Tyres

Dec 27, 2014
Visit site
we are new to caravaning (towed the unit 3 times), we have an Abbey Safari 470s 2004' I need to change the tyres as we have just found out they are 10 years old. I understand that the marking on the tyres have to match the new ones but does it matter if you use budget tyres are expensive ones?

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As long as the load rating is adequate for the vans MTPLM then it does not really matter which make you go for.
It would be very unusual to actually wear out a caravan tyre, they normally go past their useful life before wearing out.

Make sure you keep the tyre pressures at the correct level as under inflated tyres are the biggest cause of tyre failure.

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Damian-Moderator said:
As long as the load rating is adequate for the vans MTPLM then it does not really matter which make you go for.
It would be very unusual to actually wear out a caravan tyre, they normally go past their useful life before wearing out.

Make sure you keep the tyre pressures at the correct level as under inflated tyres are the biggest cause of tyre failure.
http://www.crashforensics.com/tirefailures.cfm ,then there is the Michelin site which names the 3 major known problems for tyres.... there are many other sites too... which state over inflation also being a problem ....of course having the tyre set to the correct psi is the best option as is giving people all the facts not just hear say!

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
I have used budget caravan/trailer 8 ply tyres which had no effect on how it handled, but I found I got better service and price from a small independent tyre dealer rather than the larger companies.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
Hi Ratty3................a good way to proceed is to fit commercial light van tyres to your caravan.
Many caravanners take this approach including me.

These tyres are designed to stand up to the weight carrying and heavy driving use they can be subjected to when fitted to working vans.
They are also readily available at most tyre depots and the size you quote for your caravan is a very common size.
Given the tyre markings you quote as currently fitted to your caravan then you would be looking at fitting....195 R 14 C tyres
These tyres can be inflated to 65psi to achieve a load rating of 106 which allows some 1500kgs axle load to be carried.
You would only need to inflate them to 50-55psi to carry 1395kgs.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Gafferbill said:
Hi Ratty3................a good way to proceed is to fit commercial light van tyres to your caravan.

These tyres are designed to stand up to the weight carrying and heavy driving use they can be subjected to when fitted to working vans.
They are also readily available at most tyre depots and the size you quote for your caravan is a very common size.
Given the tyre markings you quote as currently fitted to your caravan then you would be looking at fitting....195 R 14 C tyres
These tyres can be inflated to 65psi to achieve a load rating of 106 which allows some 1500kgs axle load to be carried.

The OP quoted "195 70 R14. 95 N" which I take to mean 195/70 R14 95N which have smaller diameter than 195 R14C which are /80 profile - there may just be enough room in the wheel arch to fit this larger tyre but the whole caravan will ride 20mm higher, the increase in centre of gravity height creating more roll and less stability - although only in small measure.

But your suggestion of stick to van tyres is a good one, 195/70 R14C tyres are available as well as 195 R14C

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Gafferbill said:

hi gafferbill... with regards your last couple of lines.. where did you find that info? whilst i know google searches do repeat that line of thought from individuals and indeed caravan and car forums too,as yet i have not come across the same info being put out by tyre manufactures..ie max psi equals max load index...?
indeed last time i did a search i took 35 pages of google before i came across anything seemingly to do with tyre manufacturers,and what their tyres needed in psi to support max index rating and it certainly didn't support the thought of thinking that leeds to your calculations.. i know it is extremely common on the internet /forums too see the same conclusions as yourself ,and many on here but i have found nothing to support it from the tyre manufacturing industry.maybe i missed it.. but what i did find on several sites/links was the suggestion that max carrying load of a tyre was set at some sort of industry standard set at 36 psi/ 42 psi .dependent on the links i read.... Now surely someone on here must have come across some proper info on this subject? and i dont mean a club or so call expert info gained from a manufacturing source?

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
Simples - a good approximation of tyre pressure is to apportion the max pressure at max tyre load to the load actually being applied. For a single axle van then half MTPLM is carried on each tyre (less half the nose weight for the pedants ;) ). Look on the tyre to see the load index and google to see what weight it equates to. Then the ratio of half MTPLM to the tyre max weight is the ratio you apply to the tyre max pressure. This formula applies to whatever load index the tyre has.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
JonnyG said:
Gafferbill said:

hi gafferbill... with regards your last couple of lines.. where did you find that info? whilst i know google searches do repeat that line of thought from individuals and indeed caravan and car forums too,as yet i have not come across the same info being put out by tyre manufactures..ie max psi equals max load index...?
indeed last time i did a search i took 35 pages of google before i came across anything seemingly to do with tyre manufacturers,and what their tyres needed in psi to support max index rating and it certainly didn't support the thought of thinking that leeds to your calculations.. i know it is extremely common on the internet /forums too see the same conclusions as yourself ,and many on here but i have found nothing to support it from the tyre manufacturing industry.maybe i missed it.. but what i did find on several sites/links was the suggestion that max carrying load of a tyre was set at some sort of industry standard set at 36 psi/ 42 psi .dependent on the links i read.... Now surely someone on here must have come across some proper info on this subject? and i dont mean a club or so call expert info gained from a manufacturing source?

This gives the information you requested http://www.tyresafe.org/tyre-safety/caravan-tyre-safety/load-and-inflation-tables

Load Index 106 will take 950kg/tyre, ie 1900kg/axle

Both the maximum tyre pressure and maximum tyre load will be embossed on the side of the tyre - C rated tyres are often maximum pressure 65psi. 36 or 42 is often the maximum pressure for non-C rated tyres with lower Load Indices.

It's a simple calculation to find what pressure is needed for a lower actual load given the two above figures. Since the tyre contact area needs to remain constant, load and pressure are directly proportional.

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
WoodlandsCamper said:
Simples - a good approximation of tyre pressure is to apportion the max pressure at max tyre load to the load actually being applied. For a single axle van then half MTPLM is carried on each tyre (less half the nose weight for the pedants ;) ). Look on the tyre to see the load index and google to see what weight it equates to. Then the ratio of half MTPLM to the tyre max weight is the ratio you apply to the tyre max pressure. This formula applies to whatever load index the tyre has.
thank you for responding woodlandsCamper, but is that it? assume that max psi is intended for max index load? because i can find nothing to substantiate that type of thinking from a proper source .All i do come across is the type of thought pattern that you have just demonstrated again and again. unfortunately most people seem to accept it as having to be right because its what is repeated over and over and over again...Now it might be correct, but i strongly doubt that,for good reason,, so i kindly ask again does anyone have info from a source close enough to a tyre manufacturer that states that's how their tyres work? and a kwick fit fitter isn't a source... that ,ie max psi quoted is for the tyre to carry its max load index?

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
RogerL said:
JonnyG said:
Gafferbill said:

Load Index http://www.blackcircles.com/general/load-rating

Load Index 106 will take 950kg/tyre, ie 1900kg/axle

Both the maximum tyre pressure and maximum tyre load will be embossed on the side of the tyre - C rated tyres are often maximum pressure 65psi. 36 or 42 is often the maximum pressure for non-C rated tyres with lower Load Indices.

It's a simple calculation to find what pressure is needed for a lower actual load given the two above figures.
hi roger,err where exactly does it quote, MAX tyre pressure equates to max load index..it doesn't, so why does everyone assume it does? all it states is max psi and a load index NOTHING ON THERE STATES THERE IS A LINK BETWEEN THE TWO MAX;S...

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
RogerL said:
The OP quoted "195 70 R14. 95 N" which I take to mean 195/70 R14 95N which have smaller diameter than 195 R14C which are /80 profile - there may just be enough room in the wheel arch to fit this larger tyre but the whole caravan will ride 20mm higher, the increase in centre of gravity height creating more roll and less stability - although only in small measure.

........and I also thought as Damian intimated in his post, that it was highly likely that the OP may have bought the caravan with the wrong tyres fitted so my advice was not to just blindly fit tyres of the same size and specification.

Damian-Moderator said:
Looking at your current tyres (95) they are not good enough with a max load rating of 1380.
You would be better going for 96 rating which will give you a better margin

.......I do not think it is common practice to fit 70 profile tyres to caravans and you can never know what has gone on with anything previously owned!

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
JonnyG said:
hi roger,err where exactly does it quote, MAX tyre pressure equates to max load index..it doesn't, so why does everyone assume it does? all it states is max psi and a load index NOTHING ON THERE STATES THERE IS A LINK BETWEEN THE TWO MAX;S...

Um - doesn't it say it on the tyre wall "Max pressure xxx at max load" and the max load is given by the load index????

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Gafferbill said:
.......I do not think it is common practice to fit 70 profile tyres to caravans.

Plenty of caravans have /70 series tyres - most Baileys did when they changed from 13" to 14" wheels

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
WoodlandsCamper said:
JonnyG said:

Um - doesn't it say it on the tyre wall "Max pressure xxx at max load" and the max load is given by the load index????
NO...

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
RogerL said:
I edited my post with a different link and explanation of constant area.

Hi roger ] i got as far as reading the first paragraph, where it states for caravans its best to have tyres fitted that have a index link so you only have to run at 90% of that tyres max load index to cover the weight of your caravan!!!!!!!!!!!.so didn't bother after that as Bustners including my old one had tyres fitted at 100% max caravan weight 1500kg tyres where load indexed to 750kg each..but then i have read it before including THEIR RECOMMENDATIONS! of PSI .....RECOMMENDATIONS roger nothing that states what i have asked..i am not asking for proof a higher being or anything, just proper scientific/ mathematical,whatever. that states a tyre when constructed is constructed so its max load index equates to the max tyre pressure.. now you'd think that would be easy right!!!

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
JonnyG said:
NO...[/quote]

My car tyres and caravan tyres always have.

A tyre is permitted to run at it's maximum load, how else could it be restricted - the fact that a responsible tyre safety organisation RECOMMENDS only going to 90% for caravans means that you can choose whether to accept the recommendation or go right up to the limit, your choice, because it's only a recommendation.

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
RogerL said:
JonnyG said:
NO...

My car tyres and caravan tyres always have.

A tyre is permitted to run at it's maximum load, how else could it be restricted - the fact that a responsible tyre safety organisation RECOMMENDS only going to 90% for caravans means that you can choose whether to accept the recommendation or go right up to the limit, your choice, because it's only a recommendation.[/quote]

HI roger..
So what you are saying is your tyres clearly state that at the max load index, the tyres should be run at the stated max psi? .. really? as i have never ever seen any make of tyre that had that clearly written on it.. they have the index load written in one place and in another place the have the tyres max psi ....but there is never anything on the tyre that give any clear acknowledgement that they go hand in hand.. and nobody on here or using a google search for what thats worth these days, can anyone seem to come up with a useful link to show there is a collaboration between the 2 things. only peoples assumptions!
As for the tyre recommendation part you mention with regards the 90% sigh exactly who are they? seriously recommendations! anyone can do that with merely a limited knowledge,and have people, in this case you stating the obvious, you can follow it or not, as if its, sound advice because their experts!!! there not . If in my case bustner felt it fine to fit tyres with an index link rating of 750kg to my bustner that had a max weight of 1500kg,and knowing the tough stance germany takes and knowing that bustner knew those tyres were more than fine for the job, to then read some self appointed safety group just throwing out RECOMMENDATIONS,as what? expert opinions based on a knowledge of what? hey if i cannot even find the simple answer of how max psi is linked to the max load index on numerous wondrous sites giving advice, recommendations ect ect .it begs the question, are the blind leading the blind !!!!

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
WoodlandsCamper said:
So have mine, which is why I stated it in the first place.
hey why not take a photo woodlandcamper,and post it hear.. Although as Roger also seems to believe his tyres also are as special as yours, i am starting to doubt if you understand what equates means... All tyres have their Max psi clearly printed on the inner side wall. All tyres have there index load also clearly printed too BUT it does not say anywhere MAX index load at or equates too max tyre PSI ..!!!!! sorry its not a dig, as my original post stated i cannot find anything that states those to max's are linked, other than peopling assuming...surely the tyre manufacturers make this info available to somebody?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts