Vehicles for towing

Jul 16, 2007
Visit site
I am in a sticky situiation, can any one give me any info on a good towing vehicle that is under 2.5 litre engine that can tow an elddis scirroco. Weight ladden is 1900kg.

Thanks

Mark

Jul 5, 2006
Visit site
Hi mark,

That's a difficult one, you have chosen one of the heaviest vans available. There are a few MPV's such as the Galaxy/Sharan which are rated to tow 2000kg but to be honest the Elddiss is heavier than the tow car and I for one would not like to try it. If you want to go down the 4X4 route then the Kia Sorrento diesel is 2500cc and was tow car of the year. This would make a good combination. Have a look at whattowcar.com and see what else is available.

Regards

Steve

Jul 3, 2006
Visit site
Although I am not a 4x4 fan I would agree with Stephen on this one, The VW Sharan and it's sisters are very stable towcars, more stable than many heavier offroaders but they do not have the traction for a caravan of this weight unless you go for the Sharan 4motion 4wd, even then it is on the light side and low on power for this weight of van. Is The Volvo XC90 a 2.5? they are a 4x4 that is more biased towards road than offroad, some 2.5's are little better than a 2.0 but the Volvo 2.5 is a belter

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Mark, we have a Sorento 2.5 auto and it is well capable of handling 1900kg. I agree with what has been said even though the MPV's are capable towcars they are a bit light for the Scirroco which is one of the heavier twin wheelers.

Jul 16, 2007
Visit site
Hi mark,

That's a difficult one, you have chosen one of the heaviest vans available. There are a few MPV's such as the Galaxy/Sharan which are rated to tow 2000kg but to be honest the Elddiss is heavier than the tow car and I for one would not like to try it. If you want to go down the 4X4 route then the Kia Sorrento diesel is 2500cc and was tow car of the year. This would make a good combination. Have a look at whattowcar.com and see what else is available.

Regards

Steve
thanks for your help.

Jul 16, 2007
Visit site
Hi mark,

Regards

Steve
Thanks for your help

Jul 16, 2007
Visit site
Although I am not a 4x4 fan I would agree with Stephen on this one, The VW Sharan and it's sisters are very stable towcars, more stable than many heavier offroaders but they do not have the traction for a caravan of this weight unless you go for the Sharan 4motion 4wd, even then it is on the light side and low on power for this weight of van. Is The Volvo XC90 a 2.5? they are a 4x4 that is more biased towards road than offroad, some 2.5's are little better than a 2.0 but the Volvo 2.5 is a belter
hi, thanks for your help, although as much as i would love an XC90 it's just a little out my price range.

Jul 16, 2007
Visit site
Hi Mark, we have a Sorento 2.5 auto and it is well capable of handling 1900kg. I agree with what has been said even though the MPV's are capable towcars they are a bit light for the Scirroco which is one of the heavier twin wheelers.
Thanks, been looking at the sorronto but the wife doesnt like them. i think they look the business and they will do the job no probs

Sep 16, 2006
Visit site
Mark,

There are various cars capable of the job but it all depends on your budget available to cover the purchase and running costs (towing and solo)

Sep 13, 2006
Visit site
I tow a Mendip Magnum 636 which is a lighter stablemate at 1710kg with an Alhambra (1820kg)- it tows very well.

1900kg would take the ratio over 100% and I have to admit that I might keep the Seat as a stop gap towcar, but I would be looking for a bigger one fairly quickly.

Even though I think the Alhambra would cope power and handling wise the clutch is close to the limit on my van and the tow ratio would be too high.

The Kia Sedona might be better because of higher weight and bigger engine, although it would not beat the Seats economy.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
The selection of cars with less than 2.5 litres but capable of towing 1900kg is rather limited. Here's what I could find:

Land Rover Defender 110 Td5

Kia Sorento 2.5 CRDi

Volvo XC90 D5

Mercedes Vito 2.2 CDI

Renault Espace 2.0 dCi; 2.2 dCi; 1.9dCi; 2.0 16V Turbo

VW Multivan 2.5 TDI

Seat Alhambra 1.9TDI 4WD; 2.0 TDI

SsangYong Kyron 200 XDi 4WD

Mitsubishi Shogun 2.5 TD

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
ps: If anyone reckons that I've missed a model, I have eliminated all that would exceed a 100% weight ratio because I really don't think that towing a caravan above that is a very good idea.

Jul 26, 2005
Visit site
Yes Mark, do tell us, why are you seemingly trying to make life difficult by restricting the engine size to 2.5 litres?

Apparently you have one of the heaviest vans on the market which most people, for safety's sake, would couple up to something weighing around 2 tonnes or more and a vehicle this size usually has an engine of at least 3 litres.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
ps: If anyone reckons that I've missed a model, I have eliminated all that would exceed a 100% weight ratio because I really don't think that towing a caravan above that is a very good idea.
Because the smallest X5 is a 3 litre.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts