Tuscany anyone?

Jul 11, 2006
Visit site
Management tells me we are going to Tuscany at the end of May, probably Sienna area. Anyone got any advice on the best route, i.e. E France/Lyon/tunnel/Milan and down, or south coast and then along the coast, or Belgium, Germany, Austria, Italy?

Bailey Pageant Majestic towed by Octavia 1.9TDi 130 if it has any bearing.

TIA

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Andrew

I don't think I would use the route to the South of France and then along the coast. Not only is a longer route but it is also very busy in parts. The last time we went to Italy we went down through Germany and into Austria via the Fern and Brenner Passes, but we were heading for Venice. Next year we are thinking about Lake Maggiore so will think of a route through Switzerland as that is more direct. When we last stayed in Siena we stayed at a campsite on the northern edge of the town called Camping Colleverde with lovely views over the City and a bus stop outside the gate.

David

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi

just for an outline plan, I have done a quick route using Autoroute below. I think you can go to the Michelin website and calculate including tolls.

Time Mile Instruction For Towards

Summary: 841.3 miles (1 day, 4 hours, 15 minutes)

DAY 1

09:00 0.0 Depart Calais on Local road(s) (South) 32 yds

09:00 0.1 Turn RIGHT (West) onto Rue Paul Bert 21 yds

09:01 0.1 At roundabout, take the THIRD exit 131 yds

09:01 0.1 Exit roundabout onto Boulevard Jacquard 0.4 mi

09:03 0.5 Turn RIGHT (West) onto Boulevard L

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Andrew

We love Italy and especially Tuscany. Sienna is prefered to Florence and you must visit San Gimignano.........Famous for its towers and its ICE CREAMS.........Oh and do try 'Pane Forte' a local sweet.....

When we have been to Tuscany we have booked and stayed at the Norcenni Girasole site about 15 miles south of Florence just of the motorway.

Last year we had a week in the French Alps first and then travelled through the Frejus tunnel and on to Turin, Pisa and then Tuscany. The tunnel is about

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi. We've been twice recently to Tuscany. First time North Shields ferry to Holland and down through Germany and Switzerland with two overnights on route - one somewhere in germany not got a clue where it was, second Como International site; second time Hull to Zeebrugge through Belgium, Luxembourg, France and then Switzerland again. Firt night stop in municipal Obernai, nice site, second again in Como - never again. Comimg home we stayed one night at a farm site in Switzerland and then three nights in Chalosn en Champagne. I'm getting excited already thinking about next year!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi. We've been twice recently to Tuscany. First time North Shields ferry to Holland and down through Germany and Switzerland with two overnights on route - one somewhere in germany not got a clue where it was, second Como International site; second time Hull to Zeebrugge through Belgium, Luxembourg, France and then Switzerland again. Firt night stop in municipal Obernai, nice site, second again in Como - never again. Comimg home we stayed one night at a farm site in Switzerland and then three nights in Chalosn en Champagne. I'm getting excited already thinking about next year!
excuse my spelling I'm having a Christmas drink...or two!

G

Please keep us informed if you do complete your trip as messages regarding Italy are a bit thin on the ground. It was my objective for 2007 and the ferries were all booked and paid for. However, fate intervened and it looks I am being dragged out of retirement to go and help the European energy crisis for a year, so everything is postponed to 2008.

So, any info you can pass on will be of assistance to me for the next next year.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi

just for an outline plan, I have done a quick route using Autoroute below. I think you can go to the Michelin website and calculate including tolls.

Time Mile Instruction For Towards

Summary: 841.3 miles (1 day, 4 hours, 15 minutes)

DAY 1

09:00 0.0 Depart Calais on Local road(s) (South) 32 yds

09:00 0.1 Turn RIGHT (West) onto Rue Paul Bert 21 yds

09:01 0.1 At roundabout, take the THIRD exit 131 yds

09:01 0.1 Exit roundabout onto Boulevard Jacquard 0.4 mi

09:03 0.5 Turn RIGHT (West) onto Boulevard L

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Andrew

We love Italy and especially Tuscany. Sienna is prefered to Florence and you must visit San Gimignano.........Famous for its towers and its ICE CREAMS.........Oh and do try 'Pane Forte' a local sweet.....

When we have been to Tuscany we have booked and stayed at the Norcenni Girasole site about 15 miles south of Florence just of the motorway.

Last year we had a week in the French Alps first and then travelled through the Frejus tunnel and on to Turin, Pisa and then Tuscany. The tunnel is about

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi. I would seriously consider David Klynes advice and travel through Belgium, Germany Austria (Vignette Rqd.) Brenner Pass (fist toll road) travel down the autostrada Soleil down to a small town call Figline Valdarno in Tuscany. This route takes you through Moselle Valley, a little of the Rhine Valley over to Bavaria down to Austria and when travelling the Brenner Pass the Dolomites. if you have plenty of time you can stop a while at many places. No tunnels involved. There is a excellent campsite near to Figlini Valdarno called "Norcenni" you must on your visit go to Greve, San Gigimano as well as Florence and Sienna.

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
We have been to Tuscany 3 years running and are off there again in mid April. We go same route as Shiraz. Stop the night at Kranebitten site outside of Innsbruck then in morning to Gada over the Brenner then we go onto site La Chiocciola (Caponnole-Bucine) Close to visit Florence by train. This site is in Chianti country and nice rides to Sienna, Arezzo,San Gimignano,and Pienza. Mentioned in CC Europe and ACSI site at www.eurocampings.co.uk Out of main season 14 euros night with ACSI card available on their website as above.

TRENDING THREADS