Under 50's only Site

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Ok.... im prepared to be flamed as this is totally tounge in cheek
smiley-tongue-out.gif

However, although i can see the reason for the 'Adult only' sites (i suppose this means anyone over 18?, so a bunch of 19years olds would be fine?) as some people want peace and quiet to relax without the likes of my 6 year old playing on the swings nearby or playing football on a play area

I did read a column in Caravan magazine where the journo was having a bit of a dig at the way vanning is going and the increasing number of adult owners sites. He raised the question, how many people would complain if a site advertised themselves as ' no over 50's allowed'.

I tend to agree with him that there would a stream of complaints and possibly some claims of discrimnation based on age but thats exactly what adult only sites are doing.

I have a feeling this will be a healthy debate so apologies to the mods if i have abused the wrong forum section.
smiley-cool.gif

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Valid point Andy
Personally I've done all the screaming kids thing years ago but now I may wish to take my grandson away . He will probably have more fun at Hillhead for example so I'd take him there for his sake not mine.
smiley-kiss.gif

Adult only is a generalisation I can live with but to actually start stipulating actual ages is a step too far imo.

Is it age that's getting to me because I'd love to know why most kids screams and cries are such a high pitched shrill that kind of goes right through your head? My kids were the same so I do have the T Shirt
smiley-cool.gif

At the end of the day there's plenty of site choices out there so I don't feel I'm being prejudiced yet.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
andy72 said:
I have a feeling this will be a healthy debate so apologies to the mods if i have abused the wrong forum section.
smiley-cool.gif
No problem Andy but because this debate would be more appropriate in this General section I've moved it across

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I`m with Dusty on this one, but to turn it on it`s head I would also like to see some over 50s only sites, oh dear now look what I have done, flack jacket any one, Duck!
smiley-wink.gif

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
Cor!!! where will this end how about sites for coffin dodgers only and you have to book via an ouija board and pay in advance in case you croak it on route
smiley-surprised.gif

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
In truth Cookie and not aiming my generalisation in an offensive way, i think 'Over 50's' would be a better term than just Adults only. I feel the majority of people that require Adults only will be people who have maybe worn the Kids holiday t-Shirt as Dusty says and now just want some peace to relax. I may be off the mark but i guess the vast majority will be over 50, just like my own parents who only went to Adults only sites before they gave us their van.

I think the main problem is the terminology. I think rather than it being down to adult with kids or adults without, it is more down to noise levels. To prove my point, of the adults only site users, how many would object to a child being on site that you never heard a peep from? would you complain?

But the question still stands, what percentage of 'over 50's' would complain at being rejected access to a site becuase they were too old?

(to keep it in perspective, i am aware that the vast majority of sites are open door and only a small percentage are adults only)

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
We have no objection to kids as long as they are on another site! Seriously if they are well behaved and polite no problem. It is the irresponsible parents that allow their kids to go tearing around the site screaming at the top of their little lungs as if they own the site that need a wake up call. Another reaosn why we avoid C & CC sites!
smiley-laughing.gif

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Surfer said:
It is the irresponsible parents that allow their kids to go tearing around the site screaming at the top of their little lungs as if they own the site that need a wake up call.

... and therein lies the problem in a nutshell. You can have 10 families on site with kids and it doesn't matter what their ages are. All it takes is one moronic family, and there are plenty of those in broken Britain, to spoil everyones holiday.

I see one problem about under 50s only campsites, how will people be able to take their grandchildren because they wont be welcome on the over 50s sites ... heh! heh! heh!

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
It’s not just kids though is it. The noisiest pitch I have ever had was in France when two middle aged English couples turned up with a couple of tents and pitched the other side of the hedge from me. They seemed incapable of talking at a normal volume and as the vino intake increased, so did the volume of their speech. When they finally retired for the night I swear the snoring vibrated my ‘van.
smiley-yell.gif

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
hi slightly off topic but we came across a site in the highlands that had a sign on the gate.
Adults only,
No PETS,
No tents,
No motor bikes.
No same sex parties (ie workmen)
No comercial vehicles.
It had one 8 acre field with all the facilities and 2 vans on it (the first week in august) may be it was the midges that kept the campers away what do you think???

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Lord Braykewynde said:
I see one problem about under 50s only campsites, how will people be able to take their grandchildren because they wont be welcome on the over 50s sites ... heh! heh! heh!

I take my grandson and I'm not 50 YET, LB you must realise mummy's and daddies are younger nowadays
smiley-embarassed.gif

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Gagakev said:
Lord Braykewynde said:

I take my grandson and I'm not 50 YET, LB you must realise mummy's and daddies are younger nowadays
smiley-embarassed.gif

... then you have no problem then Kev because you will be welcome with your grandchildren on the under 50s site
smiley-smile.gif

.... that is unless it's an under 50s adult only site
smiley-frown.gif

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
chrisbee 1 said:
It’s not just kids though is it. The noisiest pitch I have ever had was in France when two middle aged English couples turned up with a couple of tents and pitched the other side of the hedge from me. They seemed incapable of talking at a normal volume and as the vino intake increased, so did the volume of their speech. When they finally retired for the night I swear the snoring vibrated my ‘van.
smiley-yell.gif
They must have been the same ones in a caravan (now) at Camping Neptune last year! Same loud voices, shouted across the pitch in between their two units, and audible throughout two rows of pitches! It started as soon as they got up and went on until they went to bed. Fortunately they obviously drank themselves into an early bedtime, and a late breakfast, so we were able to escape for the day! Worst thing was they were football fans, with club flags everywhere - and spent a lot of time with the Satellite TV on VERY LOUD watching football! They were also (apparently, we learned from having to listen to their conversation), Caravan Club rally organisers! We actually moved sites to get away from them.
Back to the original subject, a lot of teachers (of any age) prefer adult only sites - even though they may be of a much younger age - so Adult only is better than Over 50's.

Oct 14, 2008
Visit site
What about a no idiots site.

Welcome all so long as you know what is acceptable behaviour for your party. Have seen poor behaviour from all ends of the spectrum. screaming kids round the toilet block to drunken OAPS at lunchtime. To couples arguing at 3am.

All most people want is normal acceptable behaviour from all but some spoil it for everyone.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I think that I'm probably one of a small minority of over 50s caravanners without small children who actually likes to see children playing outside enjoying themselves while they are on holiday.
Sure, kids shout and scream a wee bit, I put it down to the excitement of the kids enjoying their holiday and playing with their friends out in the good fresh air instead of sitting in front of a screen in a darkened bedroom on their own.
Don't get me wrong, if children interfere with my caravan in any way such as playing football or cricket too close I have no hesitation in politely but firmly asking them to play somewhere away from the caravans. I've never had any problem from either kids or their parents on the few occasions that this has happened and I'm not a 6'6" bar room gladiator, in fact I'm just 5'4" and fairly inoffensive but a polite good humoured approach works wonders every time.
Anything has to be better than standing with arms folded glaring and tut tutting which I'm amused to see many other older types do, kids don't think like 50+ year olds and a bit of good natured tolerance from both sides goes a long way so it's best to try to set a good example to our next generation of caravanners.
Some site offer reasonably priced 'over 50s' breaks,it helps to fill empty pitches and cash registers when children are at school and if that's your sort of thing go for it!
There are adults only sites which offer peace and quiet if this is what floats your boat, I'd imagine that they are like morgues, each to their own but it's not for me.
When I was a kid I was bought up by my widowed father and I used to be outside playing from morning until it was starting to get dark when not at school.
When the kindly lady next door managed to get hold of me she'd try to clean me up because I seemed to be a 'muck magnet' (still am!)
My dad would say that he'd rather see me outside playing and making a noise and getting dirty than lying pale quiet and still in a sick bed and I have the same outlook on life.
It's a pity that more sites don't offer cheap deals for families with children because the young are often stereotyped and discriminated against in ways that us over 50s would find unacceptable, check out pitch prices during half term if you don't believe me
smiley-undecided.gif

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Parksy - Moderator said:
I think that I'm probably one of a small minority of over 50s caravanners without small children who actually likes to see children playing outside enjoying themselves while they are on holiday.
Sure, kids shout and scream a wee bit, I put it down to the excitement of the kids enjoying their holiday and playing with their friends out in the good fresh air instead of sitting in front of a screen in a darkened bedroom on their own.
Don't get me wrong, if children interfere with my caravan in any way such as playing football or cricket too close I have no hesitation in politely but firmly asking them to play somewhere away from the caravans. I've never had any problem from either kids or their parents on the few occasions that this has happened and I'm not a 6'6" bar room gladiator, in fact I'm just 5'4" and fairly inoffensive but a polite good humoured approach works wonders every time.
Anything has to be better than standing with arms folded glaring and tut tutting which I'm amused to see many other older types do, kids don't think like 50+ year olds and a bit of good natured tolerance from both sides goes a long way so it's best to try to set a good example to our next generation of caravanners.
Some site offer reasonably priced 'over 50s' breaks,it helps to fill empty pitches and cash registers when children are at school and if that's your sort of thing go for it!
There are adults only sites which offer peace and quiet if this is what floats your boat, I'd imagine that they are like morgues, each to their own but it's not for me.
When I was a kid I was bought up by my widowed father and I used to be outside playing from morning until it was starting to get dark when not at school.
When the kindly lady next door managed to get hold of me she'd try to clean me up because I seemed to be a 'muck magnet' (still am!)
My dad would say that he'd rather see me outside playing and making a noise and getting dirty than lying pale quiet and still in a sick bed and I have the same outlook on life.
It's a pity that more sites don't offer cheap deals for families with children because the young are often stereotyped and discriminated against in ways that us over 50s would find unacceptable, check out pitch prices during half term if you don't believe me
smiley-undecided.gif
Steady on Parksy
One has to be PC on this Forum
smiley-wink.gif
smiley-laughing.gif

As youngsters we spent a lot of time wild camping with my Uncle, a WW2 hero. He had the medals but never spoke of it much . We were taught how to live off the land , light fires and work together as a cohesive team for the good of everyone. That now seems to have disappeared down a black hole. What a shame because catching rabbits and cooking them, living off the land was great fun and a dying skill.
Whoops gone into ****** mode
smiley-laughing.gif

I really don't care too much but let's not cut off our own legs here.
smiley-kiss.gif

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
…….my wife was a primary school teacher for 35 years and she has seen it all as regards children’s behaviour.
She never ceases to be amazed at how well the children behave on C&CC Rallies.
It is down to serious caravaners knowing how to behave and setting an example to their children.
I agree with her………….it’s the parents!

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
"no over 50s allowed" Well i have herd of the 18 to 30 club, and cannot recall them having any trouble with regards discrimination.
And I am sure there is a market out there for younger campers, but would main stream sites ever try to impose such a thing?
Doubt it, they cannot make their money solely on bank holidays and summer holidays, quite possibly the over 50s group is a large and prosperous bunch who go away possibly more so than the younger campers,and not just at the mainstream times.
It would be reckless for the majority of sites to have a "no over 50s" policy, where as "Only over 50s" sites could possibly function quite well.

PS, No I am not 50 yet....

Mar 2, 2010
Visit site
Parksy - Moderator said:
smiley-undecided.gif

What a good post shame more people dont have this attitude

Mar 2, 2010
Visit site
My bit was in the middle

What a good post shame more people dont have this attitude

I think I need a few lessons on using this forum lol

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
"kids to go tearing around the site screaming at the top of their little lungs as if they own the site"
The clue is the word KIDS, that whats they do , thats what you did when you were a kid.

I think many have probably forgotten what its like to be a kid.. and what you probably did when you were young.

Im nearly 50, less than one year to go.... i have a 27yrd old ,a 10 year old and a 4 year old.... i still run down the ailse in morrisons pretending to be an aeroplane and go skipping with my 4 year old outside the shops or in the park..... who cares what anyone else thinks.
I personally think there should be family only sites, no boring old wrinklies tut tutting and complaining about the noise or discipline.
When i see grandparents with their grand kids on a caravan site , they are outside, walking, playing games and are not being the stereotypical coffin dodger sat in a chair reading a book and drinking tea ans moaning about the weather, the government, the kids, the grass, the rain, the price of petrol, gas and electricity and reminiscing about the "good old days" and how people these days have never had it so good.
They just have an enormous amount of fun. Brilliant. Famiily only sites , no singles or couples of any age..... bring it on.

Very often i suspect these are the same people who complain that kids these days just watch telly or play computer games all day or hang around street corners and they say " we didnt do that in my day".... Well its getting more difficult to take them on holiday incase they make a noise , run around a bit and dont sit in front of the telly all day.....just incase some one complains.

What were you like as a teenager in the 60's?. It must have been quite liberating for quite a few of you... as the 70's certainly were for me
smiley-wink.gif
. No pot but the girls were great fun....
smiley-cool.gif

I

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Philspadders said:
"kids to go tearing around the site screaming at the top of their little lungs as if they own the site"
The clue is the word KIDS, that whats they do , thats what you did when you were a kid.

I think many have probably forgotten what its like to be a kid.. and what you probably did when you were young.

Im nearly 50, less than one year to go.... i have a 27yrd old ,a 10 year old and a 4 year old.... i still run down the ailse in morrisons pretending to be an aeroplane and go skipping with my 4 year old outside the shops or in the park..... who cares what anyone else thinks.
I personally think there should be family only sites, no boring old wrinklies tut tutting and complaining about the noise or discipline.
When i see grandparents with their grand kids on a caravan site , they are outside, walking, playing games and are not being the stereotypical coffin dodger sat in a chair reading a book and drinking tea ans moaning about the weather, the government, the kids, the grass, the rain, the price of petrol, gas and electricity and reminiscing about the "good old days" and how people these days have never had it so good.
They just have an enormous amount of fun. Brilliant. Famiily only sites , no singles or couples of any age..... bring it on.

Very often i suspect these are the same people who complain that kids these days just watch telly or play computer games all day or hang around street corners and they say " we didnt do that in my day".... Well its getting more difficult to take them on holiday incase they make a noise , run around a bit and dont sit in front of the telly all day.....just incase some one complains.

What were you like as a teenager in the 60's?. It must have been quite liberating for quite a few of you... as the 70's certainly were for me
smiley-wink.gif
. No pot but the girls were great fun....
smiley-cool.gif

I
Apparently there is a teachers strike planned or has already took place. Teachers don't half take some stick, from the media ill informed parents and indeed it seems from kids. We want them to teach our kids but don't want them discipline them or remove our noisy prats from the classroom.
But we do blame teachers and their teaching methods if our kids don't learn properly or enough or fail!
I blame the parents, but I am wondering here Phil having read your post, how you personally would handle a ten or 11 year old running down a shopping isle playing air planes and not looking and sending your 4 year old flying and crashing to the Ground hurt. Well its only a little fun, I am sure you wouldn't mind. But in the same circumstances I would mind,and I would blame the parents!!!

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
JonnyG said:
Teachers don't half take some stick, from the media ill informed parents and indeed it seems from kids. We want them to teach our kids but don't want them discipline them or remove our noisy prats from the classroom.
But we do blame teachers and their teaching methods if our kids don't learn properly or enough or fail!
I blame the parents, but I am wondering here Phil having read your post, how you personally would handle a ten or 11 year old running down a shopping isle playing air planes and not looking and sending your 4 year old flying and crashing to the Ground hurt. Well its only a little fun, I am sure you wouldn't mind. But in the same circumstances I would mind,and I would blame the parents!!!

Gawd pass me a chair. Oops I forgot, I'm already sat in one.
That is the best post I've seen you make in the years you've been on this forum and what's more I actually understand it
smiley-smile.gif

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Philspadders said:
i still run down the ailse in morrisons pretending to be an aeroplane and go skipping with my 4 year old outside the shops or in the park..... who cares what anyone else thinks.

Is it any wonder kids are out of control running around the aisles (shakes head, rolls eyes icon thingy).
You might not care what people think but it's not doing kids a favour by making those claims.
I wonder how many wrinklies (as he calls them) Spadders manages to pick up in his trolley by the time he lands at the checkout
smiley-laughing.gif

Nothing wrong with you skipping outside the store though. It's healthy as long as you dont get your foot caught in the skipping rope and go ass over head
smiley-surprised.gif
Buy a hoolahoop, it's less dangerous and will do wonders for your curves ... heh! heh! heh!
smiley-laughing.gif

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I think some people are forgetting what its like to have kids. I have a feeling they may be of the generation where children were seen and not heard. Time to move forward into the modern ages!!!

However Phil has actaully proved a point re how having a families only type site would be a good idea. .Just look at the condeming reaction to his areoplanning and tomfoolery with the kids comment. I can imagine those same people being the ones that tut and huff when a football rolls onto the corner of their pitch.

Its a sad day when a hobby/ pastime traditionally known for family holidays has evolved into a world of segregation. In that sense, i think we have actually 'devolved'
smiley-foot-in-mouth.gif

TRENDING THREADS