Towing with Twin Axle

Jun 24, 2005
Visit site
Just sold our single axle and ordered a twin. There doesn't seem to have been any recent postings regarding differences in towing procedures so can fellow "forumites" tell me if there are any differences? Should I be aware of any potential problems?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Paul,
The jury is out about whether TA's are inherently more stable than SA's, Some swear they are but other swear they'r not.

But there is no doubt that trying to manhandle a TA into position is definitely much harder than an SA. You will need to be either good at reversing etc, or its advisable to fit a caravan mover. Some people can struggle to level the caravan.

Nose weight is also more critical than with a SA. The suspension systems on the two axles interact with each other and significantly affect the nose weight as the height of the hitch above the ground changes. So it is more imperative than ever to set the nose weight at the same ride height of the hitch when its coupled to the car.

If the nose weight is too light then you will feel the caravan trying to pick up the car as you go over bumps.

Servicing costs may be higher (four wheels not two), Twice as many replacement tyres to buy, And some ferry operators may charge more.

Some TA owners claim they have been refused entry onto some sites. Never happened to me though.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
All your points above are valid, but not sure on the noseweight issue. Our noseweight can be between 80 and 100kg and it makes very little difference, however we do try and keep it to around 95kg.
One issue to consider is that if the towing vehicle is loaded at the rear the hitch will be lower anyway so sort of makes a mockery of noseweight as physics dictate that the lower the hitch on the towing vehicle the "lower" the noseweight on the caravan will be at the connection point.
Not sure how to get around this one?

Jan 2, 2010
Visit site
Surfer said:
One issue to consider is that if the towing vehicle is loaded at the rear the hitch will be lower anyway so sort of makes a mockery of noseweight as physics dictate that the lower the hitch on the towing vehicle the "lower" the noseweight on the caravan will be at the connection point.
Self leveling suspension in my case, Never had any noseweight nor leveling problems nor been refused entry, wouldnt be without my TA love it.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Surfer said:
All your points above are valid, but not sure on the noseweight issue. Our noseweight can be between 80 and 100kg and it makes very little difference, however we do try and keep it to around 95kg.
The relation of hitch height to its imposed load only holds 100% true for single axle caravans. In twin axle units the imposed nose load can change dramitcally over small height difference, but depending on how the caravan is loaded under a range of circumstances the hitch load can actually stat to lift rather than sink. Its all to do with where the CofG sits inrelation to the two axle lines, and the interaction of the suspension on each axle.
On a TA if you let your hitch drop and it refuses to fall to the ground, at the height it stops it exerts no hitch load either up or down. Insome TA's I have seen the distance the hitch falls from its towed height can be as little as 75mm. That was 75Kg to 0Kg. That is a significant change over a relativly small distance, which is why I maintain it is so important to measuere nose weight correctly.

certanty of your statement only holds true foro single axle units

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Thanks John,
I have had this arguement on several occasions amongst the boating fraternity "who incedentally" never seem to bother about noseweight, if a t/a trailer is loaded correctly you should be able to wind up the jockey wheel so it sits on it's axels, at this point the noseweight would be zero, if attached to the towing vehicle, that is the same height

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
PaulT said:
Just sold our single axle and ordered a twin. There doesn't seem to have been any recent postings regarding differences in towing procedures so can fellow "forumites" tell me if there are any differences? Should I be aware of any potential problems?
You might have a long overhang at the rear of the caravan so you need to be aware when negotiating tight turns into and out of site entrances.

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
We changed our single axle to twin axle last year and have not looked back since. I cannot understand some of the comments people make about manouvering, but that could be down to tow car capabilities, and some are valid.
Main Negatives.
1. bigger overhang and therefore more care is needed in tight spaces/turns.
2. potentially a lot heavier and therefore need bigger vehicles = more costs.
3. in the main longer and therefore need bigger pitches on site and in storage location.
Positives, hundereds, but here are the main ones we found!
More space, more comfort, better stability and brakeing, easier to man handle and move around, easier to park up and much much easier to reverse, so much control we can access and keep on our narrow drive for short terms. (was a real effort with our single axle bailey) More space (did i say that). Much better for long term camping. Easier to tow over long distances ( regular 650 mile round trips)
So all the positives far outweigh the negatives, but thats our personal opinion and down to individual viewpoints. Its like having your cake and eating eat ( but it costs more!)
Also never been refused access to a site but you do have to plan your trips, check with access to sites (google maps) and think more about every journey. But then again I am sure every sensible caravanner tends to do this before they set out so nothing new there!
Enjoy

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Prof John L said:
Surfer said:
The relation of hitch height to its imposed load only holds 100% true for single axle caravans. In twin axle units the imposed nose load can change dramitcally over small height difference, but depending on how the caravan is loaded under a range of circumstances the hitch load can actually stat to lift rather than sink. Its all to do with where the CofG sits inrelation to the two axle lines, and the interaction of the suspension on each axle.
On a TA if you let your hitch drop and it refuses to fall to the ground, at the height it stops it exerts no hitch load either up or down. Insome TA's I have seen the distance the hitch falls from its towed height can be as little as 75mm. That was 75Kg to 0Kg. That is a significant change over a relativly small distance, which is why I maintain it is so important to measuere nose weight correctly.

certanty of your statement only holds true foro single axle units

Up to last week most of our trips have been fairly local and of short duration. I always check the noseweight. On taking it into storage about two weeks ago nose weight was about 95kg. Last week we loaded up the Jeep with my mobility scooter between the two axles and then clothes etc for a week away.
On hooking up, I measured the noseweight and it was down to 75kg. We moved a few things forward and struggled to get it over 80kg without moving the awning etc right to the front. It then struck me that the cause was probably the fact that the hitch was nwo a lot lower than previous occasions. We use a Reich Towball Load Control.
We had no issues towing there and back again and any bouncing indicating a heavy or light noeeweight was absent.

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
We have towed twinaxles for a good few years with no major setbackshe manover that requires the most concentration is turning into narrow entrances making sure that you have pull far enough forward before starting to turn. The ony time we have been refused entry on to a site with the twin axle is in France where there are bylaws prohibiting twin axles especially on municipal sites where some wardens keep stricktly to the law.

Dec 12, 2007
Visit site
I have had two twin axles now and I love them they are more stable and when reversing they turn more slowly than a single axle, as to ferrys chargeing more, I havent found that I do however when pre booking any site ask if there are any problems on the approach roads or on access to the pitch and size of pitch. You dont say PaulT how you got on with yours OK I hope
Paul
smiley-wink.gif

TRENDING THREADS