Tyron bands

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi

Have just decided to fit Tyron bands after reading some hairy stories. Question,if these bands are such a good idea why do we not use them on cars which after all could be travelling at greater speeds and for more of the time

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As with caravans there is no reason why you should not have them fitted to your car as an extra. As Peter suggests it is undoubtedly the costs that dictate that they are not fitted as standard. If you visit the Tyron website you will see that many organisations opt to have them fitted including the police.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Car manufacturers use a much higher "safety" factor than caravan makers who just fit the tyre with the lowest load & speed ratings. Car manufacturers always go much higher. My car tyres are rated at about 150 mph, well above the top speed but my caravan tyres are limited to 81 mph, just the French speed limit, with absolutely no reserve.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I removed mine on advice of a tyre dealer. Suppose you get a puncture in a fairly remote (or maybe not so remote) area, try getting a tyre replaced or repair done if the local tyre depot can't deal with Tyron bands as is often the case.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Tyron bands significantly increase the moment of inertia of the wheel and therefore make bigger demands on the suspension and braking system. It's therefore a trade-off between advantages and disadvantages which is more easily answered in the case of a caravan but much more difficult for cars where driving conditions are much more varied.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
hi trevor we tyron bands fitted after reading the posative reports on this site and got 10%off our insurance as well so if the insurance company's like i rekon they must br good all the best peter h

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Further to my response of the 14th and as hinted by RogerL's reply, fitting Tyron bands to a car could invalidate its warranty. Before going ahead to fit them, it would be very advisable to check with the car manufacturer first and get approval. Because driving conditions are different in the case of caravans, they should be less of a problem.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Car wheels are slightly different to caravan wheels and have "holding beads" just inside the rim which most caravan wheels don't (apart from some of the newer ones). Also, car tyres wear out long before the side walls perish because the mileage is higher and they don't stand all winter and for long periods in the sun on sites. Car tyres have higher ratings than caravan tyres and are-generally-less likely to blow out. Tyron will give you a sticker to fix in your van which gives the main depots of dealers in GB and France etc.I have had a Tyron fitted to the spare as well as the tyres on the van and,providing I look after the tyres and don't do anything silly, I hope that they will be a complete waste of money i.e. I never have to find out how they work!A lot of police forces fit them on their patrol cars which are involved in high speeds.They are expensive-or are they priceless?..........depends on whether they save you from a BIG nasty one day!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have Tyron Bands fitted to both my twin axle Landranger caravan and my Vauxhall Monterey (Isuzu Trooper) 4x4 tow vehicle and the spare wheels on both.

Whilst this involved quite a substantial outlay it is nothing like the outlay and danger of having a highspeed blowout without them. An aquaintance of mine recently lost both their new caravan and car after a van tyre blew out on the motorway - causing the van and car to roll over.

On my previous, single axle, van, with Tyron bans, I had a blowout which only became apparent when it was pointed out to me in a ferry queue in Scotland!! The tyre had obviously been "gone" for a number of miles as it was very badly damaged. The Tyron band had kept the tyre in place.

Tyron bands come with a special key and multilanguage instructions for tyre fitters. I have never had any problems in getting tyres repaired or replaced with Tyron bands on even in a remote area of Scotland!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I removed mine on advice of a tyre dealer. Suppose you get a puncture in a fairly remote (or maybe not so remote) area, try getting a tyre replaced or repair done if the local tyre depot can't deal with Tyron bands as is often the case.
I have asked a tyre depot with no previous exerience of Tyrons to change a tyre. There was considerable moaning and groaning from the fitters, but I wouldn't let them remove the bands just to make it easier, because I want the knowledge that I have done something positive to prevent a caravan write-off in the case of a blow-out.

Could I suggest an element of "this is too difficult for me" on the part of a firm who can't be bothered reading the Tyron instructions which you no doubt carry in the caravan?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Wow there is some interest in this topic !

I had a blow out doing 70 ( small lapse of concentration ) going downhill on a dual carriageway. There was the merest wiggle from the caravan. The Tyron bands were brilliant and when I swopped vans I insisted they were fitted.You should be given the alum key to remove them should you have to go to a tyre dealer that doesn't have one.

The one word of advice that I would give is ALWAYS change your tyres after 4 years. I had asked my dealer to check the tyres and fit new ones and the the bands at the same time. He said the tyres were fine, what I didn't realise is they didn't sell tyres and probably just wanted rid of my van from the service area.The damage caused by the blow out was substantial, and although covered by insurance it still costs in terms of time , inconvenience and unnecessary towing.

The Tyron bands are worth every penny.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
As with caravans there is no reason why you should not have them fitted to your car as an extra. As Peter suggests it is undoubtedly the costs that dictate that they are not fitted as standard. If you visit the Tyron website you will see that many organisations opt to have them fitted including the police.
There's certainly a big difference between the conditions caravan and car tyres are subjected to. For reasons already stated in other responses above, they should not be fitted to cars without approval by the car manufacturer.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Cars fitted with electronic stability systems will automatically detect any instability in cases of sudden deflation of a tyre and the electronics will take appropriate measures to regain control without the need for any action on the part of the driver. In such cases, Tyron bands offer no extra protection and are therefore an unnecessary expense. Best check first whether your car has ESS. The same goes for caravans fitted with electronic stabilisers.

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
Dave, I would come back a year, in my opinion and experience caravan tyres should be changed as a matter of course every three years. I just changed mine again yesterday after that lenghth of time, some slight cracking was apparent in the sidewalls. Too many people under estimate the degree to which rubber perishes given prolonged parking up and uv light. I listened with incredulity recently to a caravanner who boasted that his tyres were 7 years old and still had plenty of tread on them!

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Dave, I would come back a year, in my opinion and experience caravan tyres should be changed as a matter of course every three years. I just changed mine again yesterday after that lenghth of time, some slight cracking was apparent in the sidewalls. Too many people under estimate the degree to which rubber perishes given prolonged parking up and uv light. I listened with incredulity recently to a caravanner who boasted that his tyres were 7 years old and still had plenty of tread on them!
While replacing tyres every 3 years can obviously do no harm (other than the resultant waste disposal not being particularly environmentally friendly), I think that to do so quite as often is unnecessary. Few motorists would consider doing the same for their cars where the conditions to which the tyres are subjected are much more severe. For a car covering average mileage, its tyre tread will last for about 5 to 6 years and this coincides roughly with the ageing performance of tyre rubber. Minor surface cracks on the outer wall are not necessarily a sign of an ageing tyre. It's how well the inside walls of the tyre have survived that's important. They determine how safe the tyre is.

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
While replacing tyres every 3 years can obviously do no harm (other than the resultant waste disposal not being particularly environmentally friendly), I think that to do so quite as often is unnecessary. Few motorists would consider doing the same for their cars where the conditions to which the tyres are subjected are much more severe. For a car covering average mileage, its tyre tread will last for about 5 to 6 years and this coincides roughly with the ageing performance of tyre rubber. Minor surface cracks on the outer wall are not necessarily a sign of an ageing tyre. It's how well the inside walls of the tyre have survived that's important. They determine how safe the tyre is.
Lutz, your reply shows just the attitude to caravan tyres that leads to blow outs. You simply cannot compare the life of a caravan tyre with that of a car tyre. Cars for example have complicated and efficient suspension which takes a lot of pressure off tyres, caravans have simple suspension which means that there is much more pressure exerted on the tyres, also more likely to be subjected to bumps and knocks. Remember each tyre is bearing half the weight of the van. As I said, the pattern of use in a trailer will lead to quicker deterioration. Most at risk after 3 years are tyres inflated to above 50psi (mine are 54psi)where there is obviously much greater strain on the sidewalls, even The Caravan Club recommends close inspection of tyres in this category after 3 years and under no circumstances use them after 5 years (and this can be from date of manufacture!!) Also if you take average car mileage at 10K per annum (probably low) tyres will generally wear out anyway in 2/3 years.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Helo Nigel.

A Tyron Band fits inside the tyre and locksit on the rimand keeps a cushion ofrubberbetweenthe rim and road surface. they are fitted to many emergency vehicles around the world, And can be fitted to any vehicle. for more info got www.tyron.com

hope this will be clear to you

Jim

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Gill

Your question on tyron bands can they be fiited to any vehicle, the answer is yes, they are used by many emergecy vehicles around the world, for more info visit ww.tyron.com

hope this helps

regards

Jim

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
A tyre is a write-off if a blow-out is encountered, regardless of whether Tyron bands are installed or not. Unless fitted with Tyron Extended Runflat System (not to be confused with Tyron Bands) you still need to stop the vehicle as soon as safely possible and change the wheel.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Concerning tyron bands fitted to alloy wheels, I received the following email from Tyron:

I understand the question and can confirm that there is no reaction between the Tyron Band and the Alloy wheels.

The bands are coated to protect both wheel and Tyron Band, they are also fitted with plastic feet so there is very little connection of metal and their needs to be moisture for the reaction to take place.

We have been supplying Range Rover, Jaguar, Ford etc. for over 15 years on their alloy wheels with no problems

I hope this clarifies the situation

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As for tyron bands not being used on Alloy wheels, the dealer has obviously not fitted a tyron band for at least 2 years. Admittedly the older models were all steel, but the latest model has plastic isolators which do not damage or corrode on contact with alloy wheels. I work in the Tyre Industry, and having seen the results of unseated tyres on numerous occasions, the use of Tyrons must be advised to all road users of trailers/caravans or vehicles of higher profile tyres which travel at higher speeds. All UK Police authorities use them on their vans as they are proven to limit damage & injury to both the raod user and third party persons & property.

The following link should prove conclusive. Have a look & see for yourselves, then have them fitted for your own safety and should your tyre become deflated, you won't be splashing out to have the side panel of your van replaced.

http://www.tyron.com/testinggen/TMain.htm
p.s. I don't work for Tyron, but I love both caravanning & my familly.

TRENDING THREADS