Towing with a Honda CRV

Hi, I am returning to caravaning after twenty odd years. The last time i towed a van was with a Mk1 Granada(yes that long ago)I have just purchased a Honda CRV (manual) as a second car complete with tow bar already fitted. Are there any CRV owners or past owners that can fill me in on the 'nitty gritty' of this vehicle as a towcar. Thanks

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I too am thinking about getting one so have asked the same question on another forum. There wasn't much negative feedback although a couple of points were:

1. The nose weight limit on the tow hitch on pre 05 models is only 60kg. The current model has uprated suspension allowing 100kgs.

2. If you have an alko 2004 or 3004 stabiliser you may well find on the post 02 CR-V models that the spare wheel obstructs it operation. However, AL-KO are bringing out a retro-fit handle in about April at a cost of

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Yep, just let one go. We towed a fleetwood 500-5 with it. Not the heaviest 4x4, You have to use the rev range, but dont let that put you off, its a v-tec afterall. Big problem is the 45 litre fuel tank. That gives you less than 150 mile range when towing.

Hi, Thanks for the feedback. How heavy is the fleetwood 500-5 Tim?

Dave, I spoke to a technical guy at one of the tow bar companies here is his reply 'All tow bars are rated between 50 and 100kgs. The nose weight is always specified by the vehicle manufacturer and adhered to by the tow bar manufacturer. The nose weight will be listed in your handbook and is merely there to put slight pressure on the ball so as to give stability, I can not see why this is considered low and should in no way affect the way that this vehicle tows. However if you feel that you require slightly more nose weight you can always achieve this in the way you load the Caravan prior to towing rather than beefing up the suspension that might not even achieve this'.

I am inclined to believe what he said as I was more than willing to purchase heavy duty suspension and he could quite easily have took my money.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi, Thanks for the feedback. How heavy is the fleetwood 500-5 Tim?

Dave, I spoke to a technical guy at one of the tow bar companies here is his reply 'All tow bars are rated between 50 and 100kgs. The nose weight is always specified by the vehicle manufacturer and adhered to by the tow bar manufacturer. The nose weight will be listed in your handbook and is merely there to put slight pressure on the ball so as to give stability, I can not see why this is considered low and should in no way affect the way that this vehicle tows. However if you feel that you require slightly more nose weight you can always achieve this in the way you load the Caravan prior to towing rather than beefing up the suspension that might not even achieve this'.

I am inclined to believe what he said as I was more than willing to purchase heavy duty suspension and he could quite easily have took my money.
I do not think there are suspension upgrades for the 2002 -2004 CRV , such as Monroes or MAD springs. In any event fitting these to any vehicle will not allow you to exceed the limit set by the manufacturer.

TRENDING THREADS