Toyota Aygo as a runaround??

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Decided to change the wife's car and she likes the look of the Toyota Aygo.
She only travels about 5 miles a day to work and back and needs something reliable,economical and easy to park.
I've read that the 3 cylinder engine can be a little noisy,but wondered if anyone here has one.
Would appreciate any advice.👍

Reactions: JezzerB
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
To avoid doing short journeys in my big diesel SUV, I have a 2011 Citroen C1 which is a rebadged Toyota Aygo - the 3-cylinder engine is characterful but not noisy in itself, the noise comes from the single small silencer at the back, reminiscent of an MGB - mine is a base version with absolutely no sound-proofing but I imagine that sound-proofing the rear wheel well would improve things considerably. Get a test drive and make your own minds up.

In other respects, it's a great little car and even fun to drive, cheap/easy to service and very practical for short journeys.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
A while back wife looked at Aygo but decided it was too small and too low down as I would have difficulty getting in and out.

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Thank you.
Didn't think of the Citroën C1.Will have to suggest it to her.

She drives a "13" reg.Jazz at the moment(which I love and will be my car when the Santa fe goes),but for some reason,she has difficulty parking it.🙈

Were off on Wednesday to go and browse so hopefully, she will find the right one for herself.🤔

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thank you.
Didn't think of the Citroën C1.Will have to suggest it to her.

She drives a "13" reg.Jazz at the moment(which I love and will be my car when the Santa fe goes),but for some reason,she has difficulty parking it.🙈

Were off on Wednesday to go and browse so hopefully, she will find the right one for herself.🤔
There’s a Peugeot version too. All made in the same factory.

Oct 22, 2019
Visit site
Go for a citroen c1 with a 1.2 engine. Anything registered upto 31/3/17 will be free RFL - as ours was reg'd on that date. The 1.2 engine is surprisingly nippy - we have it behind our moho.

Mar 14, 2005
jondogoescaravanning.com
she likes the look of the Toyota Aygo.
Get her to look at the Citroen C1 - it's the same car. Or even the Pug 107, although there aren't quite so many about. All three versions are produced in the same Czech factory. The facelift dates are 2009 and 2014. Used car prices change after the facelift dates. I indulge myself by running two cars. I've always used big diesel Citroens as a tow car but for many years my late wife and I shared a Citroen Saxo which we bought new in 1998. That car I gave to my grandson, and two years ago, bought a 2011 Citroen C1. It's a great little car; happy to keep up at motorway speeds, and at the same time, it's extremely economical. Tax and insurance are fairly modest and the car is very easy to maintain. Since I've had mine I've replaced the front pads and discs and also replaced the drop arms - both jobs I was able to do myself. There's also a diesel version powered by a 1.4HDI engine, however, unless you intend to do long journeys, it's best to avoid the diesel. They don't like stop/start driving.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I was given an early C1 as a courtesy car not long after they came out. It was like a skate board going exactly where you pointed it. And it was surprisingly nippy to such an extent that I found myself exceeding 30 mph on some more rumbustious sections of road.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Go for a citroen c1 with a 1.2 engine. Anything registered upto 31/3/17 will be free RFL - as ours was reg'd on that date. The 1.2 engine is surprisingly nippy - we have it behind our moho.
The 1.2 is a PSA engine, not as reliable as the 1.0 Toyota engine (actually a Daihatsu engine)

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
I would guess that the majority of C1/107 are 2 door, so some other things to consider - the boot 'hatch' is the rear window and access to the small boot is not that easy after you exit Morrisons! The 2014 facelift changed several attributes as it is a larger car. Our c1 is one of the last pre-facelift (2 door) models and has proved about 56mpg and reliable and free RFL as noted. It does have the raspy exhaust note while accelerating! Seems there are a lot of low mileage models out there too.

Reactions: GeorgeandAde
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I would guess that the majority of C1/107 are 2 door, so some other things to consider - the boot 'hatch' is the rear window and access to the small boot is not that easy after you exit Morrisons! The 2014 facelift changed several attributes as it is a larger car. Our c1 is one of the last pre-facelift (2 door) models and has proved about 56mpg and reliable and free RFL as noted. It does have the raspy exhaust note while accelerating! Seems there are a lot of low mileage models out there too.
It's quite easy to load shopping through the glass tailgate - with the rear seat up the boot space is small so we leave ours folded down.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
My granddaughter is saving for a small car, C1/KA size etc or something similar and reliability is one of the key requirements. Tye C1 features as 9 th in the Warranty Direct Reliability Index, with no claims for engine faults. The I20 and I10 are above the Citroen in the Reliabilty Index. By and large the little cars seem remarkably reliable with cheap running costs and repairs ( if required).

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
What worries me is the 3 mile journey. That is not enough time for teh engine to warm through properly, and that is not good for the engine or the catalytic converters or the rest of the exhaust.

This is a classic case where an electric car would be a great alternative, plus incredibly low running costs.

There are some older secondhand EV's such as early Nissan Leaf's which may have lost quite a lot of their original range, or even a MB 250e which was not popular because of a poor range from new but these are now very affordable and would make great short commute vehicles

Reactions: Tobes
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
What worries me is the 3 mile journey. That is not enough time for teh engine to warm through properly, and that is not good for the engine or the catalytic converters or the rest of the exhaust.

This is a classic case where an electric car would be a great alternative, plus incredibly low running costs.

There are some older secondhand EV's such as early Nissan Leaf's which may have lost quite a lot of their original range, or even a MB 250e which was not popular because of a poor range from new but these are now very affordable and would make great short commute vehicles
The C1/107/Aygo warm up incredibly quickly as their coolant and oil contents are very low and the catalytic converter is directly on the exhaust manifold so heats up quickly.

At equivalent ages, a C1/107/Aygo is a fraction of the price of a Nissan Leaf leaving several £1,000s to cover potential repair costs.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The C1/107/Aygo warm up incredibly quickly as their coolant and oil contents are very low and the catalytic converter is directly on the exhaust manifold so heats up quickly.

At equivalent ages, a C1/107/Aygo is a fraction of the price of a Nissan Leaf leaving several £1,000s to cover potential repair costs.
But that is part of the attraction of EV's their inherent reliability and lower overall running costs. Yes, they may cost more to purchase, but the extra cost is offset by their lower fuel bills, lower service cost, inherent reliability, better resale values, greener credentials, and now as more people are finding especially in town and city pleasant driving experience.

EV's are certainly a serious alternative these days.

Another small one to consider is the Smart ev.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
But that is part of the attraction of EV's their inherent reliability and lower overall running costs. Yes, they may cost more to purchase, but the extra cost is offset by their lower fuel bills, lower service cost, inherent reliability, better resale values, greener credentials, and now as more people are finding especially in town and city pleasant driving experience.

EV's are certainly a serious alternative these days.

Another small one to consider is the Smart ev.
Very few car buyers can afford to ignore the economics of car ownership.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
There is a company in the UK that also does conversions and one of the conversions was a VW Beetle. Think they are in Wales?

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts