Vw Tiguan

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
Thanks for that. I've asked around and like you say it looks like a blast down the motorway once a month keeps most diesels ticking over.
That advice is outdated IMO.

I'm on my 4th DPF car only do under 7k miles most of it on A and B roads.

On average my longest run a week is 12miles.

Had my diesel Tiguan near 2 years now and interrupted a burn at least 5 times during that period.

IME it was mainly early DPF cars that had issues.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
That advice is outdated IMO.

I'm on my 4th DPF car only do under 7k miles most of it on A and B roads.

On average my longest run a week is 12miles.

Had my diesel Tiguan near 2 years now and interrupted a burn at least 5 times during that period.

IME it was mainly early DPF cars that had issues.
Its not quite that simple. Newer cars may well have revised DPF management schemes, but there are still a lot of other factors that will affect how quickly a filter may become obstructed and need a regeneration.

Just for example, the Passat I have was available with 150 or 170bhp options. Now I do not tow with it, so the circumstances are quite different, but my tame garage and others tell me the 170bhp version (the one I have) needs to regenerate far more frequently than the 150bhp versions. It is also highly dependant on the distance and speeds and consequently the engine temperature you can achieve in your normal driving. I live in a conurbation where speeds are typically restricted to 20, 30 and 40mph, and in parts a lot of stop - start congestion.

I suspect the fuel economy savings of my diesel are effectively eroded when I have to deliberately go and find a dual carriage way where I can run the regeneration to clear the DPF.

When the we have got through the pandemic, and my financial position is clearer I will be looking for petrol PHEV as most of my journeys could be done on electric only range, and becasue Birmingham and several other towns and cities in my locality are setting up Low Emission Zones and charging me when I have to go to the several hospitals for appointments.

I do not tow with my Passat

Reactions: otherclive
Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
Its not quite that simple. Newer cars may well have revised DPF management schemes, but there are still a lot of other factors that will affect how quickly a filter may become obstructed and need a regeneration.

Just for example, the Passat I have was available with 150 or 170bhp options. Now I do not tow with it, so the circumstances are quite different, but my tame garage and others tell me the 170bhp version (the one I have) needs to regenerate far more frequently than the 150bhp versions. It is also highly dependant on the distance and speeds and consequently the engine temperature you can achieve in your normal driving. I live in a conurbation where speeds are typically restricted to 20, 30 and 40mph, and in parts a lot of stop - start congestion.

I suspect the fuel economy savings of my diesel are effectively eroded when I have to deliberately go and find a dual carriage way where I can run the regeneration to clear the DPF.

When the we have got through the pandemic, and my financial position is clearer I will be looking for petrol PHEV as most of my journeys could be done on electric only range, and becasue Birmingham and several other towns and cities in my locality are setting up Low Emission Zones and charging me when I have to go to the several hospitals for appointments.

I do not tow with my Passat
I think you meant to say 150ps not 150bhp.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
i have 2018 Volkswagen Tiguan i dont find the boot small when i can get a Petgear for two dogs on one side a foldable mobilty scooter on other.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
That’s a bit pedantic as we are only talking 0.986 difference.
148 bhp near enough but not 150bhp, personally I never understand why people quote figures that the manufactures don't.

And some simply don't realise that HP, PS and BHP are not the same.

Salesmen love to mislead quoting BHP when its not, I first came across this in 2004 when buying an xtrail...

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
148 bhp near enough but not 150bhp, personally I never understand why people quote figures that the manufactures don't.

Salesmen love to mislead quoting BHP when its not, I first came across this in 2004 when buying an xtrail...
Blame the Germans! PS is Pferdestarke (Horse Power in German) from their domestic DIN system and shouldn't really be used outside Germany but the automotive industry is so dominated by the Germans it's come into common use within the EU. The official measure within the EU is actually KW but not used commonly - ironically the KW rating is often rounded to the nearest 5 or 10 and then converted to PS so none of them are that exact..

If you go back far enough there used to be a big difference between HP of British and American cars - here we used net BHP which was measured with all ancillaries like generator working but America used SAE BHP which was measured with all ancillaries disconnected.

Reactions: otherclive
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site

I would challenge any driver to be able to discriminate between a salesman saying “X bhp” compared to X ps” either on a test drive or during ownership. HP and BHP only serve to cloud the “ps versus bhp“ issue.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The actual figures I used are not relevant in themselves except to serve to show that different levels of tune amongst other things can affect the rate of depositions into a DPF.

But for Extrailman's sensibilities I should have quoted 138bhp vs 167bhp

Reactions: xtrailman

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts