USA Caravan

Apr 3, 2007
Visit site
Hello

I'm thinking about buying a USA Style caravan from www.executivecaravans.co.uk one of the CUB models (not sure which one yet) just wondered if anybody has any advice for me regarding these caravans are they as nice as they look.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Are you not back to the old issue of it being too wide to be towed legally by a normal car?

These as far as I can see are 244cm wide whereas with an normal car and car licence you can tow anything wider that 230cm if you are a UK resident. Okay if you have the appropriate vehicle and licence or if its for just leaving on one site and not touring then you could get it towed by somebody with the right vehicle and licence.

Shame I would like to import a proper Airstream from the US.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Are you not back to the old issue of it being too wide to be towed legally by a normal car?

These as far as I can see are 244cm wide whereas with an normal car and car licence you can tow anything wider that 230cm if you are a UK resident. Okay if you have the appropriate vehicle and licence or if its for just leaving on one site and not touring then you could get it towed by somebody with the right vehicle and licence.

Shame I would like to import a proper Airstream from the US.
I meant; "you can't tow anything wider that 230cm"

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Take a very very careful look over and under and even in behind the cupboards and in lockers.

Expect a USA built RV's to fall to bits on UK roads and in our climate. Even the best of American built motorhomes when closely inspected lack finess and build quality often does not offer longevity.

The electrical fittings can also be a problem for European campsite supplies and most puchasers in the UK tend to be commercial users who are going to have access to large generators or large mains supply.

It is quite common to find steel chassis that are only roughly painted, fine in California but only fit for rusting here.

Widthe a nd weight also means you will need a commercial vehicle as you tow car.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Just had a look at the site, and yes they do look nice, but unless you have the licence and truck to tow it with, it is illegal to tow with any standard car or 4x4, in the UK.

My guess, looking atthem are they are typically American, big, brash and make a statement, but remember they are made to take the kind of weather in the USA, not the damp, salt laden air of the UK.

Also, worth thinkng about,what is the spares situation like, and prices as they will have to be imported.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If, as is usual with American trailers, it has electrically operated brakes, then they are also illegal in the UK.

Also check the tow hitch size, as with everything American, their balls are larger!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts