TOWING WITH HITCH LOCK ON

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
This is not allowed in Germany and not recommended in other countries. It should also be forbidden here as it makes the task of the emergency services all that much harder in event of an accident that blocks the carriageway. Why would you want to drive with the lock on, it takes only seconds to fit whenever a short stop is made.

May 12, 2005
Visit site
lolly,

I have the alco hitchlock and they say I can tow with it on.

I seem to remember some one here saying you shouldn`t in case your van tips over,and emergency services can`t disconnect the van.I dont know if this is is the case, but if you dont want to tow with it on, they don`t take much putting on/off when you have a rest stop.have a good holiday .

Tony A.

Dec 1, 2005
Visit site
thanks guys,

your advice will be acted on, being a newbie we weren't sure if it was allowed or a good idea, that's why I thought I would ask!

we will put it on if we stop at service stations etc.

Thanks ever so much, you are all life savers!!

Lolly x

Dec 1, 2005
Visit site
This is not allowed in Germany and not recommended in other countries. It should also be forbidden here as it makes the task of the emergency services all that much harder in event of an accident that blocks the carriageway. Why would you want to drive with the lock on, it takes only seconds to fit whenever a short stop is made.
we were told to put it on while we were driving, that's why I asked!

Lolly x

May 21, 2008
Visit site
I tow with a lock on my hitch, mainly because of a story I heard a few years ago.

Two guys plied the M5 during the summer. They would tour the service area's looking for speed boats not locked to cars. Promptly un-hook the trailer, slap on their self adhesive number plate and then rip off down the motorway to Exeter where they had a guy who would buy them "no questions asked".

So, who's to say that would not happen to caravans either.

So long as the lock allows full movement of the hitch I don't belive it is wrong to use. The emergencey services can easily cope with any lock with a claw or a disc cutter, both of which are standard kit.

Steve.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I always tow without the lock on, as advised by the emergency services.

What I cannot understand is why does anyone towing a caravan leave it completely unattended at motorway services?

There is no need to, you have your own food making facilities, with much cleaner food and facilities than the services, at a quarter of the cost.

Hello, all,

Regarding Towing with the Alko Hitch lock attatched. Alko do state that this is possible however as a member of the Fire Service for 26 Years I would recommend that this type of lock is only used whilst Parked. It is a simple job just to fit it when a stop is required and remove again before setting off. I have replied to this before (see Eddie 11-10-2005). For the benefit of new members I will repeat my previous Comments, if the need should ever arise to immediately disconnect Car from 'Van, the Lock could either delay or make this impossible. In the event of an accident preventing the Driver, and usually the Key holder from doing this the next most likley person is either the Passenger, most likely to be in shock and concerned more about the well being of the Driver. Another Motorist or the Police. Neither would have the resources, this could prevent moving or delay recovery of the unit. The comment about Fire appliances carrying cutters is not quite correct. Whilst most Brigades equip First attending pumping Appliances with Rapid Intervention Kit, usually to assist with Forcing Entry into Buildings or the Rescue of Trapped people,this is useless against a Thatcham Sold Secure Anti Theft Device. The real Rescue Kit, Angle Grinders Hydraulic Cutters and the like, is Carried on a purpose made Rescue Tender, which if the Call was recieved as a "Fire" would not attend. If a small Fire was to develop say, inside the Caravan the simple act of disconnecting it from the Towing Vehicle might be all that's required to save the Car! The time taken to unlock, (in a Panic, possibly in the dark))would probably be long enough for the Fire to develop out of control leaving the Driver no choice but to retreat to safety. I don't want these comments to cause alarm but s--t does happen and I don't see any advantage at all in Towing with the caravan Locked to the Towing Vehicle.

Regards Eddie 1 from Nottingham

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
totally agree with you eddie, i just can not see any reason why anybody would want to lock the van to the towing vehicle whilst the driver is present. I can only see serious concequencies in the event of an accident and having seen on many occasions how fast a car can burn not being able to remove the van quickly does not bear thinking about.

it is in my opinion that people are miss reading the instruction on the alko and other locks when the instruction states that the lock can be used whilst attatched to the vehicle, i am sure that these instructions apply only when the vehicle is stationary and not when it is in use. maybee the manufacturers could post on this site stating what they are implying with this instruction. unfortunately my alko instructions have long been thrown out so i can not read exactely what it says but im sure it just said "can be used to lock the caravan to the towing vehicle" or something along them lines.

Mar 4, 2006
Visit site
Hello, all,

Regarding Towing with the Alko Hitch lock attatched. Alko do state that this is possible however as a member of the Fire Service for 26 Years I would recommend that this type of lock is only used whilst Parked. It is a simple job just to fit it when a stop is required and remove again before setting off. I have replied to this before (see Eddie 11-10-2005). For the benefit of new members I will repeat my previous Comments, if the need should ever arise to immediately disconnect Car from 'Van, the Lock could either delay or make this impossible. In the event of an accident preventing the Driver, and usually the Key holder from doing this the next most likley person is either the Passenger, most likely to be in shock and concerned more about the well being of the Driver. Another Motorist or the Police. Neither would have the resources, this could prevent moving or delay recovery of the unit. The comment about Fire appliances carrying cutters is not quite correct. Whilst most Brigades equip First attending pumping Appliances with Rapid Intervention Kit, usually to assist with Forcing Entry into Buildings or the Rescue of Trapped people,this is useless against a Thatcham Sold Secure Anti Theft Device. The real Rescue Kit, Angle Grinders Hydraulic Cutters and the like, is Carried on a purpose made Rescue Tender, which if the Call was recieved as a "Fire" would not attend. If a small Fire was to develop say, inside the Caravan the simple act of disconnecting it from the Towing Vehicle might be all that's required to save the Car! The time taken to unlock, (in a Panic, possibly in the dark))would probably be long enough for the Fire to develop out of control leaving the Driver no choice but to retreat to safety. I don't want these comments to cause alarm but s--t does happen and I don't see any advantage at all in Towing with the caravan Locked to the Towing Vehicle.

Regards Eddie 1 from Nottingham
Thanks Eddie 1, your comments about caravans catching fire are very true. I saw one on the M40, near Beakonsfield, a few years ago. All that remained of the caravan was the chassis and wheel rims, fortunately the car had been able to unhitch and pull away, if not I doubt that the car would have been salvageable, let alone driveable. (Fuel tank at the rear - 6 foot from a inferno - doesn't bear thinking about). I travel without the hitchlock attached.

If the car was damaged due to being locked to a caravan on fire, what would the Insurance Co. reaction be?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Alko hitchlocks do state in the instruction guide that the van can be towed with the lock in place. My opinion is that this practice is very foolish as, apart from the fire as referrenced above there is also the possibility of the van turning over and taking the car with it. I have experienced as a witness, whereby the van turned over as a result of a violent snake but broke off the tow ball thereby leaving the car on all 4 wheels. I know which option I would choose every time.

The lock is very simple to fit when stopped and again as previously stated why leave the van unattended in the services? We use the toilet facilities in the services but eat in the van. We take it in turns to visit the loo so there is always someone at the van.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Just to add another point to this topic, can anyone give the exact number of caravans which have been stolen from cars, by either removal directly from the towball, because a hitchlock was not fitted, or the number stolen by undoing the ball bolts and removing towing ball plus caravan, because the hitchlock was fitted?

The only qualifying aspect is,,the car MUST have been travelling at the legal motorway speed AT THE TIME OF THEFT?

If, as I suspect, the answer is none, then the travelling with hitchlock attached is simply laziness for when you stop, and is still highly stupid.

Dec 1, 2005
Visit site
Thank you all for your comments.

It would seem that the person who told me to drive with the hitch lock on should read these answers.

And Damian, we are not lazy, just checking on what we were told to do - we all have to learn.

Lolly x

Jun 29, 2004
Visit site
As a port script. In France and on a motorway I passed a crash were the van was burned flat to the road, the rear of the car was quite badly burned and the fire dept were still cutting the top of the car off to get the driver out while the wife and kids watched on. The Driver was still alive. The fire department seem to have disconected the car and caravan and put out the fire before rescueing the driver. I have never contemplated towing, Locked on, from that day as I have always been of the opinion that seperating the two enabled the fire on the car to be put out. Not conclusive evidence but has always been good enough for me.

ttfn.

Norfolk Mike

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts