Volvo S60 D5 163hp manual 2004

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have the chance to buy this car has anyone any views on it as a tow car towing caravan 0f 1300kg

Hope someone can give me advice

Thanks

Carol

Nov 1, 2005
Visit site
1300kgs is no problem to the d5. good friend of mine towed an elddis at that weight with an s60 d5 quite easily. he even managed to tow a 1700kilo bailey with it, but it was working quite a bit to do it.

Nov 14, 2007
Visit site
Carol,

I had one of these for a few years and it will tow your van without a problem. I towed a Coachman Amara MTPL 1450kgs and it was a very stable match. It has plenty of power and economy was good about 40-45 mpg solo and 28-30 towing. The only slight problem was that steering lock is pathetic and it takes some getting used to especially if reversing your van into a tight space and I found the 1st gear a little high ratio, but other than that it was excellent with one of the most comfortable driving seats in its class.

Hope this helps

Huw

G

Power wise it will tow without issue. I also agree the turning circle is as big as the Titanic's, but you get used to it. However, you will probably find that the back end is sitting like a 'duck's b.m' with 70kg noseweight, as the suspension is quite soft. You really need to swop the shockers for Nivomats which are self levelling and worth their weight in gold for easier towing. Rear leg room is not as good as the S80, but as a medium sized car it is excellent. Just make sure it has a full Volvo service history and if the mileage is anywhere near 70000 get the timimg belt changed. I know Volvo specify later, but it is not worth the risk.

Tow bars can be suplied by many Companies, however the Volvo one will allow the dash trailer lights to operate. Others use a beeper in the boot.

G

Good luck. Remember the slogan 'A Volvo is for life'. They can be addictive.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Good luck. Remember the slogan 'A Volvo is for life'. They can be addictive.
Hi Scotch Lad

You are right, we had a Volvo 240 GLE, then a 740 from new which we kept for nineteen years, which took us to France and back for all that time, with not many problems that my hubby couldn't fix. Next came our present Volvo S70, which is a great tow car, but is now ten years old, but still brilliant. We retired three years ago, and are looking for a Volvo to carry on. YES they are so addictive.

TRENDING THREADS