Type of dog allowed on site

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
When I met the person, who is now my wife, she had a Doberman. 'oh', I thought 'nasty dogs'. The perception. That changed drastically over time.

One of the games that he and I used to play was me sitting on the sofa, lifting my legs up and 'fighting him' with my legs with nothing on my feet. He won by catching one of my feet in his mouth and just gently holding it. He was as gentle as they come.

On losing him there was no question as to what breed of dog to get.

So along came Lace, a four year old rescue dog - Doberman of course via Dobermans in Need (DIN).

Slight apprehension as to what exactly she would be like. Well, she is a big softie. We think that where she lived had children and other dogs. When we are travelling in the car - always looking out - cries whenever we pass kids and / or dogs.

She also cries when we are walking her when she sees other dogs and / or kids. And, in contact with them is very gentle.

On one occasion a small dog came japing and jumping up and down in front of her. It was only when we were walking away we noticed that her nose was bleeding. The small dog had bitten her and she had done nothing about it!

It is also interesting when walking our dog with friends who have a Doberman with a massive had. People cross the road to the other side. But, like Lace, he is also a big softie.

So beware of perceptions.

Oh well, that will be my last post for quite sometime. Have not used the forum for some time and just looked in on this forum to see if things had changed but see that Clive is still spoiling it and no thank you, I can do without reading his constant load of (the difference between an uncastrated and a castrated male dog)

Jul 4, 2005
Visit site
I am just adding my own "personal opinion" on the subject of dogs.

I have always been very nervous of all dogs, regardless of breed and size. Unfortunatley its a trait that has passed on to my 2 children who are only 4 and 6.

I agree there are responsible owners who clean up after there dogs but there are as many who do not. I cannot tell you how many times the kids have come back with poo all over there shoes.

I also feel that it is completely unfair and unnaceptable for owners dogs to bark all day and night and disturb other peoples peace and quiet.

I 'personally' rank dogs up there with my other pet hate of smokers!.....Just my opinion!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
And it is a valid as anyone else's.

I do not agree with it and have said so - so no doubt that thought police will find me at fault - again.

Poo picking is a necessary evil of dog ownership.

But then so is nappy changing for children (and I know what is easier!) - so why do some parents - admittedly not many but a significant few, shove their kids dirty nappies in a bush when visiting beauty spots in my local beauty spot the New Forest? If you are in the area after a weekend - have a look around Castle Hill and Ogdens. There is usually a neat little wound up packet of poo in a bush just waiting for a fox to rip it apart and eat the contents. They seem to like it. But they leave the plastic and fibre stuff to cause problems for other animals when they ingest it.

Unreasonable behaviour is not exclusively from dog owners.

And believe me I swear at the b*ggers when I have trod in it

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Can I just add something, not quite in the same category, but relevant as far as dogs and families are concerned.

We have just returned from three weeks holiday, staying at various sites around the northern areas.

On one particular C&CC site in Northumberland, our five night stay crossed over the weekend which meant there were children about.

There happened to be two little girls who were wandering about the site each with a dog on a lead. Fortunately, the dogs were very well behaved and looked rather elderly so it caused no problem. However, the next morning, my husband was outside the awning cooking his bacon for his sandwich. Our dog, Springer Spaniel, had taken up his usual position just inside the awning door, and was looking out. One of the little girls came over, minus the dog, and rushed up to our awning and attempted to pat our dog without asking. Fortunately, my husband was on the ball, and told the child that our dog was "guarding our caravan" and she was not allowed to touch him.

I must admit I panicked for a couple of seconds. Although I have every confidence in our dog, he is not sociable with other people, and certainly not children. Should he have even growled at the child let alone nipped her, we would have been responsible, in the eyes of the parents, and who knows what could have happened!

I wish parents would teach their children that they should not approach strange dogs, and definately not touch dogs without asking the owners permission beforehand.

May 20, 2006
Visit site
Wendy (Norfolk), those are some wise words, I think everyone should take note of your comments.

My dog is a sweet little cutie, kids and adults come from across roads to pet her, she is very sociable and loves attention but saying that, you never know. I have never been asked if she is safe, just because she looks like a little teddy bear people assume she is.

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
We had an incident on a site in wales where our two cavaliers where lying on our pitch accompanied by my mums and my sisters cavaliers as we where all having a barbeque together, we could hear the kids from the pitch behind uswhich was seperated by thick bushes playing a game of tick, next minuite one of the lads came flying through the hedge and ran straight over the top of all four dogs which obviousley startled them all and all jumped up barking and tried to chase the lad, as they where on shortish leads tied in to a ground spike they only got about 6 foot before being stopped. This lad ran away screaming and crying and then brought his dad to complain that our dogs had attacked him, obviousley we tried to explain but to no avail as the dad was far worse for wear on the amber nectar and within 5 minuites had brought the site owner to demand that we where thrown off site. as it happened we where fortunate enough that our neighbours had been watching and although they did not want to get involved they did when they saw what was happening and told the site owner exactely what they had seen, the result was that the childs dad was told to leave the site the next morning after he had sobered up.

Our dogs i am sure will not bite infact i dont think they are capable of biting certainly not hard due to the shape of theire mouth but part of the breed standard is that the cavalier king charles spaniel must be fearless and they will show agression when startelled even if they dont follow it through, the same as any dog in that situation.

Nov 7, 2005
Visit site
what really, really annnoys me is when young kids in groups run towards my dogs - even though they intend no harm - and then wonder why the dogs bark at them and take an apparently agressive defensive stance. how are the dogs supposed to know they are not under attack??

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
There are no bad dogs just bad owners. All dogs of all breeds have the potential to be dangerous. As for Pit Bulls, they are a type not a breed and if they were that easy to identify why does a good friend of mine make an extrodinary living from being the premier expert witness in DDA cases, most of which surround Pit Bull identification.

We take 4 of our 6 whippets away with us at any time, if people come up to us with dogs off the lead they will fly, usually the bitches first, then the 2 males backing them up. Are they dangerous? Not if you don't run past them with a dog off the lead (or are a rabbit, fox, hare, squirrel rat or the like) They all have the Kennel Club Good Citizen Award and give obedience demonstrations at Crufts. But would I trust them? No they are dogs. Would I trust any dog? No.

As far as Bull breeds are concerned, they are usually extremly gregarious with humans, not so good with other dogs, no more or less trustworthy. Nervous dogs are usually the most unpredictable but if you don't go near them you won't get bitten!

Securing dogs can be an inssue. We use cages, we also use corkscrews, but the latter have to be really wound in with a bar, especially if more than one dog is attached. But there again how quick can a dog chew through a lead? Very quick when it wants too.

At the end of the day dogs are like kids, treat them with kindness and firmness and they will blossom into lovley friends, Spoil them and they become tyrants. I chose to have dogs and kids but I don't see why they should affect anyone elses life.

Sep 27, 2006
Visit site
Can I just add something, not quite in the same category, but relevant as far as dogs and families are concerned.

We have just returned from three weeks holiday, staying at various sites around the northern areas.

On one particular C&CC site in Northumberland, our five night stay crossed over the weekend which meant there were children about.

There happened to be two little girls who were wandering about the site each with a dog on a lead. Fortunately, the dogs were very well behaved and looked rather elderly so it caused no problem. However, the next morning, my husband was outside the awning cooking his bacon for his sandwich. Our dog, Springer Spaniel, had taken up his usual position just inside the awning door, and was looking out. One of the little girls came over, minus the dog, and rushed up to our awning and attempted to pat our dog without asking. Fortunately, my husband was on the ball, and told the child that our dog was "guarding our caravan" and she was not allowed to touch him.

I must admit I panicked for a couple of seconds. Although I have every confidence in our dog, he is not sociable with other people, and certainly not children. Should he have even growled at the child let alone nipped her, we would have been responsible, in the eyes of the parents, and who knows what could have happened!

I wish parents would teach their children that they should not approach strange dogs, and definately not touch dogs without asking the owners permission beforehand.
whilst caravanning this summer with our two labradors, i couldnt believe how many kids came running up and screaming in their faces. one little boy thought it was funny to ride his bike round and round them until i had to tell him to go away. i cant beleive some parents not teaching their children to respect other peoples animals. the dogs were quite scared and if they had of bit whose fault is it then?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts