store, certainly not me.

Reactions: JezzerB
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Well i am younger then Hutch and today i have felt my years could not move from the car when we have arrived and beginning to wonder if it worth it :)
Sorry to hear that BB. How long had you driven without a break? Maybe time to book an over nighter on the way?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I think that happens to all of us and can be annoying especially if the TV is not capable of being used manually until you find the remote. :ROFLMAO:
Crikey wouldn’t know how to control the tv and sat box on manual. The buttons are well hidden, flush with the casings and the same colour and the info giving the purpose of each button is black too. Not user friendly at all.

Reactions: JezzerB
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Not good BB. Looks like a break on the hour will help.
We still go 5/6 hours non stop. That may change once I get my knee replacement. Kneeling down is my main worry going forward. May have to start taking my garden kneeling frame🙀

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We still go 5/6 hours non stop. That may change once I get my knee replacement. Kneeling down is my main worry going forward. May have to start taking my garden kneeling frame🙀
Sometimes finding a place to pull in on A roads can be a problems as many lay bys have HGV parked up for rest stops or someone has parked dead in the middle , hence preventing longer vehicles using it. I came down from Harbury Fields in Warwickshire on the Fosse and couldn’t find a spot for my 2 hour break so carried on for another 40 minutes to home. Since collecting a DVT in 2017 after a long haul from north Scotland I stop every 2 hours, or thereabouts for a ten minute walk about.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Travelling should be easier once your knee replacement has settled down - before I had mine done, the pain made driving uncomfortable.

Although I have no issues with an 8/10 hour driving day, (towing/solo) I would find 5-6 hour non-stop very tiring, especially having discovered the value of 5 mins "shut eye" after I retired - so I now stop every 2+ hours for a short break (but not long enough to recharge an EV battery :devilish:)

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Come on Roger 18 mins for the ev 6. ???!!! Re remotes we have the TV remote but the sky remote can operate the TV and so can the surround sound amp. So we have three options. Lose one but all 3, not yet but you never know.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Come on Roger 18 mins for the ev 6. ???!!! Re remotes we have the TV remote but the sky remote can operate the TV and so can the surround sound amp. So we have three options. Lose one but all 3, not yet but you never know.
Our phones and iPads can operate the tv and they rarely move away from either of us. And we can ring them from each other’s phone or even the house phone if we can find it.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
The Kia EV6 is a compact crossover, too small for my needs

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The Kia EV6 is a compact crossover, too small for my needs
Not really a compact crossover at nearly 4700mm, only 200mm less than Touareg and 200 mm longer than my Forester. US websites do refer to it as compact but against their normal vehicles sizes.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Kia ev6 the length ok width ok the one i am worried is the height it smaller then the Tiguan so might not suit my needs would have to try one and see . :)

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Not really a compact crossover at nearly 4700mm, only 200mm less than Touareg and 200 mm longer than my Forester. US websites do refer to it as compact but against their normal vehicles sizes.
It's not just about overall length, Compact is an international size, defined in great detail in the US based on internal space - I would need a bigger SUV than that, something bigger than Kia EV6 or Audi e-tron Q4.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
It's not just about overall length, Compact is an international size, defined in great detail in the US based on internal space - I would need a bigger SUV than that, something bigger than Kia EV6 or Audi e-tron Q4.
Thanks but I’ve not seen any UK review refer to it as Compact. It sits between Sportage and Sorento and in group reviews of compact crossovers it’s clearly quite a bit larger than Q2, TROC, Puma or Qashqai etc. Could you provide the link to the US definition please.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Thanks but I’ve not seen any UK review refer to it as Compact. It sits between Sportage and Sorento and in group reviews of compact crossovers it’s clearly quite a bit larger than Q2, TROC, Puma or Qashqai etc. Could you provide the link to the US definition please.
Q2, T-Roc and Puma are all sub-compacts.

Google is very easy to use - "The United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Fuel Economy Regulations for 1977 and Later Model Year (dated July 1996) includes definitions for classes of automobiles. Based on the combined passenger and cargo volume, compact cars are defined as having an interior volume index of 100–109 cu ft (2.8–3.1 m3)"

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Q2, T-Roc and Puma are all sub-compacts.

Google is very easy to use - "The United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Fuel Economy Regulations for 1977 and Later Model Year (dated July 1996) includes definitions for classes of automobiles. Based on the combined passenger and cargo volume, compact cars are defined as having an interior volume index of 100–109 cu ft (2.8–3.1 m3)"

Thank you I can use Google or even Bing. Whilst I accept the EPA definition, there’s also a good write up in Wikipedia, in UK or European usage the EV6 is hardly compact sitting as it does between the Sportage and Sorento. But if the US define the XC90 and Jeep Grand Cherokee as compact then I must reappraise my understanding to realign myself with US terminology.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Thank you I can use Google or even Bing. Whilst I accept the EPA definition, there’s also a good write up in Wikipedia, in UK or European usage the EV6 is hardly compact sitting as it does between the Sportage and Sorento. But if the US define the XC90 and Jeep Grand Cherokee as compact then I must reappraise my understanding to realign myself with US terminology.

Dunno where you got that - both the Volvo XC90 and Jeep Grand Cherokee are listed by EPA as Standard SUV 4wd Search by EPA Size Class (fueleconomy.gov) as we'd both expect.

I need something Sorento-sized but with more rear shoulder room - my Touareg is 75mm more there.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts