TV company seeks motorhome & caravan drivers!

Feb 26, 2015
Visit site
Hi folks

My name is Lucie and I am working on a documentary for ITV about Britain's oldest drivers.

We'd love to hear from anyone who might be in their late 80s or 90s and still driving a caravan or motorhome!

Is this you OR do you know someone who might fit the bill?

Please contact me on lucie.richards@rdftelevision.com or call me on 0207 013 4186

I'd love to hear from you! :lol:

Feb 21, 2015
Visit site
chrisbee1 said:
This sounds like a programme that will give the caravan knockers plenty of ammunition. :angry:

Why? - last year we met a couple at Haxey Quays, touring with a large Swift van - he was 86, and his wife was of a similar vintage, and both were remarkably spry.

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
sosij said:
chrisbee1 said:
This sounds like a programme that will give the caravan knockers plenty of ammunition. :angry:

Why? - last year we met a couple at Haxey Quays, touring with a large Swift van - he was 86, and his wife was of a similar vintage, and both were remarkably spry.

Lots are and they're very capable. However, my opinion is that these sort of programmes tend to try and show the type of driver that will have viewers saying "they shouldn't be on the road"

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
I totally agree with chrisbee1 , when has any tv programme shown a balanced , truthful and honest view of caravanning or driving or the elderly . They slant it their way to create a so called interesting and opinionated outlook , huh .
Today I'm a grumpy git.

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
I couldn't agree more.
I'm one of the younger caravanners I think.

Infact the closest person I know age wise that has a caravan is 10 years older than me.
I'm currently 31 and have had a caravan for the last year or so.

I get lots of comments from customers and friends taking the mick about me holding others up etc (usual stereotypes, as I also get with my job as a male hairdresser)

But i took a friend to Le Mans, France, for the 24hr race last year and took the caravan for some comfort too. He seems to be converted!

BUT

as said above all caravanners are treated with the same stereotype.

Matt

Feb 21, 2015
Visit site
Theteaboy said:
I couldn't agree more.
I'm one of the younger caravanners I think.

Infact the closest person I know age wise that has a caravan is 10 years older than me.
I'm currently 31 and have had a caravan for the last year or so.

I get lots of comments from customers and friends taking the mick about me holding others up etc (usual stereotypes, as I also get with my job as a male hairdresser)

But i took a friend to Le Mans, France, for the 24hr race last year and took the caravan for some comfort too. He seems to be converted!

BUT

as said above all caravanners are treated with the same stereotype.

Matt

But I love stereotypes, and hairdressers, and Suzuki Grand Vitaras.... :lol:

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
lucierichards said:
Hi folks

My name is Lucie and I am working on a documentary for ITV about Britain's oldest drivers.

We'd love to hear from anyone who might be in their late 80s or 90s and still driving a caravan or motorhome!

Is this you OR do you know someone who might fit the bill?

Please contact me on lucie.richards@rdftelevision.com or call me on 0207 013 4186

I'd love to hear from you! :lol:

And your Mission Statement is????
I suspect to "bully" the elderly who have done you no harm..
I hope NONE of our senior tuggers join in your program until
you tell us what exactly you are seeking to achieve.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Boycot the lot I say !! Just someone else trying to mock us . I'm 34 and love caravaning , hate putting it back into storage !! Our first time trying to put up our large awning up at the Peak Distict last Easter could of ended in divorce but the couple on the next plot stepped in and helped us for over a half hour and they were probably in their 8o's , nowt wrong with the oldies .

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
chrisbee1 said:
After viewing some of the Clarksonesque stereotypical caravan knocking tv programmes on tv I can understand why one or two forumites would be cautious about having anything to do with any proposed tv programme about older caravanners.

Before Lucie added this post to the forum she contacted me via email to offer a brief outline of what the proposed tv programme will be, and she was good enough to provide a link to a similar programme that she was involved in about motorists who were between 90 and 103 years old.
EDIT: While I was posting this Sprocket provided a link to the programme.

Having watched the programme made by the same company (RDF Television) which featured 100 year old drivers from start to finish, I can honestly say that the makers of the programme were generally supportive and positive about the more mature among us.

The stereotypes about elderly drivers were explored, as seen in the opening sequence and with a few talking heads voicing the same sort of comments usually aired about older motorists, but the programme in my opinion dealt sympathetically in a positive and affectionate manner with the elderly, often disabled, drivers who appeared on film, some over 100 years old. The programme makers certainly didn't mock or bully any of the elderly drivers featured.
I'm nowt but a lad of 63 myself, :cheer: but if I knew of any older people who continue to enjoy our hobby well into their retirement I'd have no hesitation whatsoever in suggesting that they have a talk with the programme makers, because from what I've seen the overall impression of caravanners and of older people would be positive.

Feb 21, 2015
Visit site
Sproket said:
A selection of the TV Shows that they make

Say's enough when you read this... :eek:hmy:

A story about driving but also about old age, love and loss, this documentary doesn’t pass judgement. Rather, we leave it to the viewers to decide whether all or none of the drivers should still be on the road.. :(

Watch this .... and then make your mind up.

Around here it's not uncommon to see the older driver - generally pulling themselves well forward in their seats, peering at the unfathomable mysteries that lie a a few yards in front of their bonnet,, :lol:

OTOH, we also have our share of unlicensed, untaxed, un-MOT'd youths who race about - recently mowing down and killing a pedestrian who happened to be walking on their race track...

I know who I fear most.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
chrisbee1 said:
I admire your optimism Steve. :whistle:

Dustydog said:
Parks
you will appreciate our scepticism especially after the Ray Mears affair

I fully understand the scepticism because those who know very little about our hobby do tend to stigmatise caravanners unjustly. I have always had a positive outlook on life but if I thought, after watching the programme about 100 year old drivers all the way through (and it's a good programme and worth watching) that RDF were seeking victims to denigrate, bully or to make fools of there woud have been no chance of Lucie's request appearing on this forum.
I've been a moderator on this forum for seven years this very week and hopefully I've learned to spot the cyber snake oil salesmen and the scammers who have tried to catch us all out from time to time.
I am fairly sure that Lucie Richards has honourable intentions toward us but her telephone number appears in her request if anyone is considering getting in touch with her but is quite naturally sceptical.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Well Parksy my Boy

If you are happy Lucie is genuine then it gets my support.
However as I am still in short trousers and SWMBO should be in short skirts :kiss: I guess Lucie wont want to hear from us. :(

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
Dustydog said:
Well Parksy my Boy

If you are happy Lucie is genuine then it gets my support.
However as I am still in short trousers and SWMBO should be in short skirts :kiss: I guess Lucie wont want to hear from us. :(

Likewise. :p

Sep 19, 2007
Visit site
I'm in the right age group but would definitely not volunteer for two reasons.
A few years ago there was a major water pipe burst in the road outside our house. Our neighbour, who is one of the producers in the TV newsroom, asked if I would mind being interviewed, which I agreed to. Never again! in the local supermarket and in the shopping centre I was continually being stopped by complete strangers saying “didn't I see you on TV?” I now know what celebrities have to put up with!
The second reason is that I can see what will happen in this program. They will show a caravan travelling along a single carriageway road at the maximum permitted speed with a trail of cars behind, all supposedly held up by the caravan. I wouldn't be surprised if they hired a fleet of cars specially for the scene.
I don't suppose for one minute that they will show a car on the motorway cutting in front of a van at the last minute to access a slip road, or, a car pulling out of a side road right in front of the car/caravan unit where you can almost hear car driver saying “ I will get in front of this van if its the last thing I do”
I might be classed as a dragon, but sorry “I'm out”
Incidently, I passed my car driving test in 1957 and have been towing a van on and off since 1960 without an accident that was my fault.
I feel much better after that rant.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Gabsgrandad said:
And in my 70's but still a young 'un in my own mind, and by their qualifications too!

In that case I'm still wearing me Nappies, real toweling ones by the way not those bleedin disposable things :silly:

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Craigyoung said:
Urgh the thought ! To much information !!! :lol:

200.gif

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Gafferbill said:
........I don't know what a caravan driver is!
Is it someone who herds caravans?

Have you never sat in the front of your van using the mover :lol:

Well spotted though B)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts