Towing with an Automatic?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I don't have a have a Disco but tow with my BMW 530 diesel automatic, so I can only comment on automatics vs manual. I have never had any problems with the auto box in over 250,000 miles between three BMW's and it takes a lot of effort out of towing, particularly in traffic, allowing the driver to concentrate on negotiating tight spaces, etc., with the van on the back. Like the Disco, my BMW has a transmission oil cooler, which is essential for towing. It also has manual override of the gear selection from 1st through 5th (I'm sure the Disco will have this) which is really useful when descending long hills and when driving across boggy fields. "Sports" mode holds all gears in for a bit longer and significantly improves acceleration. Transmission lock-up automatically locks the gearbox in a direct-drive mode when cruising. This improves fuel consumption. Again, it's quite possible the Disco has both these features which I think make the automatic option very viable for towing I would certainly never return to a manual gearbox.

Jan 3, 2007
Visit site
Carole....Sorry cannot answer your specific query regarding the disco but I fully support everything Willy said.

I towed with manual gearbox cars for years (mainly company cars and autos were not an option). When I gave up work I bought a BMW X5 Diesel Auto, absolutely excellent, would never go back to a manual box now. Modern automatics, with a manual override, sports switching and hill descent control are so far removed from the auto boxes of the eighties and even the nineties.

Mal

May 12, 2006
Visit site
Hi Carole,

We tow with a Toyota Automatic. As pointed out earlier it makes life so much easier when you are in traffic, or city centres.

Val & Frank

Feb 18, 2006
Visit site
hi carole, we had a 2002 auto disco we drove from calais to salou in spain with a twin axle senator on the back and it was great ,never had any problems at all we cruised along the auto routes at 60 mph and it never missed a beat got about 24-27 to the gallon which we were plesently suprised at,have a look on one of the landrover forums there are some good reads on them .(www.landrovernet.com) we have since changed our vehicle to a ford galaxy and what a mistake that has been ,but thats another story, hope this helps ,all the best sharon.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Carole....Sorry cannot answer your specific query regarding the disco but I fully support everything Willy said.

I towed with manual gearbox cars for years (mainly company cars and autos were not an option). When I gave up work I bought a BMW X5 Diesel Auto, absolutely excellent, would never go back to a manual box now. Modern automatics, with a manual override, sports switching and hill descent control are so far removed from the auto boxes of the eighties and even the nineties.

Mal
Hi BeemerMal - You might like to know of my recent experience with my 530d, as I suspect you have the same engine. Mice got into the air cleaner and then were sucked into the turbo. This was wrecked and had to be replaced. I then had no power at low revs. This turned out to be the mass air flow meter, which is located between the air cleaner and turbo. I suspect Mr Mouse had done for this too. When this was replaced everything was back to normal - exhilarating accelration at any speed, loads of torque, etc. I'm back to being a Beemer fan again! You might also be interested in my reply to the headlights dilema - see other posting. All the best Willy.

Aug 31, 2007
Visit site
I have a 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Auotomatic and have to say its fantastic. I have towed with many cars over the years and none of them come close the Disco. I tow an Avendale Argente 650/6 T/A and it has no problems at all. I have not worked out the MPG but the computer puts it at 22 MPG.

As everyone else has commented it does make towing much more relaxed having the Auto box. I would not change back to a Manual now.

Mark

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts