Useless tech / equipment in cars

Page 8 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Aug 24, 2020
Visit site
On the Citroen you set the temperature you want, and it does heating or cooling as required to achieve that.

On the Vauxhall I wear a coat or open the window.

• Haha
Reactions: Hutch

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Is that not what "climate control" does?
You set the temperatures you like for driving, and the front seat passenger individually like, say in wintertime and the AC system goes about achieving that, putting the cooling or heating and blower systems into "overdrive" to get you there ASAP and then settle down to maintain it, irrespective of the ambient.
The only gripe, not from me, but "we" have, is on leaving home etc the fan is so noisy for a while that the radio can't be heard.
The end result is set and forget, at least season for season, whereas with basic systems you make and set the controls, and have to reset them intill there is a steady state situation, though that can change if the ambient does; IMO involvement that technology can readily take on.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dustydog
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
You set the temperatures you like for driving, and the front seat passenger individually like, say in wintertime and the AC system goes about achieving that, putting the cooling or heating and blower systems into "overdrive" to get you there ASAP and then settle down to maintain it, irrespective of the ambient.
The only gripe, not from me, but "we" have, is on leaving home etc the fan is so noisy for a while that the radio can't be heard.
The end result is set and forget, at least season for season, whereas with basic systems you make and set the controls, and have to reset them intill there is a steady state situation, though that can change if the ambient does; IMO involvement that technology can readily take on.
Climate control is more than just automatic temperature adjustment - it will also control the humidity, the distribution of the air within the car and the air re-circulation/ fresh air depending on air quality.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Climate control is more than just automatic temperature adjustment - it will also control the humidity, the distribution of the air within the car and the air re-circulation/ fresh air depending on air quality.

Yes, all tasks that if not done for you in the background you either forgo or attempt to fiddle about achieving; the hassle with my wife's Golf I don't like.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Yes, all tasks that if not done for you in the background you either forgo or attempt to fiddle about achieving; the hassle with my wife's Golf I don't like.
I have had a few cars now with AC and really cannot call it a hassle to control. In one of our current cars if it’s a cold day or rainy the vent gets put to screen, ac switched on, fan switched on to a higher setting than normal, heater to hot. When everything has stabilised fan turned down, vents to face and floor, aircon left on. What’s the hassle? It’s not that long ago that many would have given their all just to have aircon in a car.
Even in the other car with ACC I switch the mode to screen, or screen plus floor if deemed necessary and you get fan noise as it all ramps up.

Have we lost our resilience such that we even find AC a hassle? :eek::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Buckman
Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
One of the problems (for me at least) is that not that many years ago you could sit down with the manual and teach yourself which controls do what. My manual now is on the touch-screen and it's one of those manuals that gives more of an overview rather than an in-depth how-to, sort of relying on the user knowing what they're doing before-hand.

I'm convinced my Volvo has lots of "stuff" that I simply haven't discovered! The drivers-profile bit is one area that I simply haven't explored, apparently it saves my own driving style and adjusts characteristics of the car to suit my sedate approach to driving. I love cars and I like technology, but sometimes it just seems like there's either too much of it or I don't have enough brains/patience to understand it!!! :ROFLMAO:

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I'm convinced my Volvo has lots of "stuff" that I simply haven't discovered! The drivers-profile bit is one area that I simply haven't explored, apparently it saves my own driving style and adjusts characteristics of the car to suit my sedate approach to driving. I love cars and I like technology, but sometimes it just seems like there's either too much of it or I don't have enough brains/patience to understand it!!! :ROFLMAO:
Only yesterday I was informed that our Jeep had a deadlock system that cannot be disabled. Apparently it deadlocks when locking up the vehicle and not when driving. Not too sure about the deadlock?

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
Only yesterday I was informed that our Jeep had a deadlock system that cannot be disabled. Apparently it deadlocks when locking up the vehicle and not when driving. Not too sure about the deadlock?
I had a 2016 BMW520D and while we were away on holiday we went to a supermarket in Brighton. My wife and daughter stayed in the car while I went into the store and out of habit I locked and deadlocked the car on leaving. It was impossible for them to open the doors from within and they ended up phoning me in a bit of a panic as they'd set the alarm off through moving inside but couldn't get out. It was in the manual about this but (typically) I hadn't bothered reading anything on the locking system as that was one of the easy bits of the car to understand (or so I thought....).

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Isn't the locking and deadlock system, where you lock the car by the remote key fob, but if you use the key to open the doors, the engine is still immobilised.
Or is it something else new.

Mar 3, 2022
Visit site
The idea that you can effectively set different temperatures for driver and front seat passengers is laughable.
How far apart are you sitting? Different temperatures at a couple of feet, at most, apart.
Just can't see that working somehow.

Mar 3, 2022
Visit site
Isn't the locking and deadlock system, where you lock the car by the remote key fob, but if you use the key to open the doors, the engine is still immobilised.
On our old Volvo you locked on the fob and after a couple of minutes the deadlocks would click in.
Supposed to allow you to lock the car and still have access to the filler for refuelling.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
The idea that you can effectively set different temperatures for driver and front seat passengers is laughable.
How far apart are you sitting? Different temperatures at a couple of feet, at most, apart.
It does work, and quite efficiently as well,. At least on Our last 5 cars. 2 Santa fe's and 3 Vectra.'s

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
I don’t know to be honest, I do know it caused a bit of a panic though! I believed that even when deadlocked there’d still be some sort of emergency release inside but there wasn’t (other than breaking a window!)

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Deadlocking, or as VW interpret it in our vehicle as "Safelock", seems just to disable the use of the internal handles; helps mitigate theft via a pull band/wire pushed through the door seals for example.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Just tried it in my Santa Fe, sat inside it and locked the car, 30 seconds later another little click , and I am stuck, NO handles working to get out.
I did take my phone with me incase I couldn't unlock it with the remote. So I could call the wife.
Every day is a school day.

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
I did take my phone with me incase I couldn't unlock it with the remote. So I could call the wife.
Also handy to do that if you go up on your garage roof to check for a leak and accidentally knock the ladder over while up there. I have the T-shirt on that one...........

Reactions: Jcloughie
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You may not believe it but it does work reasonably well in my VAG Passat. When there is no passenger, it disables the footwell and cabin heating on that side whilst maintaining a controlled temperature around the driver.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Just tried it in my Santa Fe, sat inside it and locked the car, 30 seconds later another little click , and I am stuck, NO handles working to get out.
Every day is a school day.
I spent ages when the car wouldn’t lock either by its keyless facility, by using the fob or even the mobile Kia app. I got back in, restarted the engine, switched off and got out. But no joy it wouldn’t lock. Then I realised my wife had left her handbag in the footwell. The presence of the spare car key was preventing me from locking the car.

Reactions: JTQ
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I once locked the car, did a bit of shopping and on my return realised I had left the engine running. Diesel engine noise is so well insulated that when the car is idling you cannot hear it above local traffic noise and the wife can hear a penny drop a mile away! I blame her! LOL!

Aug 24, 2020
Visit site
You may not believe it but it does work reasonably well in my VAG Passat. When there is no passenger, it disables the footwell and cabin heating on that side whilst maintaining a controlled temperature around the driver.
On the Citroen too, although it does recommend in the user manual that there shouldn't be more than a couple of degrees difference in the settings between the two sides. I guess if Mrs Gozza set her side to "tropical" and mine was "arctic", (a likely combination), we could end up with a weather front down the middle of the car and a thunderstorm over the coffee cup holder. Which wouldn't be good.

Aug 12, 2023
Visit site
I like having deadlock. Good for keeping large items like bikes safe that can't be removed via broken window. To search car thief need to enter and exit via broken window.

Aug 12, 2023
Visit site
Also handy to do that if you go up on your garage roof to check for a leak and accidentally knock the ladder over while up there. I have the T-shirt on that one...........
Reminds me of story about guy working on roof. Wife insisted he wear safety rope, which he tied to cars towbar. While working on roof wife decided to go shopping, he survived but spent bit time in hospital.

• Haha
Reactions: GaryB
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I read of an issue on another forum where cars equipped with speed limit recognition are wrongly reading the speed limit applicable to HGVs - in England & Wales the NSL for HGVs on single carriageways was increased from 40 to 50 mph some years ago but remainded at 40 mph in Scotland - for the last 9 years there has been a trial on the A9 between Perth and Inverness where the HGV limit is increased from 40 to 50, and signed with 50 in a red roundel with an image of a truck next to it - some cars equipped with speed limit recognition are wrongly reading that as applying to them and travelling at 50 when their limit is 60.

Does anyone know how such cars cope in France where there are signs showing the reduced 110 km/hr limit with an image of rain/cloud as well as a sign showing the normal 130 km/hr limit ?

Mar 4, 2019
Visit site
Time to add to my tech complaints, auto high beam. 1. Dims when it shouldn’t, typically caused by a single street light or other light source outside built up area. 2. Doesn’t anticipate the imminent arrival of an oncoming vehicle concealed by a crest or other road feature, and dim before the vehicle comes into view. 3. Won’t dim for an oncoming HGV until main beam lights come into view. Doesn’t recognise the roof clearance lights. Really bad on our freeways when the oncoming vehicle’s main beam lights never come into view because they are hidden behind the divided road crash barrier. Very annoying for truck drivers.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts