Tyres with Tyron bands

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The customer has neither the means nor the resources to prove that they work. As a customer I would be very annoyed if I spent good money on a product only to learn later that it doesn’t give me any benefit. I would want to know that before I’ve bought it.
We are going around in circles about nothing. Like many other commodities, how do you know it is not going to give you any benefit?

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I think that one has a right to expect the manufacturer to provide information as to what benefits his product offers before purchasing it. In the case in question this was never done. There is simply no comparative information available.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
If you do a search on this forum there are over 10 pages of discussion on the subject starting way back in 2017 or earlier! All discussions ended with no definite answer as no one knows!

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
If you do a search on this forum there are over 10 pages of discussion on the subject starting way back in 2017 or earlier! All discussions ended with no definite answer as no one knows!

If no-one knows I ask myself why people are buying a product that is of dubious benefit. The only possible logical explanation is that they are being conned.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
If no-one knows I ask myself why people are buying a product that is of dubious benefit. The only possible logical explanation is that they are being conned.
Can you please offer proof or facts that it is dubious? From your post I guess millions of people get conned every day so not difference there! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Without comparative data, nobody knows whether the bands are of any benefit or not. We are relying solely on unsubstantiated claims by the manufacturer. If that isn't dubious, I don't know what is.
The fact that millions are being conned every day shouldn't be an excuse to allow such practice to continue unabated.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
This is like watching paint dry🙀.
In all my 46 years of towing and driving numerous vehicles I have yet to come across any scientific demonstrable evidence these bands achieve anything other than cost and possible balancing issues.
I put them in the same category as electric jockey wheel movers and CASSOA and car
roof mounted aerofoils😎😎

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Lets try and put a new perspective to this matter.

The issue that Tyre Bands seek to address is the chance the tyre bead may disengage from the bead seating position of the wheel rim, and slip into the well of the rim.

Let's first consider what normally stops this from happening, and it's the pressure of the air inside the tyre which exerts thrust against the inside wall pushing the bead outwards. The the bead seat constrains it.

1708963646314.png
I'm sure you have watched a new tyre being fitted to one of your rims, you should have seen the fitter introduce the tyre to the wheel rim, and having used considerable force (produced by a machine) the tyre was eventually within the flanges but slightly loose.

The fitter then introduce compressed air through the valve port which is only used for a few seconds and the tyre expands but still does not quite fully jump the rim humps. A few more seconds of compressed air and by the air pressure alone, or sometimes with some physical encouragement of a sharp knock, the tyre will POP twice as the beads jump the humps and engage in the bead seats of the rim. By this time the pressure is probably up to 10 to 15PSI.

To get an idea of how much force the air has had to exert to get the beads into the seats, you need to calculate the side wall surface area multiplied by the air pressure at the time. Suffice to say for a 16 inch wheel rim with a tyre with a 4" tall side would have a tyre side wall surface area of all the in its in the order of 251 square inches. If the pressure was 10 PSI that gives a thrust load of 2510 Lbs of just about a ton, or more, if the pressure was higher.

The importance of this is it shows how much lateral force is needed to get the bead to jump over the hump during fitting.

Once in place, the bead is not only held by the bead seat but also has the assistance of the air pressure inside the tyre which at working pressure could be 30PSI or roughly 3 times the fitting pressure. This means it would need about 4 times the assembly thrust to cause the bead be dislodged from the seat whilst the tyre is inflated.

If the internal pressure drops, the the lateral force needed to move the bead diminishes but it will never fall below the assembly thrust. So even with a total loss of air pressure containment in a tyre, you would still have to generate a lateral force of about a ton to cause a bead to jump out of its seat.

High angle steering inputs at speed, or mounting a kerb or some other surface discontinuity might generate enough load, but basically if a normal driver becomes aware of a flat tyre, they shouldn't be using high speeds or large turning inputs that might generate these sorts of loads. As there is no need for such large lateral loads the risk of a tyre bead disengaging from the bead seat is very very small and it doesn't warrant the fitting of tyre bands to prevent it.

From my perspective the manufacturers have a product which can be justified for some emergency or military vehicles, but not for ordinary drivers. However, the makers have sought to spread negative rumours that prey on most drivers natural concerns about acquiring a flat tyre whilst driving. Most drivers do not have the scientific or mechanical understanding to rationalise the realities of such events, so the apparent risk is enough for some to fit tyre bands. even though the design of modern wheels and tyres, a tyre band offers no additional safety benefit for normal drivers.

At least, if a driver feels they need to have tyrebands fitted, it's not going to reduce safety, All it does is waste money, reduces payload of the vehicles, and can cause inconvenience when having tyres changed.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Another issue which should receive a mention is that the bands increase both unsprung weight and the moment of inertia of the wheel. They therefore increase loads imparted to the suspension, in particular to shock absorbers, and to the brakes.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts