Travel Insurance excludes Covid 19

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
I read that travel insurers are likely to exclude Covid 19 from cover even when restrictions are lifted. And that this may run for at least 2 years. The consequences of this is that after 31 December 2020 when U.K. Brexit transition ends the EH1C cover will no longer be valid the overseas travel insurance may not include cover for travellers. This would have a significant bearing on people’s plans for travel both in the EU or elsewhere.
Doesn't affect me - never used travel insurance in my life ! - don't intend to.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Doesn't affect me - never used travel insurance in my life ! - don't intend to.
I guess in Europe the EH1C has been very useful for medical cover in the EU. Whether the arrangement will continue after 31 December is anyone’s guess. I’ve been on holidays where comprehensive travel insurance was a condition of booking and attendance. The policies were checked prior to departure.
Where I have no sympathy is for those who moan and weep on TV that HMG will not help repatriate an ill person, cover the medical fees, travel costs etc or bring a body home through lack of insurance. It’s not a taxpayer responsibility.

Sep 26, 2018
Visit site
You have to imagine with no health insurance that you suffer from some disease or condition that leaves you hospitalised for weeks or months, without the ability to get yourself and family repatriated, and being isolated in that country while you recover...

May 7, 2012
Visit site
What you can now get is cover for the virus when you are abroad, but not for having to cancel because of it. Unless you are able to find lots of cash very quickly cover is essential simply because the cost of repatriation can run into thousands of pounds particularly if you have to use an air ambulance. Even worse the cost of bringing a dead body back is extremely high.

I know the chances of either are low but the point is that the policy is there just for that remote possibility and nobody knows before they go if they could be that unlucky one.
Premiums are likely to be higher, but so is the risk being covered, and so you need to accept this and check if you are prepared, or possibly able to pay the premium before you book.

Reactions: Beachball
Jun 12, 2021
Visit site
I recently got covid-19 and the insurance company paid me everything. I hope this virus will go away soon and there won't be any problems with the insurance company. I've been traveling for quite a long time, and the insurance company has never left me, they've helped me in any difficult situations. The biggest problem for a traveler is finding good transportation. I prefer to save money and take the train, as it would cost me twice as much by car. I recently took a train from a German company, and I really enjoyed it. I was able to look up db auskunft information right away and find the right flight. The trains follow epidemiological norms, everyone wears masks, so the risk of catching coronavirus is minimal.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I recently fell ill with covid-19 and the insurance company paid me everything. I hope this virus will soon be over and there will be no problems with the insurance company.
That’s good as it seems that policies have evolved as insurers gained more information about what it entailed.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts