Unbraked Caravan Question

Jul 23, 2022
Visit site
Hi,

My tow car is a hybrid rated to tow an unbraked trailer of 725kgs max. I'm guessing it needs to be an unbraked trailer so as not to mess up the regenerative braking system on these cars.

Some of the small caravans I'm looking at buying within the weight range are braked trailers.

My question is ... If I buy a caravan which has an Al-Ko braking system fitted as standard is it possible to disengage the braking system so that my car can tow it safely?

Jul 23, 2022
Visit site
Hi,

It's a Toyota Prius 1.8.

I've used it to tow a little homemade teardrop trailer (unbraked) successfully. Now I want to move up in the world - and buy a factory made caravan but it seems a lot of them come with brakes.

Since my original posting, I just read that if brakes are fitted they must be kept working.....

“A trailer with a Gross Vehicle Weight of 750kg or lower, is not required to have brakes, but if brakes are fitted they must be in full working order.”

So looks like disengaging them is not an option ☹️.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Why would you want to disengage the trailer brakes, doesn't make sense.
Hi,

It's a Toyota Prius 1.8.

I've used it to tow a little homemade teardrop trailer (unbraked) successfully. Now I want to move up in the world - and buy a factory made caravan but it seems a lot of them come with brakes.

Since my original posting, I just read that if brakes are fitted they must be kept working.....

“A trailer with a Gross Vehicle Weight of 750kg or lower, is not required to have brakes, but if brakes are fitted they must be in full working order.”

So looks like disengaging them is not an option ☹.
Why would you want to disengage trailer brakes if fitted. Makes no sense.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
What exactly has made you think you can only tow an unbraked trailer ? Can you post the exact wording as I suspect you may have misinterpreted what it means.

Jul 19, 2021
Visit site
From the Toyota website

Moving upwards in towing ability, the latest Yaris has a towing capacity of 450kg. The Prius and Toyota C-HR share a recommended towing capacity of 725kg for both a braked or unbraked trailer.

So, 725kg max. Not going to be a very big caravan

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
The UK law only allows towing unbraked trailers up to a maximum of 750 kgs.
As the Toyota in question is limited to less than that, it is just 725 kgs, then any trailer used can be unbraked. As I read Toyota's statement it does not specifically preclude braked trailers.
The regenerative contribution from a braked trailer will be less than an equivalent unbraked trailer, so the overall fuel economy I suspect follows suit, however I can't envisage a lower regenerative contribution damaging the engine nor transmission.
Driving carefully solo would also have the same effect of reducing the regenerative contribution and they don't warn against that.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
Question: is the Prius homologated for towing? Look at the vehicle plate and see if it has two numbers at the top. If it has only one it is not homologated (i.e. approved) for towing: if it has two numbers then subtract the smaller number from the larger and you will have the towing limit. The other numbers marked 1 and 2 are the front and rear maximum axle loads respectively. The vehicle plate may be on the door pillar or in the engine compartment.

Reactions: Niall_McIntosh
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Question: is the Prius homologated for towing? Look at the vehicle plate and see if it has two numbers at the top. If it has only one it is not homologated (i.e. approved) for towing: if it has two numbers then subtract the smaller number from the larger and you will have the towing limit. The other numbers marked 1 and 2 are the front and rear maximum axle loads respectively. The vehicle plate may be on the door pillar or in the engine compartment.
But that doesn’t answer the OPs concern about braked and unbraked below 750 kg. The link to the Toyota Q&A doesn’t discriminate as long as a car is only towing within its specified limits. The OP doesn’t say where his information came from. I can’t envisage braked trailer under 750 kg would damage an engine How it interacts with the hybrid regenrtive sytems I don’t know. But Toyota tech seem pretty proactive in answering questions so my first port of call would be my handbook and Toyota tech.

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Sometimes at the back of the magazine there is a 'niche' section but the MTPLM of light models seems to be uniformly 750, although something like a Go-pod has a MIRO of 540, so presumably you could travel lightly and keep beneath the 725?
I had a look at Pennine website, and the MTPLM quotes for either the Countryman or Fiesta folding campers models is the same 750, Fiesta 2022 Incl Awning RRP £17,495 (pennineoutdoorleisure.co.uk) with a MIRO of 620, so the same may be possible.
I also looked at Tents | Trailer Tents | Camping Equipment | Caravan Accessories | Camperlands aa an example and you can browse trailer tents that have MTPLM of between 450 and 600 so that might be an avenue to explore.
The way to be sure of the weight is to load up in holiday mode and then go to a weighbridge which you can google in your local area.

Jul 23, 2022
Visit site
Hi All,

Thanks for all the informed answers. Turns out according to this:

I can tow a braked trailer providing it doesn't exceed 725kg. I was under the misapprehension the trailer had to be unbraked.

Jul 23, 2022
Visit site
...just to add ... the teardrop trailer I towed last year was just under 725kg ( I took it to a weighbridge). It towed like a dream and I was getting about 45 -50 mpg.

I liked the fact it was unbraked because it was maintenance free.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I cannot see why a car should be unable to tow a braked trailer even if it is under 740 kg. The brakes work irrespective of any input from the car and should improve braking rather than causing any problem. It is only if you have the electronic ALKO system that there may be a problem and nothing that I know of comes with that. Possibly the best bet is to contact the dealer or manufacturer if you are worried as we are giving our opinions rather than the manufacturers position, which would be the legal one.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I'm pleased you have found the answer to your question, It seemed illogical that a barked trailer could have a detrimental affect on drive train or braking when an un braked trailer wouldn't.

Happy hunting.

Nov 12, 2021
Visit site
In a nutshell the maximum weight of an unbraked trailer must not exceed 750kg.
I had a trailer tent that weighed well under 750kg and the previous owner had had a factory fitted braking system installed which noticeably reduced the load on my tow car's brakes compared to my previous unbraked trailer tent.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
...just to add ... the teardrop trailer I towed last year was just under 725kg ( I took it to a weighbridge). It towed like a dream and I was getting about 45 -50 mpg.

I liked the fact it was unbraked because it was maintenance free.
It's worth remembering that the 725 kg limit for your car applies to the fully laden weight of any trailer/caravan, NOT the ex-works / unladen weight / Mass In Running Order (MIRO)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
From a technical perspective, the cars maximum towed weight is of course only the weight carried by the trailers wheels. This must not exceed 725kg in this instance.

However this excludes the portion of the trailers weight which bears down on the cars tow hitch as nose load, according to Construction and Use regulations the minimum nose load which should be arranged by trailer loading to be a minimum of 25Kg which conveniently means the all up weight of the trailer can be 750Kg which is also the legal maximum weight for an unbraked trailer.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Let us not confuse, Mc Guffin for the sake of the 25kg and the nose weights, his/her( PC correct) question is about trailer brakes.
In the context of the OP's situation having the extra 25Kg to play with could open up a number of additional products. Its not over complicated.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
according to Construction and Use regulations the minimum nose load which should be arranged by trailer loading to be a minimum of 25Kg which conveniently means the all up weight of the trailer can be 750Kg which is also the legal maximum weight for an unbraked trailer.
I think you'll find that the 25kg minimum noseweight is what the manufacturer must ensure, not what the owner must comply with in service when car and trailer are hitched.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts