Towing with a pick up truck who does it?

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
Why would a "Commercial vehicle " transfer any more load, than say a car, ie Sante Fe, / Kuga, etc. to a caravan chassis if there is a damper on the tow hitch. The vertical load on the tow vehicle, does not come into consideration,?

The loads in question are those resulting from vibrations that occur when towing. Some are caused by the caravans wheels on the road surface, but a significant amount is also derived from the coupling to the tow vehicle. The vibrations occur in all directions, and undoubtedly the hitch damper will damp some but mainly low frequency motion but higher frequencies tend to pass through, Because the damper act only in the horizontal axis it has no effect on any vertical motion the hitch experiences.

Consequently if the tow vehicle has less compliant springing, its rear will generate more aggressive vertical vibrations, these will be translated through the hitch to the trailer.

Sep 16, 2018
Visit site
Going back to the original question....whilst waiting for our new outlander to get a towbar the dealer lent us an L200 to tow with. All the power you could want, but the most uncomfortable ride ever, I reckon with a few hundred kilos in the back it might have been ok but with just out weekend stuff in it was not good, and must have shaken the van up a lot.

Never again,. Maybe the Navara is ok but not with an L200

The outlander (diesel) is great.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
We chose the Navara due to it's fuel consumption vfm and the suspension; one of the few trucks with proper multilink coil spring rear suspension with dual rate springs so it's softer empty and firms up when loaded- we have a Mini Roadster and it is comfier than that but not as comfy as our Duster was-it's on the sporty side of firm. We are VERY VERY impressed so far-37mpg and complete luxury for 26k! Yet to tow with it-it even has trailer sway assist . The only disadvantage we can see so far is it doesn't fit in a supermarket parking space easily!

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
Bit late to this one, but I don't think anyone mentioned Andrew Ditton (caravan journalist) who tows with a Nissan Navara; he has never mentioned any ill effects of towing with a 'commercial' vehicle and he is currently towing a 1971 Sprite Alpine.

Reactions: JezzerB
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
CustardAvenger said:
Bit late to this one, but I don't think anyone mentioned Andrew Ditton (caravan journalist) who tows with a Nissan Navara; he has never mentioned any ill effects of towing with a 'commercial' vehicle and he is currently towing a 1971 Sprite Alpine.

But they dont build them like they used to. Early Sprites had swinging arm suspension that really did soak up the bumps. But in those days there weren't any bumps other than in Belgium and France :whistle:

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
JezzerB said:
.................... The only disadvantage we can see so far is it doesn't fit in a supermarket parking space easily!

The other well known disadvantage of a pick up especially if towing.....is the unloaded rear axle and its propensity to loose grip if it is carrying little weight.
Fitting a hard top and loading the rear end as much as possible will give a smoother safer tow as you are probably aware.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Yes;hard top fitted and large awning plus the 'liquid refreshment' stocks in the rear should about sort it! We have always loaded the car rather than the caravan as our last car was marginal on weight v the caravan's anyway! Ours is the new version with trailer sway assist and of course the caravan has atc too. If we struggle for grip on site we have 4x4 and low ratio too.

Oct 22, 2019
Visit site
Hi, just registered so I could offer our opinion - we've had a Navara since New year and had several trips out with it. It tows our Conqueror 645 very well - we've got a hard top and put some weight in there and the awning over the van axle for a bit of balance. The cabin ride is good and comfy on long trips and mpg is good too.
With regard to supermarket spaces, I can go round the car park several times till I've found my spot, I always go for one where there's a path/border in front so I can get my nose well over. Also, get a divider for the back as shopping always ends up at the front and you end up clambering in after it!

• Haha
Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
We're really needing a divider-so expensive for the Nissan on and the universal type ones look like a bar and net-bit flimsy! Any advice very welcome.

Also which year Nav have you-ours is the new revised one with higher rear supspension-dual rate springs. Nissan genuine towball seems to be Alko compatible but seems quite high off the ground? How do you find it?

Oct 22, 2019
Visit site
Hi Jezzer, ours is a 68 reg. Towed both a 2016 single and 2018 double axle with it. Dealer fit Towball seems ok with caravan hitched, seems to sit fairly level and it also has a 'proper job' of towing plant trailer and digger, so does both jobs for us - work and play!
With regard to divider we were lucky to drop on a 2nd hand one of an auction site for £100. £300-£400 is ridiculous amount for a new one but wouldn't want to be without it and you can slide them forwards and back to hold stuff depending - we put aqua roll and wastemaster in along with box of wood chocks, food etc in the back when away.

I think older caravans may be lower and not sit aswell as our dealer asked us how we found it as a customer said their's didn't fit too well for sitting level.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
That is brilliant thank you Jungle Jim- really appreciated; we'll hold out for an auction site bargain too I think while we save up-and worst comes to worst buy a new one ! Pick the new van up Friday so hopefully we'll be ok then! Thanks again
J

Sep 12, 2015
Visit site
w e tow a 2008 bessacarr 625 with a 2009 nissan navara automatic when we queried this with swift we had a reply from there group technical director called Andy spacey who said that it is a passenger based vehicle i see no issues hope this helps this was on the swift talk forum dated 5 june 2011.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
w e tow a 2008 bessacarr 625 with a 2009 nissan navara automatic when we queried this with swift we had a reply from there group technical director called Andy spacey who said that it is a passenger based vehicle i see no issues hope this helps this was on the swift talk forum dated 5 june 2011.
The important point about this, if you should experience any sort of towing related damage, and it comes to the attention of the caravan manufacturer that you have used a "commercial" vehicle they might decline a claim if they have the phrase in their t&C's.

If the caravan guarantee has the phrase and you intend using any vehicle that might be classed as "commercial"
you would be wise to clear it with the manufacturer in writing.

These days you can't guarantee getting away with it, as who knows who has posted a picture on social media with your outfit in view!

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
If you contact your caravan maker direct they will tell you that trucks are classed as passenger based vehicles and fine to tow. Only Lunar were going against this from my research, so no issues with warranty etc. As Prof says though get it in writing. The more we tow with the NAvara the more we realise we've done the right thing-it's all the car we'd ever need too. Comfy for everyday use and economical. As for a lack of rear end grip-only had them slip unloaded on a farm field while walking the dog and that is what the 4wd is for! With the caravan on rear end grip is significantly enhanced and it doesn't actually feel like we are towing 2000kgs of Buccaneer! In fact i have to use the mirrors a lot to remind me we are towing!

Oct 12, 2016
Visit site
Before we took delivery of our Navara in 2016 I contacted Swift to get their take on towing with a commercial. They were fine with it as the Nissan has multi link coil sprung suspension. Fitted a Witter towbar and Nissan electrics myself. With a tonne payload everything apart from waste and water hogs and a couple of chairs go easily into the back of the truck (fitted with a hardtop). Even empty there’s nothing ‘light’ about the rear end , talk about them being unstable empty is pure tosh.
The Navara served us well for 3 years as a towing and daily driver. Comfy, deceptively quick and economical I’d recommend them, or any modern pickup as a towcar, just so versatile as long as you’re comfortable driving a BIG vehicle.
Just changed it for a Ssangyong Musso. Every bit as good as the Nissan, coil springs again.
Based on the Rexton it’s very refined. Unbelievably quiet, very smooth as long as there’s a bit of weight over the axle (Hardtop and towbar suffice here). Lots of toys like heated and cooled seats, heated steering wheel, very well upholstered and comfortable too. Came with a free towbar courtesy of CMHC membership. It’s a little shorter than the Navara which for me is a bonus as it will fit in the garage!

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Good to know-we were tempted, but the deal on the Nissan was too good to miss. And we're more than happy with it-31mpg last time out towing and we even managed to caravan and take an electric buggy in the back first time out-plus spare gas bottle,(I broke my foot-sorted now). Wife who had never towed before in her life drove it like a dream. I'm a lucky man! They make great towers, very stable and as you say, total rubbish about the back end being light. It's all the car we'll ever need with oodles of power, economy and a 5 year warranty. Mind the ride is better with the Buc on the back-and you hardly notice it's there! The speed limiter is VERY useful! Am a total truck convert-never thought I'd say that!

Oct 12, 2016
Visit site
Regarding stopping the shopping sliding about I bought a non slip mat for the load liner and always carry a couple of folding crates in the back to do the click and collect shopping. If I had any woodworking skills I’d make up a sliding drawer arrangement the Americans seem to make for their pickups (YouTube it).
I use 8 of these crates for clothes, food and booze and 4 ‘Really Useful Boxes’ 35litres for water hookup, one for electrics, one for pegs and mallets and one for other bits and bobs, silicone sprays, storm pegs and straps, knee pads etc. . In the Navara I had a piece of plywood cut to fit in the C channel in the back as a broad shelf. I used to stack the awnings and groundsheets on that. It engaged on both sides of the load bed and along the front edge. Piece of 50mm square on top of the ‘floating’ edge kept it rigid and running a clamp up against the shelf each side stopped it walking backwards. I covered it in black carpet and added a couple of D rings to hook some small ratchet straps over the top of the awning bags to hold them in place.
once you’re on site and all set up all the crates fold down and stack into two and I use another one to put all the awning and furniture bags and the towels we lay on the floor of the van when travelling to keep them tidy.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2020
Visit site
we have used our 06 isuzu rodeo to pull our oldish van it is a little bit choppy as there is little weight on the rear wheels but some thing to be aware of is that the V5 states vehicle category is N1 which is commercial and has lower speed limits on some roads

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
The gov website states that a dual purpose vehicle eg truck with 4 seats is the same limits on all roads as cars;
Type Of VehicleBuilt-Up Areas (mph)Single Carriageways (mph)Dual Carriageways (mph)Motorways (mph)
Cars, motorcycles, car-derived vans and dual-purpose vehicles
We made sure we checked before purchase-our Navara therefore is 70 on motorways 60 towing, 60 on National spped limit rds or 50 towing just like any car. It does cost 60p over our local toll bridge though and not 40 like a car. Can live with that.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
The gov website states that a dual purpose vehicle eg truck with 4 seats is the same limits on all roads as cars;
Type Of VehicleBuilt-Up Areas (mph)Single Carriageways (mph)Dual Carriageways (mph)Motorways (mph)
Cars, motorcycles, car-derived vans and dual-purpose vehicles
We made sure we checked before purchase-our Navara therefore is 70 on motorways 60 towing, 60 on National spped limit rds or 50 towing just like any car. It does cost 60p over our local toll bridge though and not 40 like a car. Can live with that.

Is there a difference, in this respect, between standard pickups and double cab ones ?

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
When we went seasonal a dealer towed it with a (L200) our Elddis Crusader super sirocco caravan L Shaped Twin Axle caravan to our service pitch on site The dealer said do want reverse the outfit in so i had some practice laps i thought it was great .

Feb 20, 2020
Visit site
So much information but some of the things that keep coming up from different sources are ;two rows of seats , four wheel drive and max unladen weight of kg 2040
see the link in the dual purpose section of the above gov.uk site which does also say about car derived speed limits and also larger vans having lower limits

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts