Tyre shock

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Feb 23, 2018
889
66
10,935
Visit site
otherclive said:
[sub][/sub]
Tourer-Ted said:
I always upgrade my tyres to C (commercial) rated ones. I'm not saying 8 ply tyres will fare any better than regular ones but it gives you a bit more confidence, maybe! :)

Swift were fitting C grade tyres around 2010 onwards but seem to have gone back to budget. C grade won't stop rubber deterioration which is caused by UV exposure, and lack of rotation. The rotation on the road enables the tyers protectant additives to stay distributed.

By the way although some adverts still say 8 ply its not relevant to modern radial tyres its a left over from cross ply days.

The OEM tyres on my 2018 Sprite are Laufenn - a Hankook sub-brand. However, I have no idea what they are classed as.

Edit: Swift pledged to use Hankook tyres back in 2010: https://www.swiftgroup.co.uk/news/swift-group-lead-tyre-safety-campaign
 
Nov 11, 2009
20,858
6,518
50,935
Visit site
CustardAvenger said:
otherclive said:
[sub][/sub]
Tourer-Ted said:
I always upgrade my tyres to C (commercial) rated ones. I'm not saying 8 ply tyres will fare any better than regular ones but it gives you a bit more confidence, maybe! :)

Swift were fitting C grade tyres around 2010 onwards but seem to have gone back to budget. C grade won't stop rubber deterioration which is caused by UV exposure, and lack of rotation. The rotation on the road enables the tyers protectant additives to stay distributed.

By the way although some adverts still say 8 ply its not relevant to modern radial tyres its a left over from cross ply days.

The OEM tyres on my 2018 Sprite are Laufenn - a Hankook sub-brand. However, I have no idea what they are classed as.

Most major tyre makers have sub brands. Bridgestone had Firestone and their Vanhawk tyres were excellent made in Turkey at the Bridgestone factory. Lauffen are an entry level tyre ie budget, made in Indonesia.

https://tirereviewsandmore.com/laufenn-tire-reviews/
 
May 24, 2014
3,687
765
20,935
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
Thingy said:
Been through that very scenario just a few weeks ago. In my case the caravan had been standing though at the dealers. Tyres were just about 4 years old, so it just goes to show that the recommended time span before changing the tyres through age is bunkum.

I think the advice is tyres should be regularly checked for deterioration or damage and should be change between 5 to 7 years anyway. Just going by age is no guarantee of a tyre roadworthiness.

My point exactly. ;)
 
Jun 1, 2019
43
0
1,530
Visit site
otherclive said:
By the way although some adverts still say 8 ply its not relevant to modern radial tyres its a left over from cross ply days.

Nothing to do with "adverts".
C rated 8 ply tyres have 8 plys making up their construction. That's twice as many as the standard car tyre. You can feel it, on a loose tyre, by the much stiffer sidewalls.
 
Nov 11, 2009
20,858
6,518
50,935
Visit site
Tourer-Ted said:
otherclive said:
By the way although some adverts still say 8 ply its not relevant to modern radial tyres its a left over from cross ply days.

Nothing to do with "adverts".
C rated 8 ply tyres have 8 plys making up their construction. That's twice as many as the standard car tyre. You can feel it, on a loose tyre, by the much stiffer sidewalls.

The ply rating is still on tyres because the US buyers haven’t yet caught up with LI. The link below may help you understand the semantics.

https://otrwheel.com/otr-blog/what-does-ply-rating-mean/
https://www.tirebuyer.com/education/tire-ply-rating

https://www.sttc.com/resources/tire-info/ply-rating/
 
Sep 5, 2016
928
119
4,935
Visit site
When I buy a car I look what tyres the manufacturer puts on the car and I stick with them I've been using Continentals for years, same applies to the last caravan I bought , when I looked at the caravan the first thing I looked at was the tyres , Mr Salesman these tyres need replacing and he did just that when I coupled up to the van I mentioned the pads did not look to healthy on the hitch indicator I said give me a set and I'll change them thank you Mr Salesman,
 
Jun 20, 2017
166
0
0
Visit site
So, my issue is now concluded, had a pair of Hankook Vantra LT fitted today, even rung Hankook tech dept and they advised the tyres are perfectly suited (suppose they would say that). Their spec is the same as the Durun but higher load rating.
Anyways, all on, torqued up and will re-torque after a few miles.
Should last till I swap the van next year.
As I am looking for a new twin axle next year I will be closely looking at the tyres even with it being a new van.

Kev
 
Nov 11, 2009
20,858
6,518
50,935
Visit site
Kevin2306 said:
So, my issue is now concluded, had a pair of Hankook Vantra LT fitted today, even rung Hankook tech dept and they advised the tyres are perfectly suited (suppose they would say that). Their spec is the same as the Durun but higher load rating.
Anyways, all on, torqued up and will re-torque after a few miles.
Should last till I swap the van next year.
As I am looking for a new twin axle next year I will be closely looking at the tyres even with it being a new van.

Kev

I’ve fitted them to my van. They were OEM issue too.
 
Sep 29, 2016
1,807
216
19,935
Visit site
otherclive said:
Tourer-Ted said:
otherclive said:
By the way although some adverts still say 8 ply its not relevant to modern radial tyres its a left over from cross ply days.

Nothing to do with "adverts".
C rated 8 ply tyres have 8 plys making up their construction. That's twice as many as the standard car tyre. You can feel it, on a loose tyre, by the much stiffer sidewalls.

The ply rating is still on tyres because the US buyers haven’t yet caught up with LI. The link below may help you understand the semantics.

https://otrwheel.com/otr-blog/what-does-ply-rating-mean/
https://www.tirebuyer.com/education/tire-ply-rating

]https://www.sttc.com/resources/tire-info/ply-rating/
https://www.sttc.com/resources/tire-info/ply-rating/[/quote
Interesting and informative reading in those links OC, thanks for that.
 
Nov 16, 2015
10,773
3,079
40,935
Visit site
I had an experience at work, towing an Helicopter out one morning, The front tyre exploded, on investigation we found another base had changed the tyre with the same size tyre but a ply rating half of the one that should have been fitted. That base had Helicopters with twin front wheels, the same size and pressures,, but on a single tyre, Bang. The Numpty didnt check the full specs.
 
May 24, 2014
3,687
765
20,935
Visit site
I had an experience at work, towing an Helicopter out one morning, The front tyre exploded, on investigation we found another base had changed the tyre with the same size tyre but a ply rating half of the one that should have been fitted. That base had Helicopters with twin front wheels, the same size and pressures,, but on a single tyre, Bang. The Numpty didnt check the full specs.

Dear God, we used to let you hammer chewers fly us around.
 
Nov 16, 2015
10,773
3,079
40,935
Visit site
Thingy said:
I had an experience at work, towing an Helicopter out one morning, The front tyre exploded, on investigation we found another base had changed the tyre with the same size tyre but a ply rating half of the one that should have been fitted. That base had Helicopters with twin front wheels, the same size and pressures,, but on a single tyre, Bang. The Numpty didnt check the full specs.

Dear God, we used to let you hammer chewers fly us around.

See you at the Woosiefest.
AkA, Grunt 92..
 

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts