Useless tech / equipment in cars

Page 9 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
I generally like, at least our VW's 2013 take on "Auto dipping headlights". I am limited to experience of just that example, not to other brands, or other versions.

Yes, it's a tad slow in both up and down and can't always tell the difference between a high intensity light from sources other than an oncoming vehicle. Not that I am totally infallible in that either.

The biggest issue, if that, though, is it seems not to like country lanes, our environment, the closed in hedges. Here it seems only to want to stay dipped?
It works totally differently come more open roads with verges etc, where the view is not similarly hemmed in.
Therefore, I use "manual" where it struggles but "auto" where it is IMO a nice feature to have, miss it driving the Disco.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2019
Visit site
I generally like, at least our VW's 2013 take on "Auto dipping headlights". I am limited to experience of just that example, not to other brands, or other versions.

Yes, it's a tad slow in both up and down and can't always tell the difference between a high intensity light from sources other than an oncoming vehicle. Not that I am totally infallible in that either.

The biggest issue, if that, though, is it seems not to like country lanes, our environment, the closed in hedges. Here it seems only to want to stay dipped?
It works totally differently come more open roads with verges etc, where the view is not similarly hemmed in.
Therefore, I use "manual" where it struggles but "auto" where it is IMO a nice feature to have, miss it driving the Disco.
Agreed with country lanes. And once I manually go to high beam I need to remember to go lo again to reset or the next car I meet endures my hi

Reactions: otherclive
Sep 26, 2018
Visit site
"Intelligent Lighting" is fantastic. It took a while to get used to it, but whenheadlights approach, the"full beam" area gets a "blacked out" area to not dazzle the oncoming driver, but you retain the illumination down the road on either side of that area...

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Went for drinks with neighbours on Saturday evening and I mentioned that I liked the new Peugeot coupe car, and he told me it had a washer jet for the reversing camera. How did I manage with a Squeezy bottle on my first minivan?

• Haha
Reactions: Buckman
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
When the "Infotainment"system "Froze " on our Santa Fe, I was flustered for a while, , SatNav stuck, On the M4 and couldn't reach the map book. But worst thing the radio was frozen on radio 2, and Jeremy Vine was coming on at 12:00. :eek::eek::eek: and then the reversing camera was stuck when I got home.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site

Surprisingly our current and previous Jeep I could not fault the auto lighting system for dip and bright except for ti dipping when coming across some road signs. However I very seldom travel at night now.

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
An archive photo of British Leyland's salt-water immersion process to ensure that all cars rotted away by 7 years old.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts