Volvo Vs Audi???

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We have today ordered ourselves an Ace Award Tristar with a mtplm of around 1400. Needing another tow car we have discounted 4x4s due to high running costs.Being just a couple we are reluctant to buy a 7 seater MPV and are looking at a Volvo V70 or Audi A6 Avant (probably a 2001 reg) Does anyone tow a similar sized van with either one of these?? If so your comments and advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The ordinary motoring press haven't rated the Audi A6 for some time, they seem to think the suspension / handling is below par.

The Volvo V70 is a fine tow car but isn't as roomy as you might think.

Also consider the Vauxhall Vectra Estate, it's heavier and roomier than the Volvo. The recent 1.9 CDTi engines are excellent for power and economy but if you prefer petrol the V6 takes a lot of beating.

Sep 1, 2005
Visit site
Have you condidered a Merc E Class estate or saloon. Probably one of the best diesel cars on the road along with the BMW 5 series. In petrol guise they're just as good solo but not as good as the diesel for towing.

Col

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Now thats funny Kanga - I always assumed you had a caravan seeing as you regularly infect this forum with your childish input.

Now it would seem that you advocate sleeping in the back of your car!

Bit "under the arm" Kanga - even for you

Apr 15, 2005
Visit site
Dear Caroline,

We towed an Abbey Aventura 325 MPTLM 1350kg's + motor mover with a '99 A6 Auto Tiptronic 2.4 Avant (27mpg solo and 20 -22 mpg towing)until June this year. We found it to be an excellent tow car and only changed it due to the high mileage. We are now towing with a 2.2 di X Trail which is also very good (42 - 46 mpg solo and 32 towing).

Hope this is of interest to you.

Max.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
To be specific I tow a Lunar Clubman 475/2 with a Volvo V70 auto.

I have recently completed a 3000 mile trip through Central Europe to Slovenia and back. Never once did the V70 put a foot wrong. It is a big powerful car quite capable of maintaining the legal limit with or without a 'van on the hook. It is a big roomy car, despite the comment by another author on this thread. There are only 2 of us but the chief of staff insists that everything goes including the kitchen sink and the V70 just swallows this up. Fuel consumption averaged 26mpg overall, 23 ish towing. Go for the V70 you won't regret it.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I tow with a V70 & its the best tow car i've had. its a 1999 2.5 petrol get the diesel if you can but its a great puller. Just come back from Holland towing an Ace globetrotter pulling at about 93% of kerbweight & it was as steady as a rock. That was with 2 adults & 2 teenagers (4 adults then!)Sorry to previous comments but i've owned a Vectra est & would say the V70 has much more room pulling power. If you can afford go for the newer model V70 yr 2000> with self leveling suspension. enjoy!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
hello Caroline ( from another Caroline!!)

We tow a Elddis Avante 534 with a 2003 Volvo V70 D5 and its the best car we have ever had, don't where the idea came it wasn't as roomy inside!! Its plently big enough and the "cabin " is very luxurious!! as you can see I am a fan we also get over 30 MPG towing which I suspect is far more than most large cars.

Oct 11, 2005
Visit site
We tow a 2004 Swift Challenger 550 with a 2003 Volvo V70 T5 Auto.

Obviously with 250 BHP on tap you don't get overtaken on hills but you do pay a heavy penalty on fuel consumption as its a 2.3 turbo charged petrol engine. The traction control gets a good workout when pulling out of junctions!. The auto (Geartronic) box copes well with towing.

I know several people with the D5 V70 and they report excellent performance and MPG (wish I had gone that route in hindsight!).

The Volvo is like driving an armchair and the build quality is faultless. I have covered 55,000 miles in 2.5 years without problems. I drive it fairly hard when solo and don't look after it at all (company car if you hadn't guessed!!!). Most of HM's Police Forces use them so they must be pretty good.

The climate control is excellent too.

My only real complaint is the steering lock which is hopeless - it won't go 360 degrees round most mini roundabouts in one go!!!.

Still, it's a TD5 Discovery next - far better in the mud!!

David

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Colleagues at work have both of these cars, I looked long and hard at 200 era Volvo and Audis whilst buying my previous car, and I remember that:

Both the Volvo and the Audi have excellent seats, providing good comfort and support on long journeys. No real difference here.

If you are 6ft or taller, the Volvo V70 had less headroom for the driver - this was my main reason for rejecting it. The saloon S60 and S80 - which are a newer generation - are much better for front headroom and on a par with the Audi.

The 2000 era Volvo V70 D5 used the Audi A6 2.5 TDI engine under licence, but could be had in either 140 bhp or 160+ (better) bhp tune. No real difference here, should get similar or identical towing performance between the makes. Just try to get the higher output engine - it burns less fuel too.

Some time after 2000 Volvo introduced its own D5 Diesel engine and this is OK too.

The self levelling rear suspension is worth looking out for.

In the end I went the German route - because of the V70 headroom - but both are good quality, robust cars.

Robert

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I changed from a Passat estate to a Volvo V70 D5 back in Feb 05.

The car is great in every respect and has plenty of room even for me ( 6'3" 19 stone ex rugby player ). It has load compensating suspension and I tow a Bailey Senator Arizona with an mtplm of 1472kg. In the summer we went down to Biarritz and back with ease. My trip to the office each day is around 20 miles one way and at around 60 - 65mph on cruise control I'm averaging around 55 to the gallon.

Sep 30, 2005
Visit site
We tow a 2004 Swift Challenger 550 with a 2003 Volvo V70 T5 Auto.

Obviously with 250 BHP on tap you don't get overtaken on hills but you do pay a heavy penalty on fuel consumption as its a 2.3 turbo charged petrol engine. The traction control gets a good workout when pulling out of junctions!. The auto (Geartronic) box copes well with towing.

I know several people with the D5 V70 and they report excellent performance and MPG (wish I had gone that route in hindsight!).

The Volvo is like driving an armchair and the build quality is faultless. I have covered 55,000 miles in 2.5 years without problems. I drive it fairly hard when solo and don't look after it at all (company car if you hadn't guessed!!!). Most of HM's Police Forces use them so they must be pretty good.

The climate control is excellent too.

My only real complaint is the steering lock which is hopeless - it won't go 360 degrees round most mini roundabouts in one go!!!.

Still, it's a TD5 Discovery next - far better in the mud!!

David
Hi David

if you think the Volvo has poor steering lock wait until you try the TD5!!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts