Twin axle vs single

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
My grandad is thinking of upgrading.
he has a landrover discivery, thinking of buying a unicorn Barcelona or valencia.
he just doesn't know what to do?
he needs to know advantages of both but also disadvantages?

thanks

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I would have thought it's more a case of whether he values the extra lounge area and slightly larger kitchen of the Barcelona compared with that of the Valencia. The price differential of just over £2000 may come into play, too. Once that decision is made, the question of whether a single or a twin is a done deal. With a LR Discovery as a towcar, the 180kg or so extra weight is not going to a be a make-or-break factor affecting the choice. I'd never make a decision based on the number of axles.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
The twin axle will be more difficult to manouvre by hand but a mover would fix that. The basic advantage of the twin axle is better road manners and stability, the down side is the weight and drag of the second axle will affect fuel consumption. If you can afford the twin axle and have the tow car they are probably a better bet for most people, but we all have different priorities.

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
It's a known fact that a twin axle is more stable on the road when compared to towing a single axle caravan. Naturally the tow car will also be a significant factor. Reversing - such as manouvering onto a pitch - is also easier with the extra length of a twin axle coupled to the tow car when compared to a single axle coupled to a tow car. It may however be possible to manouvre a single axle by hand which is almost certainly not the case with a twin axle and the resistance of the extra pair of tyres. It could be worth considering the fitting of a motor mover to a twin axle (Or indeed a single axle) caravan as it just makes life so much easier and less stressful !

We've owned both single and twin axle caravans and would certainly recommend the twin axle caravan option, not only for the reasons stated above but also for the extra space a twin axle offers. Layouts and make are a matter of personal preference.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I prefer the TA to the SA. Personal choice. That said our SAs were all good tows. It's how load them.
TA imo have two downsides.
a full awning weighs a ton and his very hard work to erect. We mostly use the porch awning.
a motor mover is mandatory.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Chris T said:
It's a known fact that a twin axle is more stable on the road when compared to towing a single axle caravan.

Hello Chris, That's a brave statement! I'm not sure you can prove its a fact. I have towed many different types of caravan and trailer and I can report TA's do seem well behaved, I have also towed many SA's with no trouble either. Perhaps I've been lucky or its down to the general preparations I take when hitching and loading. Ironically I did have one large TA box trailer, which whilst it was stable, it had a poor towing characteristic of trying to alternately pushing down then lifting the tow ball, which was due to a insufficient nose weight. Once corrected it was fine. I'm not sure its possible to say that TA's are better than SA's, what we can say is there are differences, but in my view its six of one and half a dozen of the other.

Oct 28, 2006
Visit site
Maybe stable is not the right word,maybe it is.But TA are far less prone to snaking.That can quite easily be proven with even being coupled to the towing vehicle.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
seth said:
Maybe stable is not the right word,maybe it is.But TA are far less prone to snaking.That can quite easily be proven with even being coupled to the towing vehicle.
Caravans that are less prone to snaking are usually bigger, heavier ones, regardless of whether single or twin, so one has got to be fair and compare apples with apples.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Given the size of the Uk wouldnt it be a good idea to suggest an area of interest, although I did use a good one a couple of years ago....near Inverness though.

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
We have had a twin axle Elddis Crusader Storm for 6 years and love it. It is very stable not difficult to site with the car but do have a Truma Motor Mover fitted. Does not appear to use more fuel due to the extra axle. We travel in Europe for 2/3. Months and the extra size is excellent. We have an extra large Porch awning (which is as large as some full awnings ). Which gives us adequate room. Onto this we have a canopy that adds onto the front or can be used fixed alone to the awning rail. Photo on here www.joysofeuropeancaravanning.co.uk

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts