TV/Avtex/internet/ etc

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Thank you everyone for your comprehensive replies, I think based on them currently I will be going with a non 12v TV, I would like to take the advice of using a fire stick also, however, that brings me to more questions.

I have briefly looked and find there are quite a few fire sticks from quite a few suppliers with different price structures, I presume I would be needing a 4K? Alexa or non-Alexa?

Is there a requirement to subscribe to anything else in order to enjoy the benefits?

May I also ask where you obtained yours from, I ask as I see there are the usual offerings from Ebay!

I also noted a newspaper article from a year ago stating that Amazon had clamped down on the use of customizing apps on the firestick. Whilst I realise this is a year old, grateful if anyone can throw any light on the current situation and if it impacts upon your own private usage.

I am still sifting through the Sat Nav info...

Pete

Firestick is an Amazon trade name. But there are alternatives. I bought a 4k firestick under one of Amazon's special offer days. I got it to make my old Avtex into a smart tv and it worked a treat. I agree, the 4k was wasted on a small TV but it was on special offer. After selling the caravan and the Avtex, I was going to sell the firestick as the home TV’s are all smart. But I have kept it and a granddaughter has doctored it so I can get live F1.

So a fire stick is a great way to improve an older TV. You do not need an Amazon account, but you will need to pay for apps like Prime, or Netflix. But iPlayer, ITV hub, more 4 and 5, etc are all available.

You will need to create a hot spot on your phone and link it to the fire stick.

John

Reactions: Pamplona
Aug 5, 2022
Visit site
Thank you everyone for your comprehensive replies, I think based on them currently I will be going with a non 12v TV, I would like to take the advice of using a fire stick also, however, that brings me to more questions.

I have briefly looked and find there are quite a few fire sticks from quite a few suppliers with different price structures, I presume I would be needing a 4K? Alexa or non-Alexa?

Is there a requirement to subscribe to anything else in order to enjoy the benefits?

May I also ask where you obtained yours from, I ask as I see there are the usual offerings from Ebay!

I also noted a newspaper article from a year ago stating that Amazon had clamped down on the use of customizing apps on the firestick. Whilst I realise this is a year old, grateful if anyone can throw any light on the current situation and if it impacts upon your own private usage.

I am still sifting through the Sat Nav info...

Pete
I use a 240V TV and run it off battery as well as mains via an inverter, so they can work fine off grid that way. Only issue is battery capacity , you would probably want solar as we have to make this work practically,

Steve

Sep 21, 2022
Visit site
I use a 240V TV and run it off battery as well as mains via an inverter, so they can work fine off grid that way. Only issue is battery capacity , you would probably want solar as we have to make this work practically,

Steve

That's interesting Steve, I am a Noobie, I do have a solar panel, but no experience with inverters, perhaps you could tell me which type of inverter you run.

Pete

Mar 3, 2022
Visit site
We have a 24" Cello TV/DVD which runs on 12 volt. When on hook-up (rarely) it plugs into the mains via a transformer.
If you decide to go for a mains only TV via an inverter don't forget that the inverter will also be drawing power from the battery in order to do its thing.

Aug 5, 2022
Visit site
I’m running it from a quite expensive Victron 1.6kW inverter that provides power to multiple sockets in the van. It’s designed for powering a system assuming it is professionally installed with proper connection of the protective conductor. Cost over £600 I think. Victron kit is designed for boats and mobile use both, it’s top quality if costly. Look at Victron if considering installing a van wide system. That said you could run just a TV from a much cheaper inverter sourced on eBay etc. It just needs to cover the max power needed which would be 300W max for most TVs, often less. So, just needs a small and cheap one. Doesn’t need to be fancy as the TV power supply will work from any likely waveform square or sine. The key issue is feeding it enough 12V DC amps, 120W needs over 10A at 12V etc etc. So would need a chunky DC cable back to battery. Or a longer 240V lead to TV. Do not try to power multiple circuits from a cheapo inverter, single appliances MUST be plugged into it individually. Search “500W inverter” to find some cheap options.

Steve

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
That's interesting Steve, I am a Noobie, I do have a solar panel, but no experience with inverters, perhaps you could tell me which type of inverter you run.

Pete

You would only require an inverter if going off grid i.e. no EHU. Richer Sounds offer a 6 warranty of all their TVs and have good support.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I’m running it from a quite expensive Victron 1.6kW inverter that provides power to multiple sockets in the van. It’s designed for powering a system assuming it is professionally installed with proper connection of the protective conductor. Cost over £600 I think. Victron kit is designed for boats and mobile use both, it’s top quality if costly. Look at Victron if considering installing a van wide system. That said you could run just a TV from a much cheaper inverter sourced on eBay etc. It just needs to cover the max power needed which would be 300W max for most TVs, often less. So, just needs a small and cheap one. Doesn’t need to be fancy as the TV power supply will work from any likely waveform square or sine. The key issue is feeding it enough 12V DC amps, 120W needs over 10A at 12V etc etc. So would need a chunky DC cable back to battery. Or a longer 240V lead to TV. Do not try to power multiple circuits from a cheapo inverter, single appliances MUST be plugged into it individually,

Steve

The Victron is top of the range and worth paying the price. However of rmost caravans I would think that 300-500w is more than adequate. We managed on a Ring 150w. many years ago. Now we have not gone off grid for several years, but it is in the top drawer.

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
I have been running domestic TV's off a cheap none sine wave inverter for many years with no issues whatsoever, so I don't feel it's necessary to over invest in expensive inverters.

In addition I would caution against opting for a 4k Firestick or similar for the simple reason 4k chews through internet data at a terrifying rate compared to standard or even HD.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
In addition I would caution against opting for a 4k Firestick or similar for the simple reason 4k chews through internet data at a terrifying rate compared to standard or even HD.

I ran a 4k Firestick without issue, I think this is due partly to dirt-cheap data plans. But my TV was not capable of UHD and I think this is recognised by the stick which matches its signal accordingly.

I now use the same stick on a 65 UHD TV at home. The new Wild Isle is incredible.

John

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
I didn't say it couldn't be used, just that 4k streaming eats data very quickly. If you have a limited amount of data (as you probably would whilst streaming in a caravan) that's a serious issue!

SD uses about 0.7Gb per hour.
HD uses about Three Gb per hour and
4K uses about Nine Gb per hour.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I didn't say it couldn't be used, just that 4k streaming eats data very quickly. If you have a limited amount of data (as you probably would whilst streaming in a caravan) that's a serious issue!

SD uses about 0.7Gb per hour.
HD uses about Three Gb per hour and
4K uses about Nine Gb per hour.

But only if 4k is utilised. Was my point. I purchased my 4k partly as it was on offer, but also to be future-proof.

John

Jun 1, 2021
Visit site
I run a cello 22" traveller tv with built in disc player, satelite receiver, freeview receiver it is 12v/240 compatable and came with the relevent 12v connection and the 240 domestic connection, to turn it into a smart tv for streaming i also use the amazon firestick, when i get round to setting it up on satelite i will just need to plug a dish into the back of the tv and hopefully point it in the right direction to get satelite tv. I hope to have an external connection point added to my van for the satelite cable later this year

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts