Unusual uses for caravans

simonmortimer

Administrator
Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
I was flicking through a magazine the other day, when I came across this unusual and inventive use for a caravan:

/sites/practicalcaravan.com/files/images/Project_Image-50.jpg

This is part of a touring dance workshop, and the whole auditorium/stage can be inflated from the back of the van like a mini Eden Project. Did anyone catch the caravan at one of it's tour dates? You can see lots more images here: http://www.upprojects.com/portavilion/projects

What other unusual uses have you seen for caravans? We would love to hear some of your experiences, either here on the website, or if you prefer, you can send them in to us on the magazine.

Happy touring!

Simon (Art ed)

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
I saw a television programme yesterday (The Caravan Show I think) that aired a report of a chap who was converting a caravan (old Airstream I think) to be part of his luxury portable toilet hire fleet.
He had to strengthen the chassis, make into double axle to take the weight of the water and waste tanks.
It was being fitted out with domestic style toilets and wash hand basins etc.
Made me chuckle at least!!!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Back in my long-ago working days I was concerned with Automation of pharmaceutical processes including building new factories. These were generally spread out over quite a large area, such that 'travelling time' between job in hand and central workshop could be a considerable part of working hours and - in SW Scotland at least - with a fair chance of getting wet.

So we bought a secondhand Eccles Topaz - having reasonable headroom under an essentially flat roof - and equipped it as a mobile instrument calibration and test unit, with facilities for calibration and minor repair of temperature, pressure and flow sensors and all the other gubbins that go with them. We had a small air compressor, salt and metal pots for temperature calibration etc etc. We left basic "brew up" facilities and installed the usual main hook-up gear which the van did not have.

This served well for a number of years and was eventually sold to the local electrical contracting company for rather more than we had paid for it (including the kit). We did not worry too much about nose and all-up weight in those days, and i suspect it was not a good match for the Mk 1 Cavalier 1.6 with which I towed it from London to Scotland, but without any mishap. On site it was moved short distances by manpower - eay enough on flat concrete roads - or by site tractor for longer distances.

Unfortunately I don't have any pictures, but it was quite a smart looking set up, suitably lettered in Company style.

G

Very pleased with the staff at Ipswich that delt with my purchase, namely Steve and Holly and very pleased with the vehicle itself.The help and assistance given by your sales staff was much apreciated, particularly the salesman we bought the motorhome .
----------------------------------------
Motorhome Dealers

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts