Tyron Bands

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Good Evening all.
I am in the process of changing my van and the sales person I am dealing with has recomended that I have "Tyron Bands" . And of course they can fit them for £150.
Well I must admit having had a family member who had a caravan on its side one day a few years ago following a blow out I like the idea. The first thing I did when I bought my present van was renew the tyres that were 6 years old even though they looked ok to me.
So my question is does anyone have any views to the pros and cons of these devices or are they just another way of getting us to part with a few quid.

Thank you and all the best:- Brian

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The topic of Tyrons has come up many times over the last few years, and there is, or seems, no definitive proof that they are either good or bad.
Tyron themselves can not supply definitive data to say they do any good, just that certain people use them.
So, with that in mind, it seems that if you get a feel good factor from having them fitted, so be it.

One downside is that a special allen key is required to remove them, along with a special spreader and some tyre places will not fit or remove them,some will.

Whilst there will be occasional problems with tyres resulting in rapid deflation, the owner can take a more pro active approach and make sure the tyres are in good condition and at the correct pressure.
With a slow puncture they "may " provide some extra time to stop. but in a sidewall extensive blow out, I dont think anything will prevent some damage to the van and wheel.

Keeping a regular eye on the caravan tyres when towing will also help as it is not always immediately obvious of a van tyre problem as it is a car tyre problem due to the distance away from the car and hitch method.

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
some people like them because they say they can control van with blow out some people dont like them because the blown tyre stays on the rim and can do more damage to the van.Some tyre fitters will not tuoch them iff bands are fitted (my pal had this problem ) any saftey devive is good but personel choice is yours the price is about £140 for a single axle as i was quoted.I know people who travell abroad and d.ont use them

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
An excellent well balanced reply from Damian(excuse the pun).
For my part I do not consider them to be offer any safety advantage over well maintained tyres, and as such I see them as an unnecessary expense and inconvenience.
I will happily change my opinion if Tyron can provide good valid scientific evidence to support their claims.

May 1, 2010
Visit site
If you look on Youtube and search Tyron safety bands you will find a video posted by Read Caravans showing result of blow out on many vehicles, including caravans fitted with Tyron bands. I have them fitted to my van and recently had to have a puncture repaired. I used Etyres and their mobile fitter took the tyre off, and replaced it using the standard equipment fitted in his van.

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't want to be changing a tyre on the continent with Tyron Bands, and they won't prevent a tyre delaminating and damaging the caravan, and they won't prevent a blowout either, maybe make one less likely if you are irresponsible checking tyre condition and pressures.

Commercial (van) tyres are not designed to run on the sidewalls like run-flats are. Even so, I had a blowout when I had inadventently let my speed drift to 70mph on a long downhill stretch of dualcarriageway. There was no fuss or drama, no instability or weaving. Just a MASSIVE drag on the towcar, and I pulled over and changed the wheel which had no rim damage. Fortunately when the tread departed from the carcass, it didn't damage the van. Tyron's wouldn't have helped one jot as the sidewalls stayed put due to the inbuilt safety ledge which all modern wheel designs incorporate.

See this thread:
http://www.practicalcaravan.com/forum/towing-driving-safety/tyron-bands
and the second half of this thread:
http://www.caravantalk.org.uk/topic/43124-tyron-bands-with-al-ko-ats/
which also has a picture of my shredded tyre.

May 1, 2010
Visit site
I have been caravanning for 40 years and during that time I have had one blow out. I check tyres and pressures before each trip and change tyres every 5 years regardless of apparent ware. Although the van pulled up without damage to the van and I was within legal speed limit of 60 on dual carriageway, the tyre was completely wrecked and the wheel damaged beyond repair. I was recently travelling in my son's car, 57 reg, that is regularly serviced and checked when another blow out occurred. Once again a wrecked wheel. I also know personally 3 caravanners who have rolled their vans both single axle and twin axle as a result of a blow out. I caravan for around 10 to 12 weeks a year and attend many rallies. I feel the Tyron Bands are worth the cost but I hope that I never have to test them.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Henry,

None of the Tyron demonstrations I have seen of stands up to close scientific scrutiny. They do not show realistic situations.

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
btw - If you are a 'believer', then the best place to buy is Ebay at about £15 each.
I've got a pair of 14" ones I must get around to listing!

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I appreciate All replies.
I am going to give them a miss at the moment. I tend to be a bit fussy checking the tyres before each outing and I feel that provided I don't tow at excessive speeds (although That isn't likly with my car) I should be ok. No one I belive can predict a blow out and You just have to hope the consequences are not to dramatic should it happen. Again I appreciate the advice given.

Regards Brian

Jul 30, 2008
Visit site
I would agree with most postings. I had Tyrons fitted when I bought the new van 3 years ago believing the marketing!!
When I change my tyres next year I will have them taken off as just too much hassle especially as I do most of my hols in Europe where they do not have a clue what to do!
I have just purchased the "Tyre Dog" TPMS system (same as Tyre Pal UK but much cheaper import from Taiwan at £112 & £20 import duty) for about the same price as Tyrons - a far better option imo to monitoring your tyres. I already have TPMS on the car as standard.
Regards
Alan

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
Tyron Bands polarise opinion and you'll never change those who like the 'peace of mind at any price' ( false sense of security brigade?), and those who take a more scientific and skeptical approach (because the proof isn't there). People are making a living promoting these things of course!

Effort is better placed changing tyres more frequently and performing proper checks (to get your peace of mind), or why not put the money towards a tyre pressure monitoring system? An alternative approach taken by some is to use a water soluble puncture preventative. http://www.caravantalk.org.uk/topic/29778-phantom-tyre-foam/

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts