vendee, saint gilles croix de vie, without toll roads

Aug 7, 2009
Visit site
hello everyone, we intend going to this area (vendee) in april or may, and dont want to use the toll roads if possible, as it does seem to be a bit pricey, has anyone got any advise on this...we will be coming from the tunnel and would appreciate any help, we have driven in france before but only to disneyland...thankyou if anyone can help...regards steve

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
You can use websites such as Viamichelin to plot a route without tolls (http://www.viamichelin.co.uk/). Under the more options be sure to select car and caravan, and then 'avoid tolls'.
For some destinations a toll-free route can be almost as quick as the toll route - but this doesn't apply everywhere. If I were you I'd plot two alternatives, one using toll roads, and the other not. That way you can compare timings and costs. If the time difference is little, and the cost great, then you can use toll-free, however, if you don't save a lot in tolls, and it takes you twice as long then it perhaps wouldn't be worth it.

Jul 20, 2005
Visit site
I agree with Val. We holidayed at St. Gilles Croix de Vie around 20 years ago when our children were primary school age. In those days, I don't think there were toll roads to this region! We went with Eurocamp in those days and usually took the Portsmouth-Caen crossing option. St. Gilles was as far as we could comfortably drive in a single day with two children in the car, but I seem to remember it took us around 6 hours from Caen.
Also, remember that fuel is considerably cheaper at supermarkets, so, if you take the toll route, I suggest you come off to top up.

Jo

Jul 20, 2005
Visit site
On reflection, 6 hours does sound a bit long, so perhaps I haven't got that right. Thinking about it - the ferry used to land about 3pm, so it was probably more like 4 hours!

Jo

Aug 7, 2009
Visit site
thankyou val, and jo...i tried via michelin and it just kept showing me the longer ferry route. as we will eventually be taking the dogs with us we are doing the tunnel route and then across, after looking into it it did seem extreme to pay almost as much for the toll road as the diesel. but the alternative that i did find was more than 2 hours longer...so i think it will be the toll roads, much to my wallets annoyance...thankyou again...steve

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
The way to get Viamichelin to plot your route using Eurotunnel is to start your journey from Coquelles (which is near to the tunnel terminus in France). It should then plot a route which is suiteable.

KnL

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
Hi Steve,
I had the same thought as you last year, toll roads pricey, so we'll go on toll free roads. Never again!! Like you, we went through the tunnel, travelling to Le Pin Parasol in the Vendee. I planned 2 routes, using Via Michelin, using the toll roads, and toll free roads.
Although the toll free route is scenic, it's very time consuming as you keep going into villages with speed limits. After about 4 or 5 hours I got fed up, and went to plan B and joined the toll roads for the rest of the journey. Our total journey time was about 10 hours, including a brief 30 min stop. We had our 2 kids, 11 and 8 yrs with us, and it was a long drag for them.
This year we're going the same route, but using the toll roads. I think (but i'm not sure without checking) It is cheaper to go via Rouen, Caen, Rennes and Nantes, as there are more toll free motorways, instead of going via Le Mans. It is slightly longer distance wise, but this is the route I've used in the past when coming off the Ferry at Le Havre.
Thanks,
Lara

Aug 7, 2009
Visit site
thankyou lara for the reply, very informative, and like you say after i looked into it , it probably is better to use the toll roads. i will just factor it in to diesel cost, that way i may not notice the cost. as an after thought i wondered if the toll booths accept cash still, or does it have to be card. as a matter of principle we no longer do credit cards, but do have the debit ones. can anyone advise on this ..thankyou to all regards steve

KnL

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
Hello again Steve,
Someone like Val is probably more up to date with info like that, but when we travelled in August 2010, I used my Nationwide Debit card for some transactions, and cash for the smaller amounts. I can't recall a toll booth on that stretch that didn't accept both, I think you are usually given both options.

Cheers,
Lara.

KnL

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
Hello again Steve,
Someone like Val is probably more up to date with info like that, but when we travelled in August 2010, I used my Nationwide Debit card for some transactions, and cash for the smaller amounts. I can't recall a toll booth on that stretch that didn't accept both, I think you are usually given both options.

Cheers,
Lara.

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
KnL said:
Hi Steve,
This year we're going the same route, but using the toll roads. I think (but i'm not sure without checking) It is cheaper to go via Rouen, Caen, Rennes and Nantes, as there are more toll free motorways, instead of going via Le Mans. It is slightly longer distance wise, but this is the route I've used in the past when coming off the Ferry at Le Havre.
Thanks,
Lara
If my memory serves me right Caen to Nantes is completely toll free until South of Nantes on A84 Autoroute and Dual carriageway

Jul 18, 2005
Visit site
Hi Steve, We travel each year to St Gilles area. We used to go Portsmouth to Caen, and travel down , but last year we went by tunnel so much easier and quicker. Our journey went via Le Mans, where we stayed overnight , then on down to St Gilles. I tow a caravan and find it less hassel to go the direct route. the tolls were about £30 if i recall. thats about six pints of beer. Hope this helps Alan

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts