towing with a 306

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
Hi new to all this so looking for advice. want to upgrade from camping to caravan and need to know if car will tow. I have got a peugeot 306 1.6 2000 model(W reg) already got towbar with single electric whitch i tow trailer when i go camping. trailer is 5ft x 3ft and it pulls that no problem when its full it can get a bit heavy any advice will be great

Sep 10, 2007
Visit site
The pug weights little over a ton which means the heaviest you could tow safely (as a beginner) would be less than 850kgs - which isnt much!

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
Unfortunately kenneth your car only has 89 bhp and a very low torque figure of 100 pound per foot(assuming its the 1.6 petrol injection) so the engine is whofully underpowered for any caravan really, the cars kerbweight is round about 1200 kgs and allthough i do not know the max tow figure it really cant be very high.

Even with the lightest caravan i would think this car would prove inadequate allthough weight wise the smallest light weight lunar ariva would be about an 83% match but the engine would still struggle to pull it.

If you really want a caravan you should look at a good diesel car first once you have found out the weight of the van you like.

good luck.

Aug 25, 2006
Visit site
Whilst I will agree that a 306 is a light car, it will pull a caravan if sensibly matched.

Back in the late eighties I had a 406 (1.6 petrol) as a company car, and it pulled our Lunar Sunbeam (4 berth) with no problems, including trips to Cornwall, West Wales and the Scottish Highlands.

It was streets ahead of my previous 1.8 and 2.0 litre Sierras, (quicker solo in real use as well).

I don`t think Kenneths problem is so much his car, as the ever increasing caravan weights of today.

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
Whilst I will agree that a 306 is a light car, it will pull a caravan if sensibly matched.

Back in the late eighties I had a 406 (1.6 petrol) as a company car, and it pulled our Lunar Sunbeam (4 berth) with no problems, including trips to Cornwall, West Wales and the Scottish Highlands.

It was streets ahead of my previous 1.8 and 2.0 litre Sierras, (quicker solo in real use as well).

I don`t think Kenneths problem is so much his car, as the ever increasing caravan weights of today.
I think you mean a 405? The 406 came out in 1996 and the base motor was a 16v 1.8 petrol. Both excellent cars although 405's were ever such a bit fragile trim-wise. I agree the problem these days is the weights getting a bit mad as the market demands more and more mod-cons. I mean, the fridge in a Bailey Senator S6 is bigger than the one in my house and do we REALLY need an electric flush lavvy, hands up who has one of those at home?

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
thanks for the advice i was rather hoping my car would pull something as i dont really want to go changing my car just yet. I would only need a small 2 berth with a double bed as its only me the mrs and our young daughter using it and hopefully get an awning so it would create a little more space most 2 berths ive seen are about 7-900kgs

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
was wondering if anyone has actually used a 306 to tow a caravan i have towed brother in laws megane which i believe weighs about 1200kg for about 2-3 miles when it had to go to the garage for repairs and it handled that ok but how would it handle a caravan on a long journey? any help

Aug 25, 2006
Visit site
I think you mean a 405? The 406 came out in 1996 and the base motor was a 16v 1.8 petrol. Both excellent cars although 405's were ever such a bit fragile trim-wise. I agree the problem these days is the weights getting a bit mad as the market demands more and more mod-cons. I mean, the fridge in a Bailey Senator S6 is bigger than the one in my house and do we REALLY need an electric flush lavvy, hands up who has one of those at home?
Yes, you`re correct Paul, the wine had already taken hold by then.

It was a petrol 405, later superceded by a 405 TD, then a 406TD.

All good cars, but the 406 had too much body and not enough engine!

Aug 25, 2006
Visit site

Yes, you`re correct Paul, the wine had already taken hold when I typed that.

The petrol 405 was superceded by a 405TD then a 406TD, all being good cars, but the 406 being a victim of too much body, not enough engine.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts