Towing with a non turbo petrol Subaru.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Well after selling the XC70 outfit in March 2014 we've come to the conclusion that we have missed our caravan holidays. So we looked at motor homes and campers but they didn't do it for us. Whilst the camping breaks have been good they seem to complement other holidays rather than substitute.
So after Xmas we plan to look for a caravan but wanting something lighter than our last one. After selling our last outfit we decided to simplify our motoring and go for a petrol non turbo car with a good safety and relibiilty record. And over the last 18 months the Subaru has been first rate. However I haven't found out what they are like as tow cars. I've seen a test of the 150bhp diesel and its chassis seemed to be okay as regards managing an 85% van. Mine is the SJ Forester 2014 Lineatronic 150 bop petrol. I'm looking at something with a MTPLM of around 1250kg but with a payload of 250kg app. So up for consideration are smaller vans that can be stored on the drive and should be within the Subaru capability. IE Eriba Troll, HymervFeeling, Trigano Silver etc.

My last non turbo petrol tow car was a 1994 136 bhpn Mondeo which towed quite well albeit with the need for a few revs now and again. The Subaru certainly doesn't mind revs anyway. So I'd be interested to hear from anyone of their towing experience with a non turbo Forester or other Subaru such as Outback or Legacy, especially on long inclines or passes abroad.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I have towed with various makes of petrol engined cars and never had a problem although none were Subaru. They do need a few extra revs when setting off and are not as flexible as diesels but other than that they are reasonable. Given the weight of caravan you are looking at the Subaru should be perfectly capable as I think it is more towing at the limit that can be a problem with petrol engines.
Looking at your choice of caravan I would add the Lunar Arriva which is probably more comfortable and less compromised than most you list.

Feb 6, 2009
Visit site
Hi otherclive,

I have only just seen your post, but wanted to say what a good choice the Subaru Forester is for "normal" use and especially for towing.

We had an 05 plate Forester 2 litre normally aspirated petrol engine model as a tow car for a few years and it was great. No problems with it at all (although fuel consumption was a tad ( slightly) higher than other competitor cars).

In the snow, ice or bad weather, or on muddy fields the all wheel drive (permanent) was unbeatable.

We often take our caravan down to Exmoor and the hills around there can be quite a challenge for "ordinary" tow cars, but a piece of cake for the Forester.
Countisbury Hill, even Porlock Hill via the toll road held no terrors for the Forester or us!

It is not unknown to see a Forester on Exmoor with a heavy Rice trailer behind, with a 16.2 hunter on board, complete with all tack, and taking it all in their stride!

I don't want to sound like an advocate for Subaru but we are on our 5th or 6th one now ( current one is an 60 plate) and over the last 25 years or so (when we first started driving Subaru) nothing has gone wrong, everything just works.

I can't speak for the latest models 2014 and 2015 etc.... I just hope they haven't "improved it" and mucked it up!
I've no connection with Subaru (only as a satisfied owner)

All our Subarus have been petrol 2 litre, non turbo and with the "low ratio" operated by a short lever at the side of the normal gear lever..... in low ratio I reckon the Subaru would pull the van up the "side of a house," and stop it the other side!

Regards to all, and of course
Happy Caravanning
paws

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
I have never towed with a Subaru as our vans have been too heavy. However I was brought up on them and spent much of my childhood sat in the car whilst we were towing. The flat four boxer loves revs so not a problem there. We started with a F series, through L series and onto Legacies, they were all non turbo and all towed well.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Well not being one to rush a decision we have finally decided to buy another caravan. Although not wishing to change what is a great car we have bought a Trigano Silver 420DD pop top. It will be a different experience to our previous caravanning experiences but we are very adaptable. I pick it up on Friday. Unlike earlier Subarus the current generation Forester with CVT gearbox does not have a low ratio setting, but the Trigano is well within its towing capability. I agree totally about Subaru reliability as my daughter had a Legacy which just went on and on, and the TrueDelta website shows the reliability statistics which are still very good compared to a lot of rivals. So as we only retained a few awning pegs from our previous caravanning life its quite exciting starting up again, but not cheap!

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
I would love to have a diesel engine in a car with enough BHP to do the job without having a turbo to give you that extra bit of power, I can remember in the 60's when Gardner diesel engines had the monopoly on commercial diesel engines in the UK, ERF, Atkinson, Seddon and others lorry manufacturers would use Gardners for their first choice of engine,but because of competition from the States Gardners started to put turbo's on their 6LX engine which then uprated the engine from 150 BHP to 180 BHP then called the LXB, the reason for this was competitiion from American engine manufacturer Cummins Diesels who had their own range of commercial engines, consequently Cummins introduced their 220 BHP so Gardner then produced their 6LX 150 with two extra cyclinders which then produced 240 BHP - 8LXB,

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Well we have had a number of outings withe the outfit, including a trip to South Wales. The car's engine performance is fine in that it does pretty well what i expected. When accelerating or going up hill the CVT gearbox lets the revs rise but with a gentle right foot you can easily control the revs without compromising acceleration, or holding up following traffic. The most I saw on the rev meter was 4500 rpm, but at normal 60mph on the motorway it was down to around 2100rpm. Fuel economy was 25mpg over 200 mile trip, which is acceptable given the car wasn't bought for economy or towing use. Having cam chain, and no turbo were two principal factors in the decision to buy, oh and a very good reputation for safety and reliability too.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts