towing small car with motorhome

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
ps: If the axles of a horse box or twin axled caravan are less than 3 feet apart (I think that is the limit), they do not count as four-wheelers for the purposes of road traffic regulations. When towing a car on a dolly, the limit would undoubtedly be exceeded and you would have to have an LCV licence.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
The 750kg limit for unbraked trailers applies to the GROSS weight, not the kerb weight.

There are no cars, not even micro-cars, with a MAW under 750kg.

G

I had the Bessacar version of the Ace and I seem to remember a tow limit that was in the Swift handbook of 1200kg

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Legal or not is of no consequence to me. However these car tuggers need avoidance at all costs.

I and my father in law were towing our two caravans in covoy in the North West Highlands of Scotland last year. We approached a blind bend on a single track road cautiously. Just around the apex I stopped as lead vehicle and saw a motorhome approaching in the other direction. Instead of pulling into the passing place , he continued some 20 feet on.

He refused to reverse because he had a small car on the back and said reversing was impossible!

Dad in law abused his parentage and with great difficulty we had to reverse two caravans some 50 yards back, around the blind bend to the previous passing place. The tos-er didn't even say thank you.

So can they reverse or not??

Now you know why I am not a fan .

Cheers

Alan

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Colin - the law states that a four wheeled trailer of over 750kg in weight must have brakes fitted so that when the towing vehicle slows down the over riding brake on the trailer are operated. That is to say that the brakes of the car must be operative. There is no mention of the servo being operative which could result in heavy loading on the towing vehicle as the trailer vehicle brakes would be poor. The fact that you were not stopped by the law in the 5 years of towing such an outfit is your good fortune. Possibly it was because it is accepted as common practice that it is generally overlooked by the average constable.

I owned a motorhome and enquired into this as I thought of using my son's Fiesta as a run around. However the cost of adapting the car or the purchase of a car trailer was such that it was one of the reasons we returned to a car and caravan. Also when towing a car on a trailer I might as well be towing a caravan, plus the expence of two lots of road tax, insurance and fuel not to mention depreciation of both vehicles.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
"Yes,

As a recently joined paticipant, I can clearly see why this thread is on "Practical Caravan" forum!!!!"

The Practical Motorhome forum would probably say that towing anything is legal.

May 4, 2005
Visit site
I've found the thread very helpful as we are changing to a motorhome soon I hope . I was going to use an A frame, I know they are not legal but chances of getting stopped are pretty remote. But now because we are not buying a small car but leaseing one though my wifes job we will have to use a trailer.

Luckily on the 15th I start a new job as a caravan salesman for a local Bailey dealer that also sells and hires trailers.

So should keep the costs down ;O)

Brian

May 4, 2005
Visit site
With a camera and passenger help if needed as far as I want.

Trust me I met two motorhomes last year that couldn't reverse and they were not towing.I had to reverse my twin axle in a lane to let then pass.

Brian

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Brian

No . Many years ago I had a NR Nimrod trailer tent and that was no different to towing a caravan as far as reversing goes.

I guess that idiot in Scotland who couldn't reverse because he couldn't see his smart rs car stuck on the back ha sprejudiced me..

Cheers

Alan

Jan 14, 2007
Visit site
Whoa there gentlmen,that was a lively debate wasn,t it ?

many thanks for all the pearls of wisdom,said motorhome owner(not me honestly) freely admits he can,t reverse to save his life and is now considering time share in tenerife!!!

But seriously do a google search on car-a-tow and it comes up with all legalities,

thanks to all posts

Gary

Mar 11, 2007
Visit site
Hi everyone.

I know the law states that trailers (of any sort) above certain criteria need brakes but is there any requirement in law in terms of the efficiency of said trailer brakes?

Over to you Lutz

Brum

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Cars are required to meet a minimum braking efficiency during annual MOT test - caravans have no such test, perhaps they should?

Mar 11, 2007
Visit site
Thanks Roger but I knew about Mot Test brake efficinccy (Service brake 50% min and Parking Devive 16%, but I posed my question when reading some of the above posts concerning the connection method and operation of the towed vehicle's brakes without the servo in operation.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
As there is no such thing as an MOT for trailers and caravans, there can be no minimum performance requirements, but if brakes are required, to comply with the intent of the law, it would be silly not to apply the same minimum standards as for cars. It is doubtful whether this can be achieved without the servo in operation, if one is provided.

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
hi all

to colin(bridgend) hi, sorry I did not reply to your post earlier but I dont get on the forum much these days.

anyway, I dont disagree with your comments entirely however certain facts should be borne in mind, my motorhome was a convertion of the LT35 maxibus (not minibus) as it had originally been a 18 seater it was almost 20feet in length 9ft 6in high and almost 7 feet wide and based on the long wheelbase 7.5 tonner it weighed in at around 3.5ton (class 5 mot)and had a carrying capacity of 3 ton (as a van) also a max tow weight of 3ton so it wasn't small but we loved it.

the reason for towing the fiesta mainly arose as it was too big to commute with it wouldn't go under barriers in carparks and supermarkets and took up two parking places which had to be inline and needed two tickets in order to park the only feesable place to park was on the out skirts of any town we called at you know the ones with lorries and coaches on,(taking note of this brian??).

already owning a fiesta as a second vehicle (so no extra cost involved)it seemed reasonable to take it with us and commute and tour round in the car leaving the bus (pet name) on site,it would also save a small fortune in petrol(14mpg) over the duration of our holiday.

after doing a bit of research I decided that a dolly made out of a cut down caravan chassis (with brakes)would be legal and made a trailer board with lights triangles ect, and had a "on tow" no plate made that went over the car rear plate while towing.

and that was it really used it for 5 years toured the country from one end to the other and never had a problem with it,(exept once when I forgot to leave the ign key in the lock and the trailer did not want to go round corners (because the steering lock engaged) the motor home was so big and heavy the extra weight of the trailer made no differance to the performance it was like it was not there at all.

BTW. reversing never caused a problem as it had two pivot points so could be shuntered into any position required anyway I had a class 2 hgv licence so it was a bit smaller than than my work transport.

hope this explaines it a bit more,

colin

Oct 29, 2021
spinner28.wixsite.com
:ROFLMAO:Okay, I accept thia was a very old post, but so am I !

The post is total rubbish! Legality is not decided by the number of people that do it, it's decided by legislation!

Folik speed daily, It doesn't legalize it!
Gary, there are thousands of motor home owners doing it so it can't be illegal.

Ray

Oct 29, 2021
spinner28.wixsite.com
I wrote this article way back in 1998!

Shame you didn't credit me for it but I'll right that wrong here and now! :)

For info, my most recent blog is at https://spinner28.wixsite.com/tonys-towing-trivia

From www.ukcampsite.co.uk/articles/view.asp?id=18

Towing behind a motorhome. What you should know

If you are thinking of fitting a towbar to your motorhome, just check a couple of things before you start.

Firstly, do you actually have the spare capacity to do it? If your vehicle handbook does not list a towing limit, have a look at the VIN plate. This should give the Gross Train Weight (the largest figure) followed by the Maximum Gross Weight. Two other figures you would expect to see are Axle Weights. Deduct the MGW from the GTW and the difference would normally be your maximum towing limit.

Secondly, check the wheelbase of the vehicle (centre of front axle to centre of rear axle) and then measure the overhang (the distance from the centre of the rear axle to the extreme back). The overhang can go up to 60% of the wheelbase and the towbar needs to fit within this limit.

If your vehicle has an Al-Ko chassis, do not allow the fitter to drill extra holes for the towbar mounting. Your chassis warranty would be invalidated.

Braked versus unbraked

To tow without brakes on the trailer, the Maximum Gross Weight of that trailer must not exceed 750 kgs or half the Kerbside Weight of the towing vehicle, whichever is the least. Unbraked trailers must be clearly marked with the year of manufacture and their Maximum Gross Weight. If built after 1/1.97, they must have a secondary coupling fitted.

Braked trailers manufactured after 1968 must have brakes on all wheels. If built after October 1982, an hydraulically damped over-run coupling is required and, if built after April 1989, the trailer must have an auto-reverse brake mechanism which meets the efficiency laid down in EC directive 71/320. Additionally, braked trailers need to have a breakaway cable fitted which is capable of operating the handbrake mechanism if the trailer becomes detached from the towing vehicle, it is an offence not to use it and, it must be 'securely attached' to the towing vehicle. It is unlikely that merely looping round the towball would be considered a secure attachment!

'A' frames and Dollies

Q. What is a trailer?

A. A road vehicle, usually (but not necessarily) two wheeled, towed by a motor vehicle.Given the above dictionary definition, it is fairly clear that anything attached to the towball and having wheels in contact with the ground is a trailer. This includes cars on 'A' frames and dollies. Bearing in mind that the unbraked towing limit of 750 kgs refers to Maximum Gross Weight (i.e. the figure on the towed cars VIN plate) and not to actual weight, it severely restricts the options. The only cars I know of with a MGW of less than 750 kgs is the Aixam range. These are around 450 to 550 kgs.

There are strict regulations on braked trailers and, whilst a braked 'A' frame attached to a towed car constitutes a braked trailer, it is not legal for transportation as it cannot comply with EC71/320. With car dollies, the situation is somewhat different. Under regulation 83 of the Road Vehicles (construction & Use) Regulations 1986 (SI.1986/1078) Amending Regulations, a car dolly, with a car in place, will be considered as two trailers. This is legal for recovery but, under the Road Traffic Regulations Act 1984 (Schedule 6) the combination is limited to 40 mph on motorways and dual carriageways and 20 mph elsewhere.

Note that there is a very specific difference between recovery and transportation. Recovery is the removal of a broken down vehicle to a place of safety. It does not include removing a rotor arm (for instance) and travelling the length and breadth of the country. The police are well aware of the difference due to the regulations covering Tachographs and Operators Licences. Recovery vehicles are exempt.

It is well known that some countries in the EEC tend to overlook the regulations (the UK included) but some countries don't. The situation regarding enforcement could change at any time and, as a result, the only safe way to transport another vehicle behind a motorhome is on a car transporter trailer. Play safe! Don't take the risk!

The regulations which cover this aspect of towing are:-

91/438/EEC covers driving licences.

71/320/EEC covers auto reverse braking systems and couplings.

S.I. 1971 No 450 Part III covers the obstruction of number plates.

94/20/EEC covers type approval of towing equipment and 'S' and 'D' values.

95/48/EEC covers Masses and Dimensions of M1 class vehicles.

E.T.R.T.O. 1991 section 13 covers wheels and tyres.

BSAU 113c covers 50mm ball and coupling dimensions.

BSAU 24a (1989) covers eye couplings and pin/jaw arrangements.

98/12/EEC covers brake linings and will be implemented in the UK from 1/4/01.And not strictly towing but applicable to motorhomes is EN1648-1 covers extra low voltage installations in Leisure Vehicles and Caravans.

Disclaimer

The information in this guide is as accurate as the writer is able to make it, however, no responsibility can be accepted for any inaccuracies which may be in the text. It is the responsibility of any person wishing to depend on the facts to check for themselves with original documentation or any updating regulations, instruments or changes in the law. Interpretation of the law is a matter for the courts.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
:ROFLMAO:Okay, I accept thia was a very old post, but so am I !

The post is total rubbish! Legality is not decided by the number of people that do it, it's decided by legislation!
Folik speed daily, It doesn't legalize it!

Hi Tony
Rather than attempting to resurrect a post that's over thirteen years old, it would have been much better to start a new thread.
Many of the members who took part in the original discussion from 2008 no longer frequent this forum.

I wrote this article way back in 1998!
Shame you didn't credit me for it but I'll right that wrong here and now! :)

For info, my most recent blog is at https://spinner28.wixsite.com/tonys-towing-trivia
The quoted article was credited.
Ray C added a link to UK Campsite, which is where he found your article.
There was no information about the author involved in the UK Campsite article, so I don't see how anyone here could possibly have credited you as the author.
It's usual for new Practical Caravan forum members to read the rules for the use of this forum and to adhere to these guidelines.
If you had read and understood these few simple rules you would have seen that we prefer forum members not to add links to their own third party websites or for any form of self promotion.
If your link had navigated to a commercial enterprise your comment would have been deleted.
This isn't the case, so rather than deleting your link I'm locking this thread in order to discourage necro posting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts