travelling through france

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Sylvia

Thats the way we used to go some years ago and would suggest somewhere near Beaune as a half way point from Calais. Like many others we tend now to go via Rouen and the A75 as part of the route is toll free. The Lyon route is quite expensive in terms of tolls and a very busy route south of Macon.

David

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
The route planning http://www.autoroutes.fr/ suggests 7 hours and 35 minutes from Calais, to Lyon, via Reims (with a caravan), but that's without stops, and driving at the maximum speed limits. It's always adviseable to add extra time to this, it's surprising how much time it takes for the odd 'comfort' stops!

The total tolls from Calais to Perpignan on the Reims/Lyon route, with a caravan are a massive 144.20 euros EACH WAY (94 euros without the caravan) and the length of the journey is 1212 kilometres.

If you go the alternative and shorter way, suggested by David, via Rouen and Clermont Ferrand then the tolls reduce to 70 euros each way. The journey length is reduced slightly to 1143 kilometres.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Sylvia said:- thankyou david did it take long to get there can you remeber the campsite you stayed at overnight.I estimated lyon being around 6 hrs

Sylvia

I assume you are towing? If so you need to allow more than six hours. You are pretty lucky to achieve and average of 50mph even in France when you factor in rest stops.

As I said Beaune is a good half way stop using the Lyon route and there is a good municipal there but it is very popular. Not far away Camping La Grappe d'Or at Meutsault is another good stop as is Camping Chateau de L'Eperviere. If you go via Rouen we find its a 2 stop over journey and the municipal at Nevers is conventient and the the next night near Clermont Ferrand, Camping Le Clos Auroy at Orcet and Chateau Camping la Grange Fort at Les Pradeaux are two sites we have used in that area.

David

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts