Truma ultraheat not working on gas

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If it were air in the gas pipe, the heater would not light at all. The fact it has lit shows that any air that might have got in to the supply pipe when the gas bottle was changed has now been purged out.

There should be no safety issue unless someone has been tampering or has damaged the appliance or flue. These appliances are designed to operate with Butane or Propane and whilst there are some small differences in the combustion process of the two gases this should not give rise to the symptoms you have described.

The symptoms suggest to me the flame is being baffled until it has taken the chill off the heat exchanger and flue. There can be a number of things that can give rise to this.

FIrstly, some caravans can suffer when the wind blows at some speeds in some directions. If this is the case the problem may disappear when the wind conditions change. you could move the caravan, even just a couple of meters can make the difference if there are buildings or big trees nearby. There might be some obstruction in the flue. It would be worth inspecting the roof cowl for dead leaves or spider webs etc The plastic top hat unscrews as these sometimes need replacing if they get damaged .

You do not tell us how old your caravan is, but gas appliances are not usually serviced as part of a normal service by a dealer. If the problem persists you should seek professional advice should and arrange to get the heater checked.

If teh caravan is covered by a guarantee, discuss the issue with the dealer.

All work on gas systems must conform to the the gas codes of practice Unless you are gas competent do not dismantle any part of the gas supply or flue pipes of the heater for your safety always refer such work to a component registered person.

Nov 14, 2020
Visit site
Thanks for the help, it was rather windy yesterday I'll light it again today to see what happens if it happens again I will seek professional help from my local dealer.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the help, I had it running up full today for an hour no problems with it, it must have been the wind it was very windy in largs.
Glad it’s working okay. I know how windy it can get in Largs so that could have affected your heater. Just keep an eye on how it performs from now on. Good luck.

Aug 24, 2020
Visit site
Health and Safety professional here...

In general H&S Law the definition of a competent person is quite woolly, being "A person with the necessary skills and experience to complete the task".

However, many other bits of law have their own definition of competence for specific tasks, such as requiring specific certification to work on LPG systems, which go beyond the basic requirements for a Gas Safe engineer, or specific qualifications for mains electricity (and specific exceptions to when they're needed!). So unfortunately there's no simple answer to the question, because the definition of competence depends on which system you're looking to work on.

Nov 22, 2020
Visit site
I think the people I bought it off have labelled the panel incorrectly that's were ive been going wrong top left is for electric heating with thermostat is that correct?

Attachments

• 20201027_081114.jpg
    20201027_081114.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 13
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I think the people I bought it off have labelled the panel incorrectly that's were ive been going wrong top left is for electric heating with thermostat is that correct?
Yes top left is electric heating. Standard range of settings 500, 1000 and 2000 watts. Hope it works. There should be a switch that contrails fan speed on top of the heater unit. I normally use manual setting and adjust to suit. Also around the caravan there will be butterfly vents. These are adjusted to balance air flow from the van to try and ensure an even heating environment.

There are two electric mains heating. I suspect top right is for the room heating. Middle right could be electric to the water heater. Try it. My water heater is just an on off switch. But don’t put any heat onto the water heater without ensuring that it is full.

Nov 22, 2020
Visit site
Yes top left is electric heating. Standard range of settings 500, 1000 and 2000 watts. Hope it works. There should be a switch that contrails fan speed on top of the heater unit. I normally use manual setting and adjust to suit. Also around the caravan there will be butterfly vents. These are adjusted to balance air flow from the van to try and ensure an even heating environment.

There are two electric mains heating. I suspect top right is for the room heating. Middle right could be electric to the water heater. Try it. My water heater is just an on off switch. But don’t put any heat onto the water heater without ensuring that it is full.
Thank you so much very helpful ☺

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts