Useless tech / equipment in cars

Page 7 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
The Prof’s ACC appears to be intelligent. He can programme the distance from the car in front. So using it whilst towing shouldn’t be a problem. Your distance from the car in front should be more than sufficient to enable a safe stop in an emergency whether towing or not, unless you are a tail hugger🤪. So is the Vitara a tail hugger?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
From Vitara manual's towing section
"For vehicles equipped with the dual sensor brake support system turn it OFF when towing. Do not use ACC, If not unexpected accidents related to the system being turned on may occur"

There is towing mode which will disable these systems.
Not having previously heard of "dual sensor brake support systems" I looked it up, and why it can't be used when towing. The first thing that came to light was a reference to Suzuki models with dual sensor brake support systems. I found no other reference to any other make, though perhaps they might call it something else.

The second point specifically relating to towing was from New Zealand. And the description did not make any sense in the context of UK caravans, becasue it was discussing electric trailer brakes. Apparently with some electrically operated braking systems, the trailer brakes are only applied if the brake lights are illuminated. The problem might arise when descending long hills, where the car might be applying engine braking, but becasue the brake lights are not illuminated the trailer does not apply any braking, transferring all the braking effect to the car.

If you re read my opening sentence, I specifically limited my answer to vehicles sold in Europe and the UK, where electric trailer braking is not used .

The use of overrun braking removes the dependance on the brake lights being operated to cause the trailer to brake, so given a long hill descent the caravans brakes would apply as necessary.

Aug 12, 2023
Visit site
Not having previously heard of "dual sensor brake support systems" I looked it up, and why it can't be used when towing. The first thing that came to light was a reference to Suzuki models with dual sensor brake support systems. I found no other reference to any other make, though perhaps they might call it something else.

The second point specifically relating to towing was from New Zealand. And the description did not make any sense in the context of UK caravans, becasue it was discussing electric trailer brakes. Apparently with some electrically operated braking systems, the trailer brakes are only applied if the brake lights are illuminated. The problem might arise when descending long hills, where the car might be applying engine braking, but becasue the brake lights are not illuminated the trailer does not apply any braking, transferring all the braking effect to the car.

If you re read my opening sentence, I specifically limited my answer to vehicles sold in Europe and the UK, where electric trailer braking is not used .

The use of overrun braking removes the dependance on the brake lights being operated to cause the trailer to brake, so given a long hill descent the caravans brakes would apply as necessary.
I think dual sensor brakes is collision aviodance and ESP systems, nothing to do with towing.

Only find electric brakes on larger rigs typically >2000kg eg Australian caravans. Not something Vitara will ever be towing. Most trailers here use hydraulic or cable(UK caravans) activated brakes driven by pressure on drawbar.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I think dual sensor brakes is collision aviodance and ESP systems, nothing to do with towing.

Only find electric brakes on larger rigs typically >2000kg eg Australian caravans. Not something Vitara will ever be towing. Most trailers here use hydraulic or cable(UK caravans) activated brakes driven by pressure on drawbar.
I'm not clear why you have posted this? You introduced the point in question in #150, so are you are now saying it's nothing to do with towing?

I disagree with your post that neither collision avoidance or ESP has nothing to do with towing, both are features which monitor the vehicles behaviour and if turned on may intervene if some criteria are exceeding its programmed limits. Towing does change a vehicles dynamics, and that may affect the way these systems operate, but certainly here in Europe, the vehicle manufacturer has to carry out certain prescribed testing to homologate a design for type approval before it can be sold so such interactions should be managed by the systems.

I wonder if the reference to it by Suzuki in the New Zealand is a regional issue?

Can any Vitara owners verify if models sold in the UK and EU carry the same warning about not using Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC ) when towing?

So far no one else has reported to any specific reference to not use ACC or even earlier versions of CC when towing from manufacturers or the authorities. All this proves is that no one else has posted not that they don't exist, but bearing in mind previous similar questions and the responses, it's beginning to look like not many manufacturers or authorities have such stipulations.

However, for ACC to function correctly it will only work with a vehicle that has an automatic gearbox, and auto braking, otherwise in a manual vehicle it might find having slowed down it's in the wrong gear to re accelerate.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The Prof’s ACC appears to be intelligent. He can programme the distance from the car in front. So using it whilst towing shouldn’t be a problem. Your distance from the car in front should be more than sufficient to enable a safe stop in an emergency whether towing or not, unless you are a tail hugger🤪. So is the Vitara a tail hugger?
Oh No ... it's not intelligent, it allows me to program it - that makes it a computer which be definition is dumb as it only responds in accordance to a set of instructions.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Oh No ... it's not intelligent, it allows me to program it - that makes it a computer which be definition is dumb as it only responds in accordance to a set of instructions.
The "adaptive" in adaptive cruise control (ACC) implies a level of intelligence, albeit a low level - but it is a step on the road to autonomous vehicles.

Reactions: GaryB and Dustydog
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The "adaptive" in adaptive cruise control (ACC) implies a level of intelligence, albeit a low level - but it is a step on the road to autonomous vehicles.
Ah...I think my favourite marble must be adaptive then because it always rolls down hill no matter which way the room slopes.....

Reactions: Jcloughie

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Climate control, unlike basic air conditioning though, should be "set and forget".
Though in a "pool car" I accept we all have could have our own preferred "climate".

It is a mistake we, though that's probably "I" made in the build specification of my wife's Golf. We, did not pick up even in an upmarket "Special Equipment" version they had quietly dropped out Climate for a basic system, whereas we never had other than climate previously. My view is it was a big mistake, not only on my part but VW UK's, cheapening where they should not have and with it, at least in our "eyes", the brand image.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Climate control, unlike basic air conditioning though, should be "set and forget".
Though in a "pool car" I accept we all have could have our own preferred "climate".

It is a mistake we, though that's probably "I" made in the build specification of my wife's Golf. We, did not pick up even in an upmarket "Special Equipment" version they had quietly dropped out Climate for a basic system, whereas we never had other than climate previously. My view is it was a big mistake, not only on my part but VW UK's, cheapening where they should not have and with it, at least in our "eyes", the brand image.
"Special Equipment" has meant low equipment level on cars for decades - I deliberately started with the SE version of the Touareg and then loaded with just the options I wanted.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site

One of our cars has ACC and whilst it is normally set in 20 degC periodically I wind the temp to max and then after a few minutes down to minimum. It “exercises” the control valves. The other car has just aircon but it’s really not a hassle to adjust as it’s not something you are doing every five minutes. Even with AC I “exercise” it over its max to min range periodically.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
"Special Equipment" has meant low equipment level on cars for decades - I deliberately started with the SE version of the Touareg and then loaded with just the options I wanted.
Well, we did, but missed that particular "trick", as at that time it had been dropped out of the base SE build even within the cold weather pack.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I have to, and that's the issue, though much easier than it would be with a touch screen and my "dithering digits".
Fortunately my Essential Tremor only affects my right hand but last night heading back from Wales I went to switch on Lane Control but inadvertently switched off ESP. The switches are low down and obscured by the steering wheel.☹️

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
One of work cars has climate control built into touch screen. I didn't like, to much time taking eyes off road to navigate it. Would be on my NOT buy list next time around.
I can understand the desire of car makers to wish to drive cost out of vehicles to maintain profits, and one way is to get rid of as many switches as possible. but there are some who have taken it to an extreme, and it does have safety concerns.

One manufacturer has now removed all steering column stalks, which has meant putting the turn indicators onto the steering wheel, so their location changes as you turn the wheel. As one journalist has pointed out, if you are using a staggered junction, you now have to think about the wheel position to be able to trigger the correct indicator for the second turn as the steering wheel might be well out of position. A similar thing can arise whilst negotiating a traffic island, and needing to indicate before making a lane change for an exit.

Where as in older cars the driver would learn where physical controls would be, and they could often feel when they had thr correct one, with touch screens there is no identifiable feel to a control, and with some systems the position of the control on the screen can change, so you have to divert your eyes off the road to look at the screen. It can take a few seconds to refocus and take in what the screen is telling you, it might be the wrong screen, so you then have expend time to work out what you need to do to get the correct screen up.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
On my new car it does not have climate control just air con but it very easily to control just touch the touchscreen to your desired position so far it works great

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
In our car we have the choice of air con or climate control. The 1996 Corolla has plain simple manual air con and it still works efficiently.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
In our car we have the choice of air con or climate control. The 1996 Corolla has plain simple manual air con and it still works efficiently.
My last car the Tiguan was top of the range it came with air or climate control and it was nice but on my new car it would depend which model i went for .

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thats a strange combination to have. Mine has ACC but I can turn the aircon off, and it just automatically controls to the set temperature using ambient air by adjusting the air flow rate, but it cannot get below the ambient temperature.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
On my Santa Fe the climate control is automatic and separate temp control for driver and passenger. When I switch it manual the Air-conditioning goes off.
I just leave it in climate control auto as this keeps the air drier, and in winter there is less risk of condensation, when you hit a misty stretch of road.

Reactions: Dustydog
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
On my Santa Fe the climate control is automatic and separate temp control for driver and passenger. When I switch it manual the Air-conditioning goes off.
I just leave it in climate control auto as this keeps the air drier, and in winter there is less risk of condensation, when you hit a misty stretch of road.
In the Jeep if you switch off the CC, you operate it manually like a normal air con. You can adjust temperature and also the fan. However I leave it on CC

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
In the Jeep if you switch off the CC, you operate it manually like a normal air con. You can adjust temperature and also the fan. However I leave it on CC
Are you sure that it is operating as an Aircon, and not just a heater. Do you have an Aircon light, to say the A/C is operating. It sounds the same as mine.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Are you sure that it is operating as an Aircon, and not just a heater. Do you have an Aircon light, to say the A/C is operating. It sounds the same as mine.
Maybe I have misunderstood the controls as easy to do. On the Jeep you set it up like a normal aircon with heating and cooling and it does that for both sides. However if you switch to "Auto" then you can regulate each side and it switches on and off to maintain a specific temperature. As I always have it on Auto, maybe I have got it wrong?

Reactions: Hutch

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts