Transporting bikes on a VW Phaeton

Apr 23, 2007
Visit site
I'm off to Cornwall next week (friday 13th) and I need to transport 4 bicycles along with the caravan, full boot, awning, barbie, etc, etc.

My own bike is a lightweight one so I can take front wheel off and seat off and transport inside the caravan, but the others are standard £100 bikes that are therefore NOT lightweight. I'm weighing up my options. A roof bar system from VW will cost £225 then I've got to buy the actual carriers that attach to the bars although I've got one somewhere in the loft. They will probably cost another £100.

Or, I could buy a rear 2 or 3 cycle carrier to go on the boot and squeeze the lightest bike into the van also. I do transport the awning in the boot though. I'm worried if these can damage the car though or get in the way of the caravan when turning. If the cycles came into contact with the caravan then they would move and would probably damage the car.

Anybody got any thoughts or recommendations?

Regards

Ian

Apr 23, 2007
Visit site
Too tight for that.

Think I'm going to buy an Edinburgh Revoultion Shuttle as reviewed in Practical Caravan November 2009. But will it damage the paintwork of the car?

Apr 11, 2006
Visit site
I'd be worried having the rear mouted bike rack with the caravan, I think If I had to choose one I'd opt for the roof mounted one

Nov 4, 2004
Visit site
Go for the roof mounted option,seen people on site having to unload the bikes first on a boot mounted carrier before they can do anything else,not much fun when raining etc.

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Hi,

I also tow with a phaeton - Will be interested in what solution you find.

My phaeton has no obvious roof rack mounting points !

Regards

Andy

Apr 23, 2007
Visit site
GAH. Andy, I've just ordered a rear mount one.

Have a closer look Andy there are four tiny sliders on the roof for placing the feet. I decided not to go down that route. Its bloody hard work loading and unloading from the roof.

Going on 'holiday' starts to become a real chore when you want to take everything.

Ian

Dec 23, 2006
Visit site
Get a non VW set of roof bars and 3 bike carriers for it.I had the same problem 8 weeks ago.I wanted to bring bikes to France on top of a Skoda Superp.VAG wanted too much for the genuine bars and bike racks and I got MONT BLANC ones for a third of the price.There are no obvious mounta on the Skoda either but the instructions were very clear from Mont Blanc and the VW and Skoda are very similar in size.
Hope this Helps
John

Dec 23, 2006
Visit site
They fix to the roof panel inside the door when the door is opened.
John
If you give me an email address I can send you the pics that Mont Blanc sent me to help me fit the bars
John

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts