Van over winter

Sep 28, 2019
Visit site
Hi guys
Its our last trip next weekend on our current site before we move the van to a new site for winter storage and a new season next year, as it's been our first season this year with a van, what do we need to do to.prepare the van for winter many thanks Mr &Mrs H

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
We just drain down the water, then try and get out again between hospital and dental appointments over the winter. No reason to not getaway all year round.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Give it good wash with Fenwicks caravan cleaner. Then use Fenwicks Overwintering fluid. It does s good job of reducing black streaks and aids the spring clean up. Inside a thorough clean but don’t use Pledge or similar on units it starts mould. If you can’t take soft furnishings indoors then I lift them and open all cupboards and lockers to allow better air circulation. Don’t close blinds rather close curtains. Remove battery to keep at home and charged. Or if stored where there is power keep battery charged using intelligent charger.

Pressurise tyres to max allowed on sidewall. Reduce when leaving site in spring. Don’t leave handbrake on.

Drain water heater and domestic system and leave taps in open position half hot half cold. Drain flush tank and pump flush water system or I had some windscreen wash. Empty Thetford and give good clean out.

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
Its also recommended to leave taps open; in the centre if they are mixer taps. I also unscrew the shower hose as it collects loads of water. Moisture traps or a dehumidifier seems to be a waste of time due to all the fixed ventilation.

With regards to curtains - I have two windows without curtains, just the roller blinds. Someone on YouTube with the same Sprite, went to the trouble of fitting a new curtain rail over the bedroom window. I've just cut a sheet of cardboard to size which fits in the blind runner.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
The above are all good, but do not neglect the tyres. If the caravan is stand over winter, try and move it at least quarter or the tyres circumference every month, but do not let it stand more than three months at the most to avoid damage to the side walls. After winter check the tyres for cracking as standing does them no good.
If on a storage site a run round the site a couple of times will help.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Apart from the good advice already offere, most especially about internal water system drainage, another little tip is to park up your caravan nose down as far as you can.
This will enable any snow or retained rainwater to run straight off the caravan roof during storage.
Remove all traces of foodstuffs, toilet paper and paper kitchen towel to minimise the risk of mice or shrew infestations.

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
It's a good idea to pump flush the water system I normally get about a litre and a half of water out of the system , quite simple to do takes me about 15 minutes,

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
camel said:
It's a good idea to pump flush the water system I normally get about a litre and a half of water out of the system , quite simple to do takes me about 15 minutes,

Yes we do that after a winter trip out, just in case of a freeze. Made my own to blow through the system. So no water left in any little catch points. Or at least very little.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts