Useless tech / equipment in cars

Page 4 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Having to consider all options as my needs change, both when driving and at home, just ordered riser /recliner chair it a electric powered armchair . All to maintain my independence and mobility.
Remember you can claim the VAT we did on a two riser recliners, we bought from HSL . You can't claim it on recliners only , but you can on riser recliners. You just sign a disclaimer on purchase.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I am not overly convinced stop star saves fuel in many cases where in "stop start" traffic hold ups, it's just too eager to intervene and can't yet see that three vehicles ahead are just starting to move.
My pet hate with its intervention [ assuming it's an ICE engine] is waiting to turn, like a right turn across traffic on a high density fast carriageway. There I believe it is more dangerous that without it.
As an engineer I don't like it on several counts, not least one more thing to fail.
Living and generally travelling in the countryside, I can in clear conscience switch it off knowing its real benefit is more in a traffic jammed urban environment.
My last Mazda did record the saving and it did add up. My only problem with it is when you are just about stopped and want to move off again it can have cut out the engine and it needs a bit more time to start again.
My daughter did at one time have to drive to work in the rush hour in constant stop start traffic and this did run down the battery to the point she had to switch the system off.
I cannot see that it could be regarded as an extra as it has to be part f the cars system and not fitting to some would probably cost more than fitting it to all cars. My feeling is that this will get to be part of the MOT at some point.
I have not seen text messages being available in the car, frankly that would be abused by drivers and is better not there.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
My last Mazda did record the saving and it did add up. My only problem with it is when you are just about stopped and want to move off again it can have cut out the engine and it needs a bit more time to start again.
My daughter did at one time have to drive to work in the rush hour in constant stop start traffic and this did run down the battery to the point she had to switch the system off.
I cannot see that it could be regarded as an extra as it has to be part f the cars system and not fitting to some would probably cost more than fitting it to all cars. My feeling is that this will get to be part of the MOT at some point.
I have not seen text messages being available in the car, frankly that would be abused by drivers and is better not there.
Cars that I have had with Stop-Start will switch the engine back on if the battery Management System senses there too much power draw, and the battery status requires it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bluetonic

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
I cannot see that it could be regarded as an extra as it has to be part f the cars system and not fitting to some would probably cost more than fitting it to all cars.

I am pretty sure its been a mandatary requirement for new purchase ICE cars, now for some years.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Agreed, the issue I have with ACC, great in single lane running but far from it in high density traffic multilane running, where vehicles can undertake if their lane is at that moment running faster than yours.
This also occurs where run offs allow a vehicle to speed off faster on your inside. Not only can this upset you but puts you at additional risk from the idiot running too close to your rear bumper.
I like it as a system but it has its place, the one described above is not it. There rudimentary cruise control suits me better, but that requires a steady state running road, failing that situation then the grey cells controlling the right foot better copes.
for sure the idiot coming round the bend on an A road today needed not only ACC but every imaginable warning. He was so busy texting that he did not realise that he had drifted across the road. He was that close that I would recognise his pimples anywhere! :rage:

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I am pretty sure its been a mandatary requirement for new purchase ICE cars, now for some years.
It's not mandatory as such but almost universal as it does improve the official fuel consumption and emissions test result - whether or not it improves real life emissions is another matter

Reactions: GUMPY
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
What makes you think it won't?
Generally thinking "It's there so I'll use it" brigade.
How many are still using a hand held for calls and texting while driving?
Still does not answer my question of how the text system can be abused in a car as it can be abused anywhere? The text system is voice controlled so does nto require any input.

By the way I think that swear words are not allowed on this forum?

Aug 12, 2023
Visit site
It's not mandatory as such but almost universal as it does improve the official fuel consumption and emissions test result - whether or not it improves real life emissions is another matter
There is significant emissions reduction as engines aren't optimized for clean burning at idle. When most of vehicles in traffic jam have engines turned off it makes a huge difference to local air quality. We are long way from that but between SS, hybrids and EVs the emissions are dropping for given number of vehicles especially compared to few years ago.

Reactions: Tobes
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
There is significant emissions reduction as engines aren't optimized for clean burning at idle. When most of vehicles in traffic jam have engines turned off it makes a huge difference to local air quality. We are long way from that but between SS, hybrids and EVs the emissions are dropping for given number of vehicles especially compared to few years ago.
Some studies show that urban emissions haven't improved sinced the introduction of Euro 6 and ULEZ/LEZs - when they would have expected significant improvement.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Last night I heard a Volvo advert extolling the virtues of a pixelated display. What the heck is that? Sounds like an artist from the Red Lion😜😜

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Some studies show that urban emissions haven't improved sinced the introduction of Euro 6 and ULEZ/LEZs - when they would have expected significant improvement.
But that means some other studies have shown air quality improvements. There must be other contributing factors which may have increased pollution offsetting any savings made with vehicle emissions.

Just think how much more the pollution would be if vehicles had not improved.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I would have thought that when any engine starts, in that second or two as you are depressing the accelerator, It emits more noxious gas than if it had been running in idle and then accelerating, but then I am not a mechanic?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I would have thought that when any engine starts, in that second or two as you are depressing the accelerator, It emits more noxious gas than if it had been running in idle and then accelerating, but then I am not a mechanic?
That would depend on how long you have been stationary.

But apart from the perspective of pollution, there is the point about the amount of energy you are wasting if your stationary with the engine running. Even at idle most ICE vehicles will be wasting at least 70% if not more of the energy of the fuel used to keep the engine running at idle.

Over time the cumulative amount of fuel wasted add up. And of course it will be more for those who drive in high congestion areas. And for diesels with particulate filters, idling is one of the most likely causes of premature failure of filters.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
A diesel at idle uses very little fuel as unlike a spark ignition cycle it does not require a pot full of stochiometric mixture, just enough locally to the nozzle(s) to create a burn.
But as the supermarket jingle goes "every little helps", here in this valid environmental protection battle.
Plus, some examples of diesels are awful polluters at idle, too frequently finding their way into buses! [why are these not using stop start?]

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Either way I feel that I have more control over my vehicle with the Stop / Start switched off. One of the very few places we encountered a queue with a long wait is leaving the local hospital at about 4pm as it can take up to an hour or more to leave the hospital although the distance is less than a mile!

Problem is that even if the Stop / Start was operating as you are only moving one car at a time every couple of minutes, it probably would not be very effective whether diesel or petrol.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
But that means some other studies have shown air quality improvements. There must be other contributing factors which may have increased pollution offsetting any savings made with vehicle emissions.

Just think how much more the pollution would be if vehicles had not improved.
Although each car maker will know, we don't know how much car emissions actually improve from one Euro level to the next - we know the limits for some things are reduced but we don't know how close cars were to the previous limit.

For instance, the limits for Euro 7 diesels will remain the same as Euro 6 for CO, THC, NMHC, and PM, reduced by 25% for NOx with new limits added for NH3 and Brake PM - but we simply don't know what the emissions of existing Euro 6 diesels were for NH3 and Brake PM so we don't know if we'll actually see any improvement from Euro 7.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Remember you can claim the VAT we did on a two riser recliners, we bought from HSL . You can't claim it on recliners only , but you can on riser recliners. You just sign a disclaimer on purchase.
We brought it from a sofa place including a 3 Seater and they gave us a 25% Boxing day deal so very happy with the discount it save us £300 of the price so we left a deposit and it free delivery and install but if i buy another i made a note thanks for your help in this matter (y)

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Engines have moved on so far since those dark days. Stop Start will have the engine running almost instantly.

As an example, When I bought the Volvo V70 it was my first with S/S. I worried about the delay. They told me that the engine would be running and ready in the time it took to move my foot from the brake to the accelorstor.

No need to do a Brumm Brumm, And not a good idea in an auto.

Either way I feel that I have more control over my vehicle with the Stop / Start switched off. One of the very few places we encountered a queue with a long wait is leaving the local hospital at about 4pm as it can take up to an hour or more to leave the hospital although the distance is less than a mile!

Problem is that even if the Stop / Start was operating as you are only moving one car at a time every couple of minutes, it probably would not be very effective whether diesel or petrol.
The S/S in a decent car will protect other functions, battery, heating aircon, etc. And only operate if it is viable. Should be no problem in traffic.

As you describe S/S does not comply with my experiance. Perhaps some cars do it better.

John

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
When I got a newish car last year - just an updated version of the Qashqai I'd had - I did my best to get one with the lowest amount of driving aids I could. I admit I'm a control freak but some of the additional features ' to enhance my driving experience' have proved I'm right.

Last night in the drive home - dark and drizzling - the Auto Sensing Wipers were hopeless and I did a better job manually. I wish it would just have the intermittent wiper settings of varying times. Also the Auto Dipping Headlights - not quite so bad but never go on or off as I would do it. One problem is with dipping. Coming to sections of the road, usually bends, which have highly reflective red markers, the system thought it was a car in front so dipped the beams just a I need them to see the bend. It does similar with highly relective white signs.

These reflective signs, particularly the black and white chevrons can also cause the Collision Avoidance system to think we're going to run into something, especially on a sunny day. Just a warning thankfully and not the full brakes on.

The Auto Stop/Start I find is good but I suspect being a manual car - and I think a lot of folks here have auto - its a little more controllable. As long as I keep the clutch pedal down the engine keeps running. So for instance if I was to come to a stop at a roundabout, holding it in gear with clutch down the engines running for a quick get away. It tells me how much CO2 I've saved the planet but its a meaningless number in the scheme of things.

I leave it permanently engaged but will switch it off if stuck in a traffice queue on the motorway for example, which is stop/start every few seconds.

The Auto Dimming Mirror is great.

A useful feature is the Chassis Control System that includes Active Trace Control, Active Engine Brake and Active Ride Control. While these systems are hopefully beneficial the useless feature is that I can have a display on the dash indicating that these are working - e.g. what wheels are being braked and how well we're going around a corner. So, I can look at this to see how great it is but then can't see where I'm going at the same time and could potentially go off the road. Fortunately I can turn it off - which I did.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I’m puzzled as to the number of posts where the driver keeps foot on the brake for S-S and it then restarts when the foot moves from the brake to the throttle. Mine with Autohold allows me to remove my foot from the brake and it restarts when I touch the throttle.

Wrt restarts using more fuel than idle, the injected mixture is lean for the restart and the minimum to restart the engine. Once restarted the mixture goes back to normal.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
It would seem that the S-S system is obviously different between Manual and Auto but also the inclusion of Auto Hold could add another dimension. This may or may not be engaged depending on the user setting and car.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts