Towing to channel ports in winter

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
I've always been tempted to travel to Portugal, Spain or France with my caravan for a winter break but the main thing which stops me is the possibility of planning the break then being prevented by winter weather (ie ice or snow) in making the journey to the channel ports from Glasgow.
I am sure that others must share this fear.
It always has surprised me that many have not been prevented from making the trip by these possibilities. Why?
Thoughts, beliefs, experiences and solutions on this would be very welcomed.

Thanks,
Dave

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
We have been going to Spain for a couple of months either side of Christmas for the last few years now. We are due to go again towards the end of February. Yes, there could be snow, but believe me it is well worth the risk to be able to spend part of the winter in warmer climates. Travelling down to Portsmouth (from North Lancashire) we don't seem to see many caravans/motorhomes, but when you arrive at the Port, there they all are! You just need to plan en route campsites, and keep an eye on the long range forecast.

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
If you don't make the ferry in time because of the weather does the ferry company let you transfer your reservation without penalty/ restriction?
Dave

Jan 1, 2010
Visit site
Hi Dave If you use Dover to Calais or Dunkirk, it is more or less a case of turn up and they will put you on the next available sailing, it`s slightly more awkward on Portsmouth sailings due to time/distance of the ferries. We travel down from Carlisle, we travel through the night as a rule, Pompey is roughly 7-8 hours drive, so that will be about 10 for you, Dover is about 7, 9ish for you. We used Norfolkline last summer, just under £40.00 each way with the CC, couldn`t fault it. We got to Dunkirk the day before we were booked on the way back, we just had to pay the difference in the fare, and they put us on the next ferry in, superb service.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I've been leaving UK for Spain bewteen Christmas and New Year for about 9 years now and have always made it. The makor problem recently was getting out of our lane, but the port (plymouth) and the main raods to it were fine. Friends on the same site had a problem at Portsmouth early December whne the snow took everyone by surprise and the ferry parking lot was dangerous.

If you follow the weather, the SE of England tends to get the worst in the south and several years running the motorways have been 'lorry parks' for several days, so that is clearly a risk with the short crossings - would be difficult to get to Eurotunnel too.

I'll risk chance by saying there is often a window over the Christmas / New Year week with worse bofore and after, but that's not very scientific. The other advantage of the end of December is that the HGV traffic in France and Spain is drastically reduced and the driving is very much easier particulalry if you arfe on your first trip. This is not anti HGV - the vast majority are excellent, helpful and courteous, but there are just less of the - perhaps 80% - at this time of year.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts