Useless tech / equipment in cars

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 4, 2019
Visit site
On a car forum it was asked what was the most useless tech or equipment in a car. The one that made top of the list was the Stop / Start function. Mine peeves are the first four which I think should be options. :unsure:

From that thread I have compose a list of unnecessary stuff that you paid for, but probably will never use however take note of the comment in italics by one idiot. Do you have any to add?

Stop/Start
Unnecessary sunroof when you have air con, noisy when open at speed and you get roasted by the sun when its open.
Paddle shift gear change
Hill Descent Control on 4x4. Do we have any really steep hills in the UK requiring that function?

SatNav lack of functions as cannot add dimensions, doesn't show alternative routes and in many cases you need to pay big bucks to update
Another annoying thing can be automatic windscreen wipers, they are always either to fast or too slow.
The dashboard chime can be annoying when a door is slightly ajar
Touch screen with far too many apps that you will never use.
Lane keeping assist, lane centering, radar-guided cruise control. All this is making us worst/lazy drivers.Keep your hands on the steering wheel and pay attention. The poster does have a point!
Auto brights - always switches off too late for oncoming traffic , switches on when car is 200m in front.
Radar cruise control - car keeps preset distance, matches speed of front car when on cruise control, but when car in front gives way, car takes 10 seconds to increase speed again

Limo mode - rear entertainment cannot be accessed on front panel when in limo mode, but kids don’t know how to control the screens. Split screen in front - driver cannot see DVD/ media playing on front screen, but passenger can. I also want to see the dvd

Voice recognition was fun for 5 seconds then turned it off.
Headlamp washers in cars.
1. Electric handbrake a pain. Just to push the car a foot or two on the garage floor I must get the key, get in car, ignition on, foot on brake, electric brake off. Then put up with the siren as I get out to push the car. Also other Kia Sorento owners report overhaul cost £2,000. Manual handbrake service an easy DIY job.
2. Electric seats. Can’t move the seat quickly and easily, for an awkward load, or to take a rest.
Electric windows, can’t adjust them without ignition on. As well my Peugeot goes to economy mode after standing 10 mins, and all aforementioned require the engine started to wake up.
In many ways older cars were more user friendly.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I had to replace the handbrake module on my Santa Fe, the module from Hyundai was £900, labour was £400. I bought a new one from eBay, 5 year warranty for £300, and done it myself. The brake shoes after 90 k. Miles were hardly worn ,
I think the electronic hand break is fantastic.

Reactions: Bluetonic
Aug 12, 2023
Visit site
1. Electric handbrake a pain. Just to push the car a foot or two on the garage floor I must get the key, get in car, ignition on, foot on brake, electric brake off. Then put up with the siren as I get out to push the car. Also other Kia Sorento owners report overhaul cost £2,000. Manual handbrake service an easy DIY job.
2. Electric seats. Can’t move the seat quickly and easily, for an awkward load, or to take a rest.
Electric windows, can’t adjust them without ignition on. As well my Peugeot goes to economy mode after standing 10 mins, and all aforementioned require the engine started to wake up.
In many ways older cars were more user friendly.
Maybe you should drive car with manual windows in summer to remind you why we've moved on from them.

Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
Definitely won't try that stunt in any court of law, but technically when the engine is switched off, you are not longer driving or in control of the vehicle.
That may be true, but here the engine is not switched off, it’s just not running. Huge difference between the two states.
In one, you have to start the car and shift into gear before it will move. In the other, it may be as little as slipping your foot off the brake, and you will be moving again.

Mar 4, 2019
Visit site
I had to replace the handbrake module on my Santa Fe, the module from Hyundai was £900, labour was £400. I bought a new one from eBay, 5 year warranty for £300, and done it myself. The brake shoes after 90 k. Miles were hardly worn ,
I think the electronic hand break is fantastic.
That’s a better story than on Sorento forum. Good it can be DIY😊

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site

In fairness, moving a car without deactivating the parking brake was not in the design specification, actually the purpose of the parking brake, was the exact opposite. The manual parking brake, would also have needed to be deactivated.

That an electrical/electronic parking brake has a high failure rate and a high service cost, points strongly at an individual case of a "poor" design, not in itself a condemnation of the concept that other designers have executed well.

Last edited:
Reactions: stirlingwine
Jul 19, 2021
Visit site
I use the speed limiter on our Santa Fe, in certain "long speed restricted roads" as I know how easy it is for my speed to creep up just over the limit, It is amazing how much of a tail back I get behind me.
yep, I use that on my Santa Fe quite often, like you say, for long stretches of 50mph zone in motorway road works it is brilliant.

Jul 19, 2021
Visit site
Now that's an interesting question , I remember a car advert showing text messages being able to be received and sent from the car. Anyone had a car with that facility. ?
My SIL BMW has that feature, it can read out the text message to you, and you can then speak your reply.
Not something I'd use

Reactions: Hutch
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
yep, I use that on my Santa Fe quite often, like you say, for long stretches of 50mph zone in motorway road works it is brilliant.
I just use the basic cruise control for that, and the sometimes long stretches of variable speed limit on smart motorways - I don't have a speed limiter but it does have a user-set speed warning, just a single chime as I go through that speed when accelerating.

Reactions: Dustydog and JTQ
Jul 19, 2021
Visit site
I just use the basic cruise control for that, and the sometimes long stretches of variable speed limit on smart motorways - I don't have a speed limiter but it does have a user-set speed warning, just a single chime as I go through that speed when accelerating.
I used to do that but find that with the constant bunching of trafic and people pulling out in front of you this method is more reactive.
Might be a different story if I had radar cruise control, but unfortunately I don't

Reactions: Hutch
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I used to do that but find that with the constant bunching of trafic and people pulling out in front of you this method is more reactive.
Might be a different story if I had radar cruise control, but unfortunately I don't
Many people rate adaptive cruise very highly - personally I don't see the need and wouldn't pay extra for the complexity - and inability for some ACC systems to cope with the variable stance when towing without self-levelling suspension.

Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
My SIL BMW has that feature, it can read out the text message to you, and you can then speak your reply.
Not something I'd use
Siri via Apple car play will do that. As will Ok Google on android auto. When in car mode, (attached to a car via bluetooth) my phone automatically goes into "driving focus mode". It suppresses calls an txts, automaticaly responding with a "this person is driving and will respond later" message. For VIPs (a list you set), Siri will read the message, and allow you to dictate a reply as and when you are able to.
It's a brilliant feature and minimises distractions.

Reactions: otherclive
Aug 12, 2023
Visit site
Adaptive cruise control is brillant especially on motorways. Makes for relax driving in heavy traffic especially commuting. Still good on A and B class roads but you need somebody to follow that hopefully slows down for corners.

Difficult bit is trusting it at beginning but it doesn't take long. Not recommended when towing but I still use it with max distance setting.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
ACC agreed is a very effective tool - provided you are driving an automatic. If you are then ACC can slow you down to a stop and (on some models) start off again when the obstruction clears. If you are driving a manual you have to be awake enough to be able to drop the clutch before it stalls the engine!
The issue that I found (Passat Estate) was that sometimes a car passes you on a motorway on a bend, the radar sees it as an obstruction and drops the anchors. It happened that bit too often that I lost confidence in it. Now in Germany - where the thing is designed and made - a lot of their autobahns have long straight stretches and equally long or longer gentle curves, so the issue of miss-reading a passing vehicle as an obstruction very very rarely occurs.

Reactions: Dustydog

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
The issue that I found (Passat Estate) was that sometimes a car passes you on a motorway on a bend, the radar sees it as an obstruction and drops the anchors.

Agreed, the issue I have with ACC, great in single lane running but far from it in high density traffic multilane running, where vehicles can undertake if their lane is at that moment running faster than yours.
This also occurs where run offs allow a vehicle to speed off faster on your inside. Not only can this upset you but puts you at additional risk from the idiot running too close to your rear bumper.
I like it as a system but it has its place, the one described above is not it. There rudimentary cruise control suits me better, but that requires a steady state running road, failing that situation then the grey cells controlling the right foot better copes.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
That’s sad BB. How about the brake pedal. I’ve seen done where the brake can be worked by hand. May help
Having to consider all options as my needs change, both when driving and at home, just ordered riser /recliner chair it a electric powered armchair . All to maintain my independence and mobility.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts