towing with a rover 400

Jul 12, 2005
Visit site
i have been towing my eldis crown 2000 475 with a 1.8 mondeo but it is getting old and shabby. I also have a Rover 400 2 litre GSI saloon. There is no towing info in the handbook and i was wondering if anyone had any experience of towing with this model.

Mar 30, 2005
Visit site
Hi Mark,

Depends on the weight of the Elddis. My brother in law had a Rover 400 GSI 2ltr and found that it was restricted to a max tow weight of 1000kgs. Hope this helps.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi, we tow with a Rover 45 2.0td 05 model. It's brilliant tows like a dream but as in the above post we are restricted to 1000kg. Its a perfect towcar in every other way though, we did have a 1.4 model earlier in the year and this was ok considering its small engine, pleased we have the 2.0 now though !! Don't be put off by the negative press on Rovers as tow cars. We have no choice as to our car as it is a company car and when we first bought our caravan all we read was negative reports on rovers as towing vehicles. The only downside is its max weight. However we have been pleasantly surprised. It is very economical too.

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
MARK, as long as your van is within the weight limit of your car wich if i remember right has the same max tow weight as my old 200 at 1000 kgs then you will have no problems. the 2 ltr engine is plenty powerfull enough although the power is quite high in the rev range. It is a case once again of us brits listening to that curly haired no brain on tv and believing the drivel he comes out with that has given rover the bad name, i have towed with a 200 1.6 gsi also a 25 diesel turbo and a 75 tourer diesel all the cars where faultless esspecially the 75 which was superb. enjoy your car and van.

Jul 20, 2005
Visit site
MARK, as long as your van is within the weight limit of your car wich if i remember right has the same max tow weight as my old 200 at 1000 kgs then you will have no problems. the 2 ltr engine is plenty powerfull enough although the power is quite high in the rev range. It is a case once again of us brits listening to that curly haired no brain on tv and believing the drivel he comes out with that has given rover the bad name, i have towed with a 200 1.6 gsi also a 25 diesel turbo and a 75 tourer diesel all the cars where faultless esspecially the 75 which was superb. enjoy your car and van.
I have a Rover 45 and want to buy a caravan, but it seems that all Rovers, big & small, have a towing limit of 1000kgs. Surely that can't be right. How can a Rover 25/200 have the same towing limit as a Rover 75? Are Rover just being over cautios or does anyone know of a valid reason?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts