Tyre Cracking

Oct 25, 2006
Visit site
Caravan just been collected from its annual service and attention has been drawn by the dealers service representative to the beginnings of cracking of the side walls of both road wheels of the caraven.
The caravan was new in May 2007 and the tyre coding indicates manufacture in week 16 of 2007 - could not have been more 'factory fresh!'. There is 8.5mm of tread remaining according to the service report and the tyres during this period have covered just under nine thousand miles. They have never been 'bumped' or 'scuffed' and I have always, but always been meticulus and checked the pressures both outward and return journeys. I thought, I had also checked for tyre wall cracking but it seems not thoroughly enough, clearly not expecting such an issue during this period!!
During the winter period the van has each year been lifted on blocks with the tyres covered. When in storeage or on site the tyres are again covered.
To be on the safe side I had been planning to replace the tyres at a five year interval in May 2012 but not wanting to risk a major problem this will now been to be brought forward. I have a quote of just under £150.00 for Continental replacements.
I do feel these existing tyres have not delivered what they should have, afterall some recommendations on the suject suggest a period of seven years before change. These are showing signs of premature failure after precisely four years; this cannot be right. The tyres are Matador SK Maxilla.
Any recommendations or advice for seeking redress from someone, say caravan manufacturer on the basis of poor quality product or should I be approaching Trading Standards for their advice?
Many thanks for any comments, assistance or experiences of similar failings and the outcome.

Bernard in Tring

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Tyres age from the time they are made and it is not simply exposure to sunlight, it is exposure to atmosphere, which cannot be avoided.
There is no case to answer as far as redress is concerned, it is not an inherent fault of the tyre, it is wear and tear.

The recommendation of seven years for replacement is relatively new, it was five years, IF the tyres are in good condition, but sooner if damaged.

Slight sidewall cracking is not a major issue, cracking between the treads IS, as is anything more than "spider" cracks in the sidewalls

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Helolo Bernard,
Damains advice is right,

But on a general sale of goods note, your legfal right to redress for fualty goods is only with your seller. For a caravan(and it's tyres) its very unlikely to be a manuracturer.

If you used a credit card or a finance deal, you fincne house may be the legal seller rather than the dealer.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I had an issue with Matadors once and when I tried to discuss itt with the company was surprised to hear that they would not discuss aspects of caravan use given that caravan tyres are static for so long and often overloaded. i got the distinct impression that they did not want their tyres associated with caravans. After much searching around I alighted ona caravan/trailer specific tyers made by GT Radial it is designed for trailers/vans and has a sidewall warning as such. it is the Kargomax ST6000 which I used as it pushed up my max load from 1420kg to well over 1500kg and considering Baileys OEM tyres were for a caravan rated to 1400kg I felt the extra load capabililty to be a a safety plus. I got them delivered from Pneus-Online taking 2 days from Holland.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I had problems with Matador tyres delaminating. As they were not in the batch that had been recalled as faulty everyone ducked and run for cover, refusing to accept that there could possibly be a fault. Even though the tyres were less than 3 years old and taken off and stored between October to March and numerous reports of similar events with them on other caravans.

Eventually someone in an identical situation gave me this e-mail contact - Paul.Taviner@vosa.gov.uk

He asked me for all of the details and is investigating a number of Matador cases. He may be worth contacting.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts