Volkswagon Passat Estate 140bhp against 170bhp

Apr 13, 2009
Visit site
I am thinking of buying a different tow car, has anyone got any experience of towing with a Passat? I quite fancy a 170 Sport, but there are not many around! they are mainly the 140 version. Is their much difference in these two power outputs? My caravan has a MIRO of 1207kg and MTPLM of 1422kg. Also I quite fancy a DSG, again any experience?

Thanks.

Dec 13, 2005
Visit site
I have a Touran with the 170 engine - highly recommended - used for towing 1495kg MTPLM. I used to have the 140 which was fine but this is even better - amazing torque. Both manual, so no experience of DSG, but I understand that the auto box is very good.

Jun 21, 2006
Visit site
I am now on my second 170 bhp TD Skoda Octavia vRS. The first one had the older PD engine, the new one has the new Common Rail engine.

Both tow well but track down the common rail versions as they are quieter, smoother, more economical and IMHO have the edge for towing.

Jul 4, 2006
Visit site
we currently tow a 1420 mptlm van with 140 passat estate. great car but imho avoid the sport - no cruise control - 140 is plenty and the auto hold is brilliant in traffic, get one with the auto hold buttton next to the gear lever if you go for a manual, no real experience of dsg only driven one in a scirocco and personally didn't like it. Cant beat 140bhp, with cruise very relaxing 60mph is 2000 revs but better in fifth than sixth.

Jun 23, 2008
Visit site
Jsut to add that I have an Audi A4 (VW group of course) with the 170PS engine and although cannot offer a comparison with the 140PS can state that my engine pulls superbly well.

My younger son says it accellerates better towing than his Rover 200 does solo! (ok its an old car)

I do sometimes wish I had gone for the 4 wheel drive (quattro) however but I guess this is the usual balance between solo (probably 80% of the time) and towing requirements.

Bill D.

Jul 25, 2007
Visit site
I am sure that either Passat will make a good enough tow car for any caravan that is light enough. However why pay out the premium price for the VW badge when you could get a Mondeo estate for less, which would be a newer design, bigger and a better drivers car. Plus it has won the tow car of the year award from the Caravan Club. Worth mentioning also that despite reputation Fords are just as reliable if not more so than VWs.

Jan 2, 2007
Visit site
David

we have a Sport 4-Motion 140 bhp TDI estate manual(weighed 1640kg on weighbridge with no driver, 90% fuel and no extra kit in car), pulling a Bailey Senator Indiana (MIRO 1248kg, MTPLM 1500kg) loaded to about 1450kg. We get 25-27mpg towing, 47-52mpg Solo (this is with DPF, which reduces mpg over std engine). We got this model as the 4-Motion is some 100kg heavier than the 140 estate with DSG, which we took on a test drive to the same local weighbridge (it weighed 1530kg). Its powerful enough, maintains 60mph in 6th (mostly), but doesn't attack hills like our old X-Trail 2.2 diesel 136 bhp.

Mind the weights stated in VW brochures - they are not reliable.

Of the 2 cars, fuel consumption is similar towing, but solo, the Passat wins.

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

we have the dsg 2litre sel 170hp.It is a steam train at towing and easily pulls our up-weighted dethleffs camper which has a max mass of 1700kg and i get no issues with power.However i do wish i had gone for the 140hp 4motion as when towing nothing beats 4wd and there have been a few juction take offs where ive chewed a bit of rubber and i am careful with loading and never have a real nose up attitude the 4wd would eleviate that problem.That said in the current market touraegs are a good buy i could of had a year old touraeg v6 far cheaper than the passat and it would of easily out towed the passat,that said the passat 170 is a 48mpg rocket without the van and the dsg box is heaven although i tow in the manual mode,

regards

andy

Apr 13, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for all your info, I will probably go for 170 sport, not to bothered about cruise control. Still would like a DSG, but not heard to many good reviews. When did the common rail engines come out. Thanks

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts