vin numbers

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Looking to change caravans in the near future.

the one I am interested in is a 2011 to 2014 Swift Challenger 565 and spotted one for sale at a local dealership which was still awaiting preparation for sale after a trade in,

the problem I have is that there is no VIN numbers engraved to any of the 3 front windows which look new .

I spoke to the salesman who only been in the job for a few weeks couldn't explain why? so I left.

advice as regards this would be appreciated. should I just walk away etc.

regards Terrence

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
Replaced front windows due to damage/cracking/layers touching/etc? Quite a few possibilities. Do the numbers on the other windows tie up with the data plate and CRiS document?

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
all the other windows did have numbers on them but i did not check if they were all the same or against the CHRIS document,....the salesman didn't seem bothered about it so I left.

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
Good explanation from WC.

If the salesman wasn't interested in getting you an answer then you did the right thing in walking away as a bad start with a dealer generally shows what their service would be like if you buy from them and later have a problem.

Stay away, plenty more vans out there with dealers that do care about their customers :)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It could well be that the front windows have been replaced for a valid reason, when we had a window replaced we were provided with a cris etching kit for the new window that matched all of the others, as others have said walk away if there is any doubt. If the repairer couldn't be bothered to re etch the new windows what else have they failed to do.

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
The OP said the van was a trade-in to that dealer, so to be fair the windows could have been replaced BEFORE the dealer had the van and possibly would not know why the windows were replaced. Innocent until proven guilty. :whistle:

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
My van - Swift - doesn.t have the number etched in it (front) as I have had a new window in under warranty, until this post not even thought about it!

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Gabsgrandad said:
My van - Swift - doesn.t have the number etched in it (front) as I have had a new window in under warranty, until this post not even thought about it!
Same here. Had a new middle window when I purchased the van, just popped out to see if it is etched and it's not.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Same as Dave A, new middle front window under warranty, but no etching on new window.
Remember sales men are just that not always caravan bods . But they should know the basic stuff. About CRIS.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Hutch
Our kit came from Coachman had to prove the number from the old window and they sent a kit with a stencil and gel, you stick the stencil on the window and paint on the gel, leave to dry, and peel off the stencil, job done, after a couple of months the new number faded to match the originals

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Any half decent dealership when asked the question would at least try via some avenues to get you the answer.

Like someone else said walk away as there is plenty of great dealers out there with good quality stock that could answer questions about their stock at the drop of a hat.

Take your dough somewhere else.

Tony.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Auspom said:
Any half decent dealership when asked the question would at least try via some avenues to get you the answer.

Like someone else said walk away as there is plenty of great dealers out there with good quality stock that could answer questions about their stock at the drop of a hat.

Take your dough somewhere else.

Tony.[/quote yes, he walked Away from me with his list when I asked if it ever had a front end impact, :oops:

TRENDING THREADS