Volkswagen Transporter

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Sorry JONNY ROCKSTAR I haven't had to explain myself in such detail before, but just for you.
I though it might be obvious that I was refering to a twin axle caravan given that I'm on the Practical Caravan forum. Maybe I take to many things for granted !!!!

PETERA

Feb 19, 2006
Visit site
Hi

We tow a large twin axle caravan ( Burstner 630 TS 2000kg ) with a VW Caravelle 2.5 TDI 174. It tows really well, it has loads of pulling power and we find it very stable. It tows up most hills in 6th gear with cruise control on without slowing.

Solo I get about 34mpg and with the caravan we get about 25mpg. We have towed with it around Europe quite a few times with no problems.

I think the 130 bhp would also be ok for towing.

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
i had a t4 2.5 which was superb and towed very well indeed however the loan van i had when my gearbox failled under warranty was a 1.9 tdi 130 and this was a pretty poor, i would not have liked to tow with it. it did have 130 bhp but it really seemed to lack any real pulling power, with this in mind i would definately recomend you get the 2.5. great vans to drive and the sound the 5 cylinder 2.5 makes is addictive, fuel economy was not as good as my transit 2.2 tdci 140 is now but i supose that's the years that make the difference plus my transit is re-mapped to 187 bhp and 10 % better fuel economy.
overall a great van will last and will be a treat to drive solo and towing so long as you avoid the 1.9 tdi.

Dec 2, 2009
Visit site
We have a friend who tows with a 1.9TDI Transporter .....like Icemaker says - don't go there. We know lots of people who tow with Vauxhall Vivaros - we tow with a 2.0 115BHP Vivaro - no issues at all.
Jim

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts