Vauxhall 2.2 LS Est.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi all, I have the petrol version of the above and I have to say it is a reasonable tow car, even if it gulps the juice. However, I read recently that you can expect problems as the miles rack up as the service interval is too far apart at 20,000 miles. The journalist was replying to a reader whose car had covered 60,000 miles and the implication was that another 2 years at 20,000 a year would see it shot. He suggested that there should be an oil change every 10,000 miles at least. I have had my car at the recommended service intervals but i have a sneaking suspicion that he is right. I'd be particularly interested what fellow motorists think. Lutz...help!

Best Wishes, George T.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I've always changed engine oil and filter more frequently than recommended by vehicle manufacturers, despite always using top quality oil. When Vauxhalls had 10,000 mile changes (up to July 2000) I changed oil / filter at 5,000. Now they recommend 20,000 I change at 6,666. I use Mobil 1 which isn't cheap at

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
George, I personally think that 2 years is along time between service intervals - a lot can happen in that time. You would have to know, for example, that the brake pads etc would last for 20,000 miles after the service and that the anti freeze would be good for maybe 2 winters. You would be getting an MOT in between but thats not servicing. If you are doing a lot of towing I suspect that Vauxhall call that 'arduous use' and recommmend that servicing is annual - Honda certainly do.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
George, having just rebuilt a Vauxhall engine after cam belt failure I would certainly NOT stick to Vauxhall service times, and will reduce servicing to the following, after seeking help and advice from other Vauxhall enthusiasts.

oil change every 10,000 miles unless doing a lot of short journeys or a lot of towing, in which case it will be reduced changing at 5000 miles. IMO anything more than 10000 miles is putting too much strain in the ability of the oil to do the job it has to do, even with todays advanced oils.

Oil filter change every 10.000miles, Cam Belt change every 40,000 miles complete with tensioners and rollers.

When the cam belt broke on the engine I have rebuilt, it caused 14 of the 16 valves to be bent and over

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I haven't really got much to add to what the others have already said. Obviously, you're asking more of the engine if you're doing a lot of towing, so shortening the oil change interval is a good precaution. Durabilitywise, the 2.2 petrol doesn't have a particularly bad reputation, though.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for the info guys. I certainly will get the oil changed more often even if it means every 6 months as I now do close on 20,000 a year. I just had my car serviced by the AA at Halfords and have to say that

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I dont know about the old shape vectra but the new ones have a sensor in the engine that can detect when the oil needs changing, so if the oil is dirty before its recomended service interval then it tells you on a dashboard light.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts