Vauxhall Zafira 1.8i (2001)1

Jun 1, 2005
Visit site
Have just been to my local Bailey / Avondale dealer to look at some used vans.

As budding 'first timers' (see posting under 'General' and thanks to klarky for the facts and figures), we ascertained that the Zafira, with a kerbweight of 1395Kg can safely tow 1191Kg (applying 85% rule).

Looking at the vans available on site, some manufacturers use different terminology when giving unladen and payload weights and it's all getting rather confusing!

Is the 1191Kg THE MAXIMUM I should be pulling as first timers if so it seems to drastically limit my choice of van.

Does anyone know of a publication or website that lists older (5 - 10 yrs) vans weights and payloads to enable me to sort the wheat from the chaff?

Also, will it make a difference to the car / caravan's weight ratio, carrying 5 passengers and a full roofbox.

Apologies for being soooooooo green on these issues.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I think you'll find that the maximum permissible towload for the 1.8i is 1300kg (1200kg for the automatic). The 1100kg figure that you are referring to, Roy, is for the 1.6i.

Just to complete the picture, the 1300kg towload means that the maximum permissible weight of the caravan (MTPLM) must not exceed 1375kg (1300 + noseweight).

Jun 1, 2005
Visit site
I think you'll find that the maximum permissible towload for the 1.8i is 1300kg (1200kg for the automatic). The 1100kg figure that you are referring to, Roy, is for the 1.6i.

Just to complete the picture, the 1300kg towload means that the maximum permissible weight of the caravan (MTPLM) must not exceed 1375kg (1300 + noseweight).
Thanks both for the replies.

I thought that the kerbweight for my vehicle was only 1340Kg.

If not, and I can tow up to 1375Kg, it would certainly widen my options as far as the first van purchase goes. Looking at this months PC at 'new' MTPLM, I would be limited to only basic two berth models or at a (financial) push one of the basic 4 berth Baileys.

The figures I mentioned in my original posting came from Continental Caravans at Gorseinon, Swansea.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
As far as I have been able ascertain, the kerbweight of your Zafira is around 1390kg (you quote 1395kg in your original question and 1340kg in your last comment but the difference is not going to make an awful lot of difference). However, if you passed your driving test after the 1st January 1997 you'd better check to make sure exactly, because, in that case, you may not tow more than the unladen weight of the Zafira unless you passed a B+E test. In other words, if the Zafira does actually only weigh 1340kg, then you may only tow a maximum of 1340kg, regardless of the manufacturer's spec which would otherwise allow 1375kg. (I know it's a bit complicated but I hope you understand).

Of course, if you do decide to make full use of the possible limit and tow a caravan with an MTPLM of 1375kg, you should be aware that this, based on a kerbweight figure for the Zafira of 1390kg, will correspond to a 99% ratio, which is significantly over the 85% recommendation but still legal. This means that, as a novice, you will have to exercise more than usual care to ensure that you are driving safely. However, it is a possible, albeit not ideal, option if you don't want to sell the car and smaller caravans do not fulfil your needs.

Jun 1, 2005
Visit site
Thanks Lutz.

Complicated...yes, but now a lot clearer.

I have seen a few manufacturers older models quoting MAW.... is this the same as MTPLM?

Can other readers recommend vans to be on the lookout for which will come in at no more than 1200 MAW / MTPLM (2 or 4 berth).

Any details would be appreciated.

Thanks!!!!!!

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Thanks Lutz.

Complicated...yes, but now a lot clearer.

I have seen a few manufacturers older models quoting MAW.... is this the same as MTPLM?

Can other readers recommend vans to be on the lookout for which will come in at no more than 1200 MAW / MTPLM (2 or 4 berth).

Any details would be appreciated.

Thanks!!!!!!
The differences between MAW and MTPLM are really only of acedemic importance. MAW is the legal term and MTPLM the technical one. It is possible, that the MAW is less than the MTPLM because traffic laws may restrict loads below what the vehicle manufacturer deems technically allowable but this would be a really exceptional case and unlikely to apply in the case of the average caravan.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Kevin, Just re read your orginal enquiry, Weights of caravans

and prices.

Have you looked on the practical caravans home page, within the column headed Buying a caravan, click on dealers.

Then click onto the UK Map this will bring up a selection of dealers around England.

When you have selected any Dealer, Under the heading Please select an option, click on available stock.

I have tried severall dealers and each one you get photos of caravans for sale and selecting any one you will get the unladen and max gross weights.

Trust this helps you in your purchase, Roy.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts