Unknown Issue

Apr 2, 2022
Visit site
Hi to you all
I was viewing a Sprite 2014 and there is a large dull area above the rear side window externally (Apologies they are the best pics I have) Dealer does not know what it is. The rest of the van is in superb condition and its dry.
Is anyone able to give me some idea what could be causing this issue?Tried to polish off without success. It makes the panel look awful. I really like the van but it only comes with a 3 mth warranty.

Gaz
IMG20220409151807.jpgIMG20220409151732.jpg

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Did you actually use a polish or just a cloth. I had a dull area on my 2013 Sprite when I was distracted during polishing it and did not remove the polish. It dried dull, and when I noticed it a few days later I had to apply more polish in order to remove the dullness.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Possibly had repair work done for a scratch or scrape. And the spray paint has not been matched and blended well.

I had a Bailey done as an insurance job and rejected it 3 or 4 times. I was peeved as I had a 50 mile round trip to reject each time. The dealer was very unhappy as their sub contractor could not get it right. but kept taking their side. In the end they told me that the insurance company were happy so I had to take it. I told them where to go, then double checked with the insurance who said that the quality control was up to me and they never got involved. And that if I was not happy, to keep rejecting. Never used that dealer since then.

John

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The dealer may offer you a 3 month warranty, but CRA 2015 protects you for 6 years. Within the first 30 days after delivery if you find an issue, you can reject the caravan and get a refund.
After the 30 days, but within 6 months of delivery you need to give the dealer one chance at a repair. If they cannot do the repair within a reasonable time you can request a replacement, a discount or reject the caravan.
Always try and pay a deposit using a credit card as you are then also covered with S75 of the CCA. If having some finance on the caravan then there is additional protection in the fork of S75(a) of the CCA.
Do a search for reviews on the dealer as it is their after sales service that counts!

Apr 2, 2022
Visit site
The dealer may offer you a 3 month warranty, but CRA 2015 protects you for 6 years. Within the first 30 days after delivery if you find an issue, you can reject the caravan and get a refund.
After the 30 days, but within 6 months of delivery you need to give the dealer one chance at a repair. If they cannot do the repair within a reasonable time you can request a replacement, a discount or reject the caravan.
Always try and pay a deposit using a credit card as you are then also covered with S75 of the CCA. If having some finance on the caravan then there is additional protection in the fork of S75(a) of the CCA.
Do a search for reviews on the dealer as it is their after sales service that counts!
OK thx . I'm giving the dealer a call on Tuesday where they will try and find out what or if its actually an issue. Will certainly take on board what you say if I proceed.

Apr 2, 2022
Visit site
Did you actually use a polish or just a cloth. I had a dull area on my 2013 Sprite when I was distracted during polishing it and did not remove the polish. It dried dull, and when I noticed it a few days later I had to apply more polish in order to remove the dullness.
Only a very small area but it did not change its appearance. As the dealer was only open for sales they will take a look at it on Monday. If its a previous repair its very smooth but definitely unsightly.

Reactions: Jcloughie
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We had a similar patch appear on one of our previous vans which we had from new, our servicing guy said it was a repair that was probably not noticeable when done but over time the fresh paint had faded, if you are not 100% on the caravan walk away, and look for another one without the blemish, although at 8 years old it is probably very difficult to get a perfect match anyway.

Apr 2, 2022
Visit site
We had a similar patch appear on one of our previous vans which we had from new, our servicing guy said it was a repair that was probably not noticeable when done but over time the fresh paint had faded, if you are not 100% on the caravan walk away, and look for another one without the blemish, although at 8 years old it is probably very difficult to get a perfect match anyway.
Thx for the reply. I think the van is very nice and tbh I noticed it as I was walking away and looking back at it. But once I saw it , it really stood out. So I will see what the dealer finds out next week. I know the perfect van isn't out there but I'll keep looking.

Reactions: JezzerB
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
It seems common that the paint on repaired panels fades/discolours at a different rate to the rest of the panel - so while the repair may not be visible when done it gradually becomes more and more apparent.

If it were me, I'd only buy it if the dealer agrees to respray the whole panel - and I doubt they'd agree to that.

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
My first caravan was a 1999 Avondale and had lots of similar patches and I tried for a couple of years to blend all the patches in but no good at all, I then had a polish job on the whole van done by tourershine caravan clean and polish company, the caravan was a complete difference and all the blemishes were gone, might be worth giving them a ring for advice or even a polish.

BP

Apr 2, 2022
Visit site
My first caravan was a 1999 Avondale and had lots of similar patches and I tried for a couple of years to blend all the patches in but no good at all, I then had a polish job on the whole van done by tourershine caravan clean and polish company, the caravan was a complete difference and all the blemishes were gone, might be worth giving them a ring for advice or even a polish.

BP
Thx for your reply, very interesting.

Apr 2, 2022
Visit site
It seems common that the paint on repaired panels fades/discolours at a different rate to the rest of the panel - so while the repair may not be visible when done it gradually becomes more and more apparent.

If it were me, I'd only buy it if the dealer agrees to respray the whole panel - and I doubt they'd agree to that.
Perhaps I'm being overly fussy. It is in excellent condition apart from this. It is exactly what my wife & I are looking for. I'll speak to the dealer next week .

Reactions: Hutch and JezzerB
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Perhaps I'm being overly fussy. It is in excellent condition apart from this. It is exactly what my wife & I are looking for. I'll speak to the dealer next week .
I agree with all the comments here . Caravan paint is microns thin compared to a car . Blown in colour matching is very difficult. My unit has faded patches, not accident damage but plain wear. Good old Autoglym super Resin polish restores harmony. Plus elbow grease. No abrasives like t cut or there’ll be no paint left!
I’d do two things
1 Ensure there are no signs of damp around the area.
2. Take my Autoglym and rags and ask permission to polish a small section. If it buffs up then👍👍BTW it does have a FSH? Best of luck

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I agree with Dusty as that what I’ve used on caravan and cars. The Autoglym polish is very gentle and the shine can be given extra protection for a longer time by then using the Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection, a non abrasive coating very easy to apply.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I agree with Dusty as that what I’ve used on caravan and cars. The Autoglym polish is very gentle and the shine can be given extra protection for a longer time by then using the Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection, a non abrasive coating very easy to apply.
On a previous caravan we used Meguirs 3 step and it really brought up the shine on the caravan, but that was many years ago when i was able to polish the caravan. Darn hard work! :D

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Best thing we ever did was having Paintseal applied to our current caravan. Even a rainstorm washes the caravan including roof nice and clean. It only gets a shampoo wash once a year done by a local as I cannot manage it.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Best thing we ever did was having Paintseal applied to our current caravan. Even a rainstorm washes the caravan including roof nice and clean. It only gets a shampoo wash once a year done by a local as I cannot manage it.
Hi Ian took cover of yesterday lovely and shiny but next year consider Paintseal it might make it easier for us .

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Hi Ian took cover of yesterday lovely and shiny but next year consider Paintseal it might make it easier for us .
We had it done on a brand new caravan 4 1/2 years ago at a cost of about £500. It is a ceramic coating and guaranteed for 5 years on new caravans and 3 years on second hand caravans.
Not worth it if you may be trading in the caravan in the next three years. You are better off contacting Tourershine. They come highly recommended and do an excellent job.

Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
Interesting to read the comments regarding paint protection services.

When we bought our current van 2 years ago we asked for it to be treated with "Diamondbrite".

Our previous van (a Lunar) came with some upholstery protection which apparently even shook of a dollop of red wine (never did try this but certainly any small are of damage proved easy to remedy using nothing more than a damp cloth and clean water).

However we did notice that towards the front on one side of the van there was an obvious discoloration, It looked like a paintbrush had been swept over the van surface and left a stain. My conclusion was that the "Diamondbrite" application was the culprit.

I tried polishing over the area but that didn't seem to do much so, since it was only visible from one angle and not particularly offensive I just forgot about it. I've just checked and I can't even see the blemish now - seems to have faded.

It's not beyond the realms of possibility that the "defect" on this van has resulted from some "preservative" paint treatment if damage repair can be ruled out although this is, at best, a long shot.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Interesting to read the comments regarding paint protection services.

When we bought our current van 2 years ago we asked for it to be treated with "Diamondbrite".

Our previous van (a Lunar) came with some upholstery protection which apparently even shook of a dollop of red wine (never did try this but certainly any small are of damage proved easy to remedy using nothing more than a damp cloth and clean water).

However we did notice that towards the front on one side of the van there was an obvious discoloration, It looked like a paintbrush had been swept over the van surface and left a stain. My conclusion was that the "Diamondbrite" application was the culprit.

I tried polishing over the area but that didn't seem to do much so, since it was only visible from one angle and not particularly offensive I just forgot about it. I've just checked and I can't even see the blemish now - seems to have faded.

It's not beyond the realms of possibility that the "defect" on this van has resulted from some "preservative" paint treatment if damage repair can be ruled out although this is, at best, a long shot.

We had a car treated with Diamondbrite way back in about 2002. What a waste of money however it was part of the deal. Put us right off paint protectors until we came across Paintseal.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I think Paintseal and the rest of them depend on the application carried out.
With the rest of them you have to maintain the polish by shampooing and reapplying the coat. Paintseal used a ceramic coating so no need to keep maintaining it.

Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
With the rest of them you have to maintain the polish by shampooing and reapplying the coat. Paintseal used a ceramic coating so no need to keep maintaining it.

Oh dear!. Never knew that. I expected the Diamondbrite to be once applied that's enough deal.
If I am supposed to be re-treating every year them I'm lost. A once year wash is about my limit.

Where did you hear "With the rest of them you have to maintain the polish by shampooing and reapplying the coat. ".

Surely you do know this to be the situation and it's not just a "throwaway comment?"

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Oh dear!. Never knew that. I expected the Diamondbrite to be once applied that's enough deal.
If I am supposed to be re-treating every year them I'm lost. A once year wash is about my limit.

Where did you hear "With the rest of them you have to maintain the polish by shampooing and reapplying the coat. ".

Surely you do know this to be the situation and it's not just a "throwaway comment?"
Our experince was back in about 2003 so may have changed since however search for reviews.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts